1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to Staff

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Markio, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Markio

I work as a resident advisor at my university, and the whole residence life staff is very friendly. Today the staff of every building met in a conference room for staff training before the spring semester.

Our last session focused on social justice, and so we had a special guest come and lead us through different exercises with issues of identity. Our last exercise was called the walk of privilege, where we all stood even on a line, and the leader would read statements regarding identity, such as, "If you've ever had to go hungry or miss a meal because you didn't have enough money, take a step back," or "If you commonly see people of your gender in leadership roles, take a step forward." By the end of the exercise, all the straight white males were in the front, the people of color or poor women were in the back. Most of the women and I were in the middle.

After the exercise, we were free to lead ourselves in a discussion. A guy of color that I think is cool was very angry at the denial and ignorance of the privileged members of the staff, and his words were very passionate and sparked a lot of heated but honest dialogue.

I felt so alone as the only guy in the middle of the room, because aside from my sexual orientation, I probably would have been at the front of the room. My brothers would have been in the front, and would have expected me to be up there too, because I'm not out to my family. I wasn't exactly out to the resident advisors either; I was out to maybe almost half of them, though mostly just the women. I continued to tentatively raise my hand, but most people simply interrupted or didn't notice. Finally, a girl I was previously close to had her chance to speak and was very passionate as well. She ended her turn by saying, in tears, "Now [Markio] is going to speak because he's been raising his hand for the past twenty minutes!"

I came out. I just said, "I feel so alone, as practically the only guy in the middle of the room, and one of the only few people here who isn't straight. Even my family wouldn't be here [in the middle] with me." I kept pausing because I was having trouble speaking while trying not to cry. I choked a bit, laughed at the fact I was choking, and continued with "It's like I want to be at the front, l want to feel guilty for the privilege I have and be up there, but I can't. I can't fit in. I'm here in the middle, away from everybody that I love. Why can't we all be level on the line? F**k the line."

The dialogue continued, and afterwards a (very straight) guy came over and said, "come here," and we hugged. No one seemed annoyed at my sharing, but whatever, I don't really care how other people react, because it's their problem now. I'm now out to all the resident advisors, and I don't have to worry about who on which building staff knows and who doesn't. I don't about any "shoulder weight being lifted", but I definitely feel relieved. :astonished:

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Awwee. They did something for us like that at orientation. They were like stand up if you know what it's like for/to be *insert minority here.* That was nice of the guy to hug you. I don't think many straight guys are secure enough with themselves to do something like that.

3. Zume

Thats amazing..congratulations :thumbsup:

<3'd the (*hug*) part ^_^

4. Sylver

You did something awesome today - you stood up for yourself and who you truly are. And it sounded like you were as passionate as anyone else there. That makes you nothing short of incredible in my books! :eusa_hand

5. RaeofLite

Wow that's pretty incredible. The amount of courage too.. :eusa_clap

I got teary reading that. :frowning2:

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's just fantastic! Even in a supportive group of friends, it can still be difficult to open up like that, and it's great that you felt comfortable enough in that setting to do that. And each person who shares honestly helps another to take that step as well.

I'm guessing that in the coming days you will feel even more of a lifting up of your spirit :slight_smile:

7. Eleanor Rigby

That's wonderful (*hug*) ! You must be very proud of you (I know I am).

8. Same here. :icon_bigg

Congrats! That was a very brave thing to do.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Markio, that is fantastic. Congratulations! :slight_smile:

10. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  11. Markio

Thanks for the comments, peoples. (&&&) It was scary, but later in the conversation, a girl toward the front of the "walk" added that she felt terrible that even other members of her family wouldn't be up there with her, because her dad is gay and in a relationship. I was glad that I was able to bring up the LGB issue, so that she could be honest about her family, too. :thumbsup:

12. Jim1454

That's a really awesome story. Sounds like it was a pretty powerful exercise that you did. Good job!

13. Sylver

That has got to be karma at work... See what happens when you drop a pebble into a pond?

14. eXaphania

eXaphania Guest

Congratulations~Your experience made me a little teary eyed. Need to abolish the line all together.

15. Alex19

im proud of that straight guy that hugged u. hes pretty damn cool