1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need to tell you this...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Sylver, Feb 3, 2010.

1. Sylver

I want to share a true story with you. It's really hard for me to tell, but I have to do this.

During the first week of last month I was feeling kind of "off", like something was wrong inside but I couldn't put my finger on it. I suspected that it had something to do with my recent journey of self-discovery which had pretty much stalled out. I had first come out to my best friend a couple of years ago, and to my sister last year. Both were momentous events in my life, but I had sort of let the process drift since then, just between getting caught up in work and finding ways to avoid the tougher challenges ahead like coming out to my parents.

I've never kept a journal or anything like that before, but I had heard that sometimes just writing your feelings down can be helpful. I had nothing planned for that evening, so I brought out my computer and started to type everything that came to mind about what was bothering me. I ended up typing two whole pages of stuff, mostly a rambling analysis of my "sexual identification" process to date. The very last paragraph I typed was exactly this;

"I feel so sorry for my inner child; I want to cry for him for days on end. This child was belittled, told that he was unloved and unwanted, demoralized, emotionally beaten, berated, punished for wrongs he didn't commit, and left to fend for himself without parental love. He was told by the other kids that he was not normal, then he had to learn that this was in fact true, because he was gay. He discovered that the kind of love he thirsted for could not easily be delivered, and came with a great price extracted by society, by parents, and by fate; this love was wrong. He was put into a corner, told not to speak of his needs, and was diminished. And to this very day he waits in that corner, hurt, scared..."

For some reason, I couldn't finish that last sentence. I wasn't freaking out or anything, I just couldn't find what to say next, almost like I had a mental block. Whatever, I put the computer away and went to bed.

About 4:30 the following morning I woke up and I couldn't get back to sleep (unusual for me). I put on my iPod and started listening to some of my "mood music". Suddenly the end of that last sentence came to me like a flash of light - "...because no one has yet told him that it's OK to come out of the corner." After years of blaming my parents and the world for everything wrong in my life, I realized that I was the one who had put that child in the corner, and I was the one who hadn't yet given him permission to come out of the corner.

Then I started to cry. I mean I really started crying, and it got worse and worse until I was sobbing out loud and shaking like a leaf, just the most body-wracking sobs you can imagine (good thing I was alone). I cried for an hour and a half straight, most of it coming from a place deep inside that I've never seen before. I was literally screaming out loud "I don't want to be gay!!" over and over again. I cried until I had nothing left to cry. Now this is totally out of character for me. I'm not sure I've ever really cried since I was a young kid, and certainly not like this ever in my life. It's like years and years of bottling things up just let loose in one big explosion that I couldn't hold back any more.

It was a curious thing, though. I knew I wasn't crying out of depression or sadness, I was crying because I had come to a very important realization. It was immediately obvious to me what was wrong - my coming out process was incomplete. By not being fully out to the world, I was still lying to myself. By not ending the lie once and for all I was telling my gay "inner child" that I was still ashamed of him, and that's what was hurting like hell.

That emotionally intense event very effectively got me up off my ass. I started hunting on the Internet for what I had to do next. After a few false starts I discovered Empty Closets, and it took me probably 10 minutes of reading to know that this was where I needed to be. Prior to this event I wouldn't have had the guts to join an LGBT group (even online), but I joined EC that day, and here I am!!

I'm telling you this because I am hell-bent on getting this right once and for all, and I'm gaining confidence that I can do this. If I can get up the nerve to tell this personal story to the whole EC world, then I can get up the nerve to do what has to come next. Thanks for hearing me out!

2. Gaetan

:eusa_clap
    Much of that echoes what I went through. I was in denial for so long because I didn't want to be gay. I really didn't. Finally when I sat down and literally told myself, "stop it. You're gay," I cried. I found EC less than a week later.

3. The Paradigm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see, you finally had your epiphany.
    Congrulations! (*hug*)

4. EM68

Congrats! You took a huge step. Pat yourself on the back.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ahhh James...........thanks for sharing that. I'm sure most of the people here have felt that way at one time or the other. It is my dream that parents will someday teach their children when they are young that whatever sexual orientation or gender identity that they are, it will be OKAY with them. It would spare alot of anguish. Congratulations on your break through and let me know if I can be of help in coming out to your parents.

6. s5m1

James, thanks for sharing that with us. I also went through similar feelings, and they were really intense. As part of the coming out process, many of us go through the five stages of grieving: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. It sounds like that is what you have been experiencing. Once you get to acceptance and come out, life as a gay man can actually be a lot of fun. Congratulations on this big step!

7. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think crying is one of the most... important things we have the ability to do and I honestly think none of us do it anywhere near enough.

I can think of two times in my life where I've cried as you've described--happily neither time was about being gay. But I often wish I could cry like that more.

8. Markio

(*hug*):thumbsup:

9. Étoile

(*hug*) That had to be a HUGE emotional jeap for you. Letting it all out helps sometimes.

10. adam88

Thank you for posting that. As others have said, I've felt very much the same way. Thus my New Years' resolution.

11. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for telling your story! It's odd sometimes how epiphanies like these can happen and make a change. Figuring out that you can make the change you need in your life (and not society, or parents, or anyone else) is very liberating indeed.

I also never cease being amazed at how different some people react to the same realisation. When I finally realised it was OK to be gay, I couldn't help but laugh as if I finally got the end of a joke someone told me a long time ago... So almost the exact inverse of your reaction. As the saying goes, there's many roads that lead to Rome, though.

You can do what you need to do! Don't hurry too much, though. Having a plan is already half of the work.
    In any case, it's good that you found us to share the load and make strides forward!

12. Eleanor Rigby

Thanks for sharing this with us James (*hug*) (*hug*).
    You can't imagine how much what you said about your "inner child" touches me. We have different journey, but I deeply can relate to that. It took me years and a long therapy to finaly be able to take the little girl inside me by the hand and to tell her that she wasn't responsible for things that happened to her.
    Forgiving and accepting oneself can be a long and difficult process. I'm happy you've come to the realization it was ok for your inner child to be who he is. And I'm happy you've found EC and that you are comfortable enought among us to share that very intimate part of your process.
    Many (*hug*), Cécile

13. Possibly Maybe

Damn you just made me cry too.

14. Jim1454

Wow. That's a very moving post that you've made here. That kind of self awareness is something that many people never exerpience in their life. What an amazing emotional release that was for you.

Thanks for sharing.

15. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

Thanks for sharing! I can relate to a lot of what you went through. Since I hit puberty I've drifted between anger, denial, depression and bargaining, never reaching acceptance and I can't remember a time in my life where I wasn't angry, in denial, depressed or trying desperately to bargain with God so He'd change me. Finally I broke down. I was watching the clips of ATWT with Luke and Noah and on the show Luke asked Noah something like 'how's does it end, [if you pretend to be straight]? That broke me and after I thought about it for a day I realized that staying in the closet I definitly end up unhappy and depressed, if I come out there is at least a chance of happiness. So I came out to myself and it was the most incredible feeling in the world. Thank you for sharing, I hope everything goes well for you, I'm sure it will be hard but it will definitly be better.

16. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    James, having just joined up I find myself bumping into your posts frequently. I wonder if you know what a treasure your presence already is....

I can't want for for more !!!

17. Sylver

Well, I like it here! :icon_bigg

Actually, the only thing this shows is that I'm spending way too much time on EC and not enough time doing my work that pays the bills. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Oh well, I'm allowing myself this chance to fix a part of me that's in need of repair. I'd rather be a poor man who knows exactly who he is than a rich man without a clue!

18. Zume

Simply wonderful :eusa_clap Thank you for sharing that, James. It's been said in several responses but I too feel as though what you posted reflects what many of us have felt. I'm at work so had to keep myself from crying :icon_wink I think that when I realised it was ok to be gay I didn't laugh nor cry too much. All I did was change my perspective, the way I acted towards people and how I look. The realisation that it's ok to be gay in my oppinion is much like a rose bud opening up into a rose..you can finally be who you were born to be. (I know..corny but it's how I look at life)

Amazingly I have the same New Year's resolution..haha

19. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow! great to know you've made it over the hump there. There always seems to be that one thing we have hardest time letting go of, but once we do it's a flood.

All that crying cleanse you that emotonal toxin you've been holding inside you for so long.

Glad to see you've found a path for yourself.

20. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nice job, James. So much of what you describe is my story as well. I look forward to more of your posts matt