1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Destroying the Door

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by MrPetty, Feb 7, 2010.

1. MrPetty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know I have not been the most active on this site in the way of actually posting and I'm sorry for that. However, for the past few months I have been reading what is on here and you all have helped me not only find strength in my being gay but you have helped me find the courage to tell my parents. I told them a little over two hours ago. Now it most certainly did NOT go the way I wanted it to.... It became slightly violent but we all survived for now. I knew my parents would be watching TV at this time and I figured that such a time was just as good as any and went into the living room, sat down in the side chair and said, "I have something I need to tell you." Immediately the TV went off and I had their attention. I began to trembel and tears began to form. My mother kept telling me it was OK and I did it.... I finally said it. I managed to say "I'm gay." At that exact moment the fear, happiness and all other kinds of emotions set in.

However, this is where it all proceeded to go downhill. Silence overtook the room that in reality probably only lasted 30 seconds but seemed like a lifetime. My father, who I was the most freightened of telling, did not disappoint with a loud, "WHAT?!" He immediately went into disbelief and denial. He got up and began to walk around the room. I could see the rage filling within him. My mother said, "oh." She then got up, grabbed her keys and walked out the door. That was probably the last thing I needed because she left me with my father, a showdown I hoped would never take place. I feel the need to inform everyone that my father was always an old fashioned and very strict man. In the very few times my siblings and I ever dis-respected him, we were instantly corrected with a strike to the face. After witnessing my mother leave me, I began to leave the room only for my father to yell at me to come back in and I could tell he was going to rip me a new one.

My prediction quickly came true when he began to yell at me, call me names and grunt angrily. Although this time was different, I wasn't sorry for what I did, I knew there was nothing really wrong he was just being what he always is... a bully. That's when I did something I have rarely ever done in my entire life, I talked back, I argued and hell I stood my ground. I figured I tried reason, I was honest... all morals he taught me, now he was contradcting himself so he could feel better. He knew nothing of the weight I bore for all these years, nothing at all. I didn't even care if he hit me. After standing my ground he called me a filthy faggot and I responded with a "fuck you." At that moment I felt all the liberation in the world, I knew though that this would come with a price. Like I had assumed the man came to strike me which he did indeed do. He called me a cocksucker and told me to "know my place." I swear I thought it was going to get worse but I didn't really care.

This is when my mother re-entered the house, she sat in the car and never really left. Now my mother was always a reasonable woman, but like my siblings and I she too was always suppressed by my father. I had never seen her so..... enraged. I initially thought she was upset with me like my dad but she proceeded to drop her keys grab the flower vase and throw it against the wall, shattering it. Apparently she saw my father hit me from the driveway and came running. The fight then took a turn, with my mother finally confronting my father, something I have never witnessed before. For once he was the one being attacked, the one being belittled and I cherished every damn minute of it. My mother proceeded to yell about how when she made a vow when she had children to love each and every single one of them un-conditionally regardless of what happens and that 19 years in she had no intention to break that promise. During this I got up and backed off a little but didn't leave feeling my mother may need back up.

Their fight continued to go on and some point during the whole mess my older brother and younger sister emerged from their rooms and came into the living room. It was a sight to be seen, who ever said there was strength in numbers was most certainly right. My mother finished her rant and my dad went to say something back but she cut him off with the epic line, "Oh go blow it out your ass!!" She then told my siblings and I to get our coats and get in the car. She took us for ice cream and we all had a little heart to heart in the car, what a coming out should be. There were tears and hugs and a lot of "I love you's" When we got home she told us to just go into our rooms and not worry about "him." We did so and I layed on my bed and thought for a few minutes and am now writing this post. Tonight was by all means a nightmare but the best one I've ever had.(&&&)

#1 MrPetty, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  2. Zumbro

I can't even think of anything to say about this. It brings a tear to my eye not only that something like this happened with your father, but more that your mother and siblings were there for you and finally stood up. I really hope the best for you, and congratulations on having a mother and siblings who love you so much. (*hug*)

3. crazydude

I seriously just started crying reading this. It is really sad yet happy at the same time. I'm very happy for you that you were finally able to do it and you didn't care what anyone thought and you stood your ground. That takes so much courage and can take years to do. I don't really know what else to say except congratulations I can only imagine how liberating it must felt for you to get that out, and to stand up to your father. It made me so happy that your mom took you out for ice cream afterward :slight_smile: Again awesome job and thanks for sharing! I hope things with your father will get better.

4. RaeofLite

Oh my god.... I was shaking with tears in my eyes reading this. :frowning2:

(*hug*) x 1000

I hope you're feeling better... and I hope that's the worst of the storm for you. Things will take a while to cool down (most likely) but I'm glad that you're loved. And I think that even though your mom is shocked, she reacted swimmingly. Dad... er... no offense, but he needs some sort of release for his anger. :frowning2:

Nonetheless, thankyou for sharing your story and I wish you well in the rest of coming out. Life's quite nice when you can be honest with people close to you. :slight_smile:

Also, feel free to chat me up or befriend me. I'm always willing to chat. :grin:

5. padre411

I pray you will continue to get the support you need and deserve. I'm not sure what to think of your dad - whether or not he will come around. In any case, you sound resilient and able to transcend the abuse. You come through this landing on your feet.

6. Zach1992

Congrats on coming out!! I'm sorry to hear about your father. I just don't understand how anyone can that much anger in their heart.

7. revolutionrock

Wonderfully inspiring story, sir. Congratulations! I hope things calm down soon!

8. x2x2x2x2y2

That's an incredible story. I'm happy that you and your mom stood up for you. I'm seriously amazed at how awesome your mom is. As for your dad, well I hope he comes to realize how stupid he's been about this. None the less, congrats on coming out!!

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What an amazing story, and what an amazing woman your mother is! Knowing what you knew, it must have taken otherworldly courage to tell them both, and I really admire your strength and courage, both for telling your parents, and for standing up to your dad.

I wonder if that one incident might be a turning point in your parents marriage, whereby your father might, belatedly, learn to have a little more respect and consideration for your mother.

As for your father... I suspect that he will come around eventually. I'd guess that all of his ranting and raving has to do with control; he sounds like the sort of person that needs to be in control all of the time, and your coming out took that away... and his response ie exactly the response of a control freak who finds himself out of control.

While I'm sure it sucked to go through it, it must have felt great to feel vindicated and open to your mom and siblings, and to stand up to your dad. Congratulations!

10. iLambedil

iLambedil Guest

I have to admit that I started to sob at this. Not only did you stand up to your father but by this brave act you were able to push your mother to face her demons and finally stand up to him as well. Don't worry, your father will someday come around. I can't imagine being as strong as you were if my father were to call me those names when I came out to my parents. You are a very strong guy and this will get you far in life! Keep up the strength and you will definitely weather the storm!

11. EM68

Congrats on your coming out! My eyes are watering now. You and your mom are a pillar of strength. I'm sorry to hear about your dad. He has no excuse for what he did. I hope he turns around. Give him some time.

12. adam88

Wow. Here: (*hug*) You sound like you need it.

Both you and your mother are amazing for standing up to him like that.

13. Sylver

Whoa...

You have no idea how much of an impact your story has made on me. I am speechless, my eyes are watering, and I'm feeling like I need to share some of the pain and the joy of what you've just been through. (*hug*) I hope you can feel that!

You, sir, have given me a new definition for the word "courage". What you did took a ton of courage, and I don't know where you found it. You just stood up for yourself against the biggest bully in your life, and you won! Anytime you feel down or you're questioning yourself, just remind yourself of what you did this day. You have a deep well of strength inside of you which is going to serve you well through the rest of your life.

Your mother is a saint, and if I could buy her flowers right now (and a new vase), I would. For all the faults of your father, your mother's unconditional love makes up for them times 10. You now have a chance at a new relationship with your mother on a higher plane, the kind that will make you best friends for life. I also think you'll have an openness that will help you through any other tough times in your life, including further exchanges with your father. She just gave you the green light to build a lifelong bond with her that many children will never have, so take her up on it.

It may still be unclear where this leaves her with respect to your homosexuality, and I wouldn't let it rest. She has opened the door and proven that you have nothing to fear in talking to her, and I would continue the dialogue. If she's totally accepting of your sexuality, then invite her into your world and give her reassurance that she has a strong son who will make good choices and involve her along the way. If you sense that she stood up for you out of genuine love for you but might be conflicted about your sexuality, I would help her through her own understanding process. Tell her about this part of you. Tell her your hopes and dreams and let her know you will be happy as a gay man. Point her to resources like PFLAG in case she has any questions, and tell her you're willing to talk to her about her questions so she can come to an understanding, an "enlightenment" if you will.

As for your father, my baser instincts tell me that you should never talk to him again until and unless he apologizes to you, and I mean an apology that comes from the heart. This man clearly has problems and it is absolutely unfair for him to be taking them out on you (although unfortunately not uncommon).

But you also have an opportunity to be better than him and to lead by example (the irony of the son teaching the father is not lost on me). So you might want to be firm but fair by leaving the door just slightly open for him to come back into your life. The key is to be resolute in your position - "I'm gay, deal with it." If and when he does deal with it and come to accept it, you may just be able to reforge a relationship with him. You may also play a role in turning around the life of a bitter man who's probably not getting much out of life right now anyway.

If not, then too bad for him; it's his loss. I feel sorry that he's going to waste away the rest of his days as a bitter bigot with a small heart, but I also believe that people have to want to be helped to deserve it. If there's any ray of light in his sad story, it will be the irony that you, his son, turned out to be a better person than him. That, my friend, is the sweetest justice you can serve!

Your story has touched me deeply and I'm sure it will touch many others. I have to end by thanking you for sharing it so openly and honestly. This can't be easy for you, but just by telling your story you are making a difference to others. When the credits roll at the end of my coming out story, your name is going to be there in bold!! :thumbsup:

14. Zume

Amazing story.. I swear.. I had to hold back the tears. It's incredible that you have such a supportive mother and siblings. And congrats for standing up to your father the way you did..don't think I could have if that were me. I hope things work out well for you (*hug*) (*hug*)

15. MrPetty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you all for the support. Really, you all and this site helped so greatly, you have no idea. I promise to become more active as time goes on. :smilewave

16. Connor22

HOLY CRAP sorry but that was just EPIC I mean that was brilliant, you came out to your parents which is never easy so well done(!) and you are one brave SOB for standing up to your dad like that I hope every thing gets better in your house GOOD LUCK:thumbsup:

17. Eleanor Rigby

Aww honey (*hug*) (*hug*) I am so sorry things didn't went well with your father.
    I can't even imagine how much courage it must have taken to you to told your parents knowing that your father might react this way (*hug*)
    You can be very proud of yourself.
    I am glad that you mother stood up to your father and is supportive. She must be an amazing woman.
    I wish you all the best and I hope that your father will finaly come around with your sexuality.
    Take care of yourself :kiss:

18. Jim1454

You've already helped other people here by sharing your story. It really is inspiring.

I'm sorry that your dad reacted the way he did. It really isn't acceptable to hit someone at any time, for any reason. And to hit your own son for such a stupid reason is totally unacceptable and warrants an asault charge being laid. People get arrested for doing that kind of thing. Your father needs a wake up call to figure out that his behaviour isn't right.

I'm with JamesENL. I wouldn't have anything to do with someone who hit me and didn't apologize for it. They don't deserve to be a part of my life - and would therefore be excluded.

19. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with Jim1454 on this. I commend what you did and applaud your mother. Her initial reaction was overcome by her love for you, and she came to your defense. I am sure your siblings will stand by you too.

I am, however, still worried by your angry and irrational father. He is simply not very enlightened, but we have seen this thing before. He may continue to be self righteous and possibly "act out" again.

I want to be sure that you have a backup plan in case things do not improve. See a counselor at school, or make arrangements for a place to sleep for the night if anything further threatens you. Even have a talk with the authorities so they are not caught napping. You may or may not have an easy time with talking to them, they may have their prejudices too. But they should be held accountable for their professionalism and given, for starters, the benefit of the doubt.

But the police may be a last resort. He may already be getting over it.
    Do you have other family or friends that you could go to if necessary, and maybe in the middle of the night?

I agree with what everyone said about your courage. You were right to say and do what you did. Now lets make sure that things improve from this point forward. You are a gutsy guy and I admire you. :thumbsup:

20. MrPetty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Once more, thank you all for the words of encouragement. Nothing new to really report. My mother and siblings continue to be pilars of strength and support. I haven't spoken to my father since that night. However, I have heard he and my mother bickering and arguing. I know to some kids that would seem like a bad thing but it;s nice to see her standing up for herself finally.