1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Someone else at work!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Jim1454, Jan 25, 2010.

1. Jim1454

I was talking about having been to the movies on the weekend, and one of my employees asked if I had taken my kids, and I said no. And then I continued to say that 'we' had arrived quite early to get a good seat (we saw Avatar). And she piped up again and said "I know I'm being nosey, but who's the 'we'?"

I wasn't quite sure what to say, because it is a bit of a 'bombshell' to drop on someone (at least I still think so). Another person, who does know I'm gay, changed the subject, so I didn't answer. But the first employee stopped by my office to ask a work related question at the end of the day, and at that time I told her that I was gay - and that it was my boyfriend that I was out with.

She was very cool with it. I think she even said "I know." :confused: At any rate, she said that her best friend, who also works here, is also gay, but didn't come out to her until after they'd known each other for ages. She was happy for me. Yay!

So she's the first of the staff people that I've come out to. Previously it had only been the 3 people who report directly to me - and this person reports to one of them. One day soon I'll just start doing what Lex always suggests - talk about my boyfriend as though everyone already knows. That will be a very good day. :icon_bigg

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awesome Jim! Yep, soon you can stand around the water cooler and talk about your plans for the weekend with your boyfriend without having to give it a second thought!

Congratulations! :slight_smile:

3. Becky1234

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi Jim,

What a great step to take....well done! Maybe this will be a lot easier than you have anticipated. When your co-worker said "I know," how did it make you feel? I ask because on some level I have felt a tiny bit of relief when people have "found out" about me because someone was gossiping. Don't get me wrong, I don't like to be gossiped about at all, and in many situations it feels unpleasant and out of control to have others out me, but there are a few people who have found out about me, and I feel relieved that it is one less person to deal with and it did not have to come from me directly. I sort of feel like by the time they see me, it will be old news, and it won't be a big deal anymore.

Anyway, that aside, congrats to you. I hope it is the beginning of lots of great outcomes with your colleagues, and pretty soon you will be able to speak freely and not hesitate to talk at work about your great partner.

Becky :slight_smile:

4. EM68

Congrats Jim!

5. Dr Acula

Congrats. I've just reached the stage where I can talk about guys as if it is completely normal - such a good feeling :grin:.

6. shorty

Sometimes the grapevine isn't a bad way to go i think. Yeah it sucks that people talk about you behind your back, but it's just they way people are. We are all nosey to some degree and don't mind a bit of gossip :slight_smile:

Congrats Jim, your workplace seems pretty cool..

7. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great, Jim! Congrats on telling her! :eusa_clap

Being out to people outside of your immediate colleagues is definitely the best next step to take. Even if it is a bombshell at first, it can only get more and more easy over time.

8. Jim1454

I came out to another of my peers over the phone yesterday - and it went just fine.

So today I was on the professional networking site that I have a profile on and I decided to join an LGBT group there. That means that my existing contacts will all recive an update stating that I've joined that particular group!

I figure - why not?!?

9. RaeofLite

I can imagine how awkward it is to Come out in a work setting. I'm out to basically everyone else except work related settings. I don't know. I figure if the issue comes up or I'm asked, I'll probably stumble, laugh, and come out and then make a joke about being a word clutz or something. :slight_smile:

Congrats though. And way to show your pride with joining the group! And just because you join an LGBT group doesn't make you 'gay'... *wink* You could be a supporter in someone's eyes too. :slight_smile:

10. EM68

Wow Jim! That is great. I'm glad that you feel comfortable enough to come out at work. Right now I'm stuck on this. I want to come out but there are a few homophobic coworkers and I'm afraid of what they may say.

Last night I had a great opportunity to come out to a coworker. We are both 'friends' on Facebook. I commented on some new pictures he put up of his baby boy. Then he asked me how things are going with my 'girlfriend'. On my Facebook profile it says 'In a relationship'. I froze instead of correcting him I said we are good. I feel like a coward. I hate not having the guts to come out at work. I feel distant from my coworkers. They don't know about me because I don't talk much about myself. Sorry about this mini rant.