1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Your stories have helped me, hopefully mine will help some of you

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by chonko3266, Feb 12, 2010.

1. chonko3266

I have never been particularly active on this board, but I do lurk and have found the Coming Out forum and resources here extremely helpful in my own decision to begin the coming out process. I have read through lots of threads here and your stories and letters have really helped me write my own coming out letters. I hope my story will have the same impact on people that were in my situation. This post will be long but I think it's worth the read.

Before last week, I was completely closeted, but I made the decision to come out to my Mom first because I knew she would be supportive. I didn't know how to get all of my thoughts down, so I wrote a letter and handed it to her.

Here's my letter:

So anyways, my Mom started reading the letter, and halfway through she grabbed my hand and was like "I know this has been hard for you."

After having read the whole thing, she smiled and said "I love you no matter what."

We chatted for a while after that, and she had some questions for me. I asked her if she had any idea that I was gay, and she told me that she knew there was turmoil in my heart and that she had felt my burden throughout the past six years, but that she didn't know that my sexuality was the source of it all.

I told her that I felt like I could finally go to bed truly relieved for the first time, she was like "me too." She said she's so relieved that I'm becoming comfortable and happy with myself.

Finally at about midnight, she got up to go to bed and gave me a hug. She asked to read the letter one more time and was like "That's a beautiful letter. Can I keep it?"

So it went really well with my Mom. I've been out to her one week today :slight_smile:)) and I feel like it's brought us closer. We've always had a great relationship but the two of us seem more comfortable around each other.

2. chonko3266

And just a few hours ago I decided to come out to my Dad.

I'm away at college, so my Mom and I agreed that it would be best if I wrote him an email to give him the time to mull it over before replying. Anyways, I sent him an email and he replied almost immediately after he got home from work.

Here's my email:

And his reply:

I feel so lucky that my parents were both understanding and supportive. My Dad's letter made me cry so much tonight :tears:

Now that I've told my parents, I plan on coming out to friends here at school. I suppose it should go over well.

You guys have been such a great help to me. I hope this might help some of you guys who were in my situation. I'd love to hear what you guys have to say after reading this.

#2 chonko3266, Feb 12, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  3. Chandra

Your dad's letter made me cry and I don't even know you.

Congrats.

4. Sylver

Awwww..... That is SO heartwarming to read!! You have an incredible relationship with your family, and I probably don't need to tell you this but they are AWESOME!

I am going to frame the tag line "I love you to the Milky Way and Beyond" and put it on my wall because it really captures the deep love you share in your family. I am going to use your story as motivation for the next steps in my coming out process. Seriously, this brings a tear to my eye...

Oh, and congratulations on coming out to your parents! Enjoy the free air! :icon_bigg

5. superpsychogirl

Out Status:
    Some people
    Aw! That was so sweet! I wish my coming out was like yours!

6. RaeofLite

Wow. You recieved very good responses. :grin: Congrats. (*hug*)

7. padre411

Okay, I admit it, I cried. I am so thankful for you that you were finally able to come out at a fairly young age and even more thankful for your parents who support and love you.

God be with you as you make this journey.

Peace,

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your mum and dad! :slight_smile:

And thank you for sharing your coming out stories and your letters. Your dad and mom's responses are something to be looked up to. I am soooo happy for you that it went so well.

9. Fargo

Fargo Guest

I'm glad to hear of such a wonderful coming out story =) Mine didn't take such effort, as my dad guessed it(Being 13/14, I didn't know about clearing history at that point haha), and my mom found a piece of paper I was writing on about how I was afraid of my mom and stepdad finding out. But it all worked out and they said they loved me all the same...However, my stepdad enjoys calling me "fag" and beating me up when we get into our arguments =/

But, congrats =) All the best to you! And props to your amazing parents!

10. paco

paco Guest

ditto.

extra props to your parents, they sound fantastic

11. Ralivar

All of it made me cry, your letter and your mum and dad's responses.

I hope that when I eventually give my parents the letters I have written for them that they take it so well. Congratulations as well.

12. Connor22

"I love you to the milky way and beyond" well done on coming out to your parents and that is such a brilliant line you are so lucky to have such brilliant parents congrats dude :slight_smile:

13. dromadus

dromadus Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations to you and to all of the people at Empty Closets who I think helped give you encouragement to take this step that has brought you so much happiness. You stand in a tradition of great courage in taking the steps you have. Being honest is not something everyone has been able to enjoy, and you did so with such articulation. Your parents sound like amazingly warm and generous people, and I can see why you believed you could trust them with your truth. I wish more people in this world were as blessed as you are.

And I will proclaim that each of you who is able to make this step makes it that much safer for the next. It is a long journey we have been on, not completed, but well underway.

Let your parents know when the time comes, how many people in this world admire them for who they are and the man they have helped you to become. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

14. adam88

Congrats. :slight_smile:

15. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! That's a great reaction your dad had! Truly great!
    Also, I'm loving the space-themed love going on in your family =P

16. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Those were really nice responses. You have great parents.

17. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations for coming out to your parents :slight_smile: I am very happy everything went well with both of them. Everyone should be so lucky.