1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to roommates and sisters: The outcome

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Owl47, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Owl47

Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey everyone!

Well, thanks again for all your help and advice, because everything(for the most part) ended up great!

I told the roommate I shared a room with I was gay on Monday night, and he didn't have an issue with it at all. He wasn't exactly huggy and enthusiastic, but he wasn't mad either and said that it changed nothing. Things have stayed the same between us.

On Tuesday morning, I left my coming out letters to my other roommates on each of their desks. They were asleep(I had class at 7:30am) so it was easy to leave the letters without waking anyone up. Then I left for class.

I had one class in the morning, but I spent most of the day on campus studying, thinking about things, and summoning up the courage to go back home. When I did get back home, things were pretty cool. I saw one of my roommates as he was leaving for class, and he, though seeming a bit nervous(he was pretty homophobic before), said he's okay with me being gay. Then I saw my other roommate who brought up something else he'd been talking to related about laptops. I then asked him if he'd read the letter, and he said he had and didn't care about it. Apparently, he's also really cool with gays and pointed out some hilarious hay couples on TV he though I should watch. Another one of my roommates said "It's no big deal man, it's fine," As I expected, and that was pretty much it. My last roommate, the most homophobic one, was pretty shocked by it. He asked me a lot of questions which continued throughout Wednesday, but I think he's become, for the most part, comfortable with it. Overall it went much, much better than I expected.

My sisters were all extremely supportive as I thought they would be. I actually decide to write them a letter on Tuesday afternoon while on campus as I had the courage I needed to tell them.

Anyways, it's been such a relief and pretty awesome experience. From thinking the worst would happen, the best situation has unfolded. It's like a veil has been lifted and I've finally been able to see the world in a new light. It's gonna take a bit of adjustment, as always, but with time I can see things becoming better than they have ever been.

Again, Thanks guys! I've been really happy the past couple of days! :grin:

2. Ander Blue

Copenhagen, Denmark (normally Troy, New York)
    Congratulations Owly!!!! I'm so happy for you. (*hug*) Great job and I'm so proud of you. Way to go with the sisters too!

If you don't mind me asking - how was the questionnaire with your one room mate? What sort of things did he want to ask? Did he ever say why he was homophobic before?

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on your coming out! I am so happy for you that it went so well. This is awesome! :slight_smile:

4. Adam

Great to hear! Good job

5. Sylver

Awesome! You put a lot of thought and effort into this, and now you've got a lot out of it. Enjoy these feelings!! :icon_bigg

6. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations. You have demonstrated that most of the hostility that has been directed at us in the past was because people did not know how many of their close friends and family were gay and hiding it. You are helping to give us a human face; and your efforts in this direction are what has been contributing to the change happening for all of us now and in the future. Its only going to continue getting better.

7. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's amazing! Congrats dude! I wish I had that kind of courage... It becomes really obvious when you tell people taht it's really no big deal to anyone but yourself. Still, it's hard though.