1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ouch

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by padre411, Feb 13, 2010.

1. padre411

I came out to my wife 8 days ago. Here's that thread if you are curious:

http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31976

I knew there would be bumps in the road but today has made me sad.

This afternoon I went to use the bathroom while my wife was in the shower. Our shower has clear glass. I closed the privacy door to the toilet area which I don't usually bother with. Let us just say on this occasion I was merely being considerate. After a few minutes, my wife poked her head in and said "I guess it must be really hard to look at me right now." Ouch. At some level she was trying to be funny but on another level she was sharing her pain.

I had to run an errand but couldn't let go of what happened. When I got home I told her that I've never found her unattractive. We talked a little bit and she confessed how strange things are at the moment.

Now for this evening. I had an event to attend at the parish and my wife has been sick so she stayed home. When I got home she approached me in the bedroom. She was a bit rattled and said someone male had called the home number and asked for me by name. She said he refused to leave a message or give his name. She asked me if I've been giving the home number out or posting it online (I've told her about the support I'm seeking out on EC). All I can say to this is ouch again.

It is breaking my heart to see what this is doing to my wife. Yes, in the long run we'll be better off. Yes, I know there will be ups and downs it this process. Yes, I know there is no going back.

I suppose it is reasonable that she is questioning her trust of me. I'm just sad that I've put her in this position. She's still trying to figure out who she wants to talk to. I hope we can figure out who that could be sooner rather than later.

Thanks for listening.

Peace,:icon_sad:

#1 padre411, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  2. jsandoval1192

Wow, all I can say is just stay strong!
    From the looks of it, you two will get through this together in the end.
    She will find someone to talk to, it's just going to be hard to find that someone.
    But either way, best of wishes :]

3. Sylver

This reminds me of what it's like for the first number of days after a major surgery. You know the surgery was necessary and it will help in the long run, but the immediate days after are filled only with pain and with doubt. There is little healing taking place during this period, so it can be very hard to see what coming through this might look like. You and your wife just went through major surgery and right now it's hard to envision a happy place down the road. All you can do is stick with it and trust that the final outcome will be worth the anguish you're both suffering right now.

Somehow your wife needs to find her own network of support to see her through this. There's lots of advice around these forums about developing our own support networks before or as we come out, but this is precisely what your wife needs. Are there any LGBT resources in your community that might be able to help? We have something called the Rainbow Resource Center here in our city, and they offer one-on-one counseling not only for gays and lesbians but also for their families who are in crisis. She might also benefit from an LGBT-friendly therapist. I think she needs to be interacting with a real person who has a vested interest in helping her through this, and while your moral support is imperative, I don't see how it can only be you.

I don't feel qualified at all to offer you advice, but I really do feel for her, and compassion alone tells me she needs as much help through this process as you do - if not more, because she didn't ask for this to happen.

In the meantime I'll offer you all the hugs you can possibly handle (*hug*)!

4. padre411

I've got friends helping with this. We've found a Deacon in another parish whose ex-husband figured out he was gay. My wife has some anxiety that beginning the conversation with her might make it back to my parish before we are ready to deal with it. I don't think this is very likely so I will continue to encourage her.

We do have our own version of the Rainbow Resource Center and I have some good connections there. My wife is aware of this but still conflicted about who to talk to.

Thanks & Peace

#4 padre411, Feb 13, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think part of what your wife is experiencing is, in her own way, the 2nd stage of grief (anger). It's natural that she would feel resentful/angry, even as much as she doesn't want to and does understsand where you're at. It's good that you are both continuing to talk, though she can't help but feel sort of odd and uncomfortable. I'm sure it will all work out in time. :slight_smile:

6. JakeBHT

Your wife sound likes she needs sometime to talk to people and to you about all of this, but that she needs to figue out what she thinks and needs to do first. Well thats my take on it anyway. Good luck to you both I hope things work out.

7. Uruz

I'm going through something pretty similar with my male ex-lover... we love each other very much, we had been friends for a long time before we ever hooked up and moved in together. After I told him I didn't want to be with men anymore, there were a few days of harsh jokes too... we would still cuddle and kiss a little bit, because I felt like I was hurting him and I wanted to make him happy, and also it was nice to be comforted by a dear friend... he would walk around the house without his shirt on accident and then make a comment like, "oh sorry, you must be disgusted by my body." or, "I wish I had breasts." It was so difficult to make him understand that his body has always been beautiful to me, and that doesn't change. I don't quite understand it myself. Since I moved out at the beginning of this month things have gotten better, but he still is having trouble accepting me and letting me go. No real advice here I guess, just saying I know what you're going through.

8. padre411

Thanks. Things are in a better place today. I expect there will be more rough patches ahead. I hope we will continue to be able to talk our way through it.

I am grieving for what I'm putting my wife through. It the same time, since I've come out to her and the other people I trust, I no longer feel like a liar and am experiencing moments of peace and calm that have eluded me for a long time.

Peace

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As Chip mentioned, your wife is going through the various stages of grieving. Things will be a bit 'unsettled' for the next little while because now everything you do and did is put into a different context. Let your wife know all along the way that you are grieving too.

I think talking with her and having the lines of communication open will really help in coming out of this a lot sooner and with a much better understanding between the two of you.

Things will work out. Just give it time and always be there fore her when she wants to talk or wants to say something. (*hug*)

10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure you will. It wouldn't be unexpected for her to have periods where she doesn't want to talk, or her anger comes out in unusual ways (she sounds like someone who doesn't express anger easily) so just hang in there.

READ KORT'S BOOK!!! :slight_smile: You aren't putting your wife through anything! As she already said to you, she had her own suspicions, and Kort talks about this a lot in the context of guilt or shame that heterosexually married gay men experience during the process of coming out and realigning ther lives. This is a process that *both* of you must take responsibility for, because you both allowed it to occur, and she, by ignoring the suspicions she had, was tacitly complicit with you in perpetuating the problem. Of course any reasonable person is going to understand and hold their own responsibilty for their contribution to the problem, but i think the essence of what Kort says is that it isn't just your fault, and you shouldn't think of it as putting your wife through something, because it really is a problem that was jointly created. I think that as you understand that (and as she comes to grips with it herself), you'll both come to a much greater place of peace and understanding.

11. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    as my friend sez, READ KORT'S BOOK. I took his advice, and praise the Lord, the book is so chock full of insights it brot me to tears time and time again. It was ASTOUNDING how a guy, KORT, I never met could have peered into the depths of my soul so piercingly. It is an awesomely wise tome for any one. If Kort took the GAY MAN out of the book he'd sell millions of copies as the truths he describes and exposes are universal. I'm about to read it a second time. After reading it the first time I did further study concerning the archetypes that make up our Maleness. Then my next step in recovering from years upon years of repression and denial will be to follow Kort's footsteps to the Mankind Project. Once I accomplish that I hope to have my feet under me sufficiently to figure out what to do with my marriage of 25 years this June. Good luck! matt

12. RaeofLite

Unfortunately, Coming Out is like plunging into a dark tunnel (in most cases). It's unknown. You've grown up thinking you're straight, then realizing you're not, and now you have to face the music (the darkness) which is entirely unknown to you. You're not sure how people will react, so they can seem like monsters in the darkness and you may feel paranoid at some points (ie: Do they know? They totally know... I'm going to lose my friend/family member. etc). But as soona s you have support, lights start cropping up and being lit and the tunnel's darkness gets lighter and lighter... until practically everyone in your life knows and then you surge out of the tunnel fast and free with support backing you. :slight_smile:

Sorry my analogy is weird...

But I can understand what you mean. When I came out to my male exes, I had a couple of them ask me if they did something wrong or if they were horribly unnattractive etc. And they weren't. I just... didn't feel for them as I do for women.

13. Peter

Just remember how long it took you to accept the fact... give her some time. I recognize the feelings well, and I know the hurt of feeling that you are hurting her. I have been through very similar stories. There is a group in the US called "straight spouse connection" (in the UK it is "straight partners anonymous") who offers support and advice that your wife might find helpful. I know that we read a lot of books on the subject when I came out and my wife attended the SPA meetings for some time.

14. Jim1454

As far as I can tell, you're doing everything right. So give yourself some credit for that.

This is going to be a difficult time for both of you. You do need to go out of your way to reasure your wife that you love her and care for her and that you'll support her in any way you can.

I have to disagree with Chip a little here... I would reasur her that this ISN'T her fault.

While Kort might suggest that both partners are to blame for a gay man ending up married to a straight spouse, the straight spouse would have to also acknowledge that themself. So while I totally agree that we (the gay men who married straight women) aren't totally to blame for the situation, I see little benefit in trying to convince our straight spouses that they are partly to blame as well. (I do believe that they are partly to blame - but likely in ways that are too subtle for them to perceive or were totally subconscious.)

Instead, I turn to society at large. It was society that conditioned us (the gay men) that we really weren't gay, or shouldn't be gay, and applied the pressure for us to 'conform'. And it was society that conditioned everyone (including our straight wives) that everyone was (or should be) straight, and therefore there really wasn't any 'screening' of spouses required - all men were straight and eligible partners. By thinking in these terms, I off loaded some of the guilt that I was carrying around onto 'society'.

And certainly through my recovery work, I've learned that I can't change the past even if I wanted to. All I can do is accept my situation for what it is, and make the best of it. And that also helped me overcome the guilt. Even if I considered my actions as having 'robbed' my wife of years of her life, there wasn't anything at all I could do about it. All I could do was make the most of it by being the best parter / ex and the best father to our children that I could be. And for me, that meant staying sober and really feeling good about myself as a gay man.

And while it hasn't been easy, and I've not been perfect, I think I've done a pretty good job.

Good luck. We're here for you.

15. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually we agree on that point. What I was trying to say, and didn't clearly communicate, was... don't place (in your own mind) all the blame on yourself, because as we know, she did have reason to suspect something was amiss and yet chose not to address it. But you certainly have responsiblity also. However, accepting responsibility while speaking with her, while at the same time, in your own mind, acknowledging to yourself that it's not solely your fault will help you understand the subtletly of the situation and have less guilt toward the situation.