1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Offically Out on Campus - Now GSA Student Coordinator.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Emberstone, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Emberstone

I guess this would go here, as it is more of a person nature than big news for the LGBT community as a whole, but today I became the student coordinator for the GSA for my college campus. The prior one was overwhelmed by all of their responciblity that she asked me (we a friend from the GSA, as I was out with a stomach flu) friday if I would be willing to take over. I went and talked to one of the Faculty Advisors, and so now I am offically the student coordinator for the club, which has been fairly active this year, so now I basically get to help guide the club forward, and help coordinate what the club does at its meetings, and am the go-to-guy for GSA questions. It also means that for the health of the club, I have decided (even though it is not a requirement for the job) that I, on campus, am out.

One of our goals has already been to help reach out to members of the LGBT community on campus, and also those who are questioning their sexuality. We have talked in the past about doing outreach to the campus to open dialogue on diversity (both in and beyond the LGBT community), so hopefully, I can help get the GSA together and get some ideas going on how to approch that.

I am so tempted to go onto facebook and post about my position. There are only a few people who don't know about me being gay that would take issue with it, but right now, I just feel like just throwing caution to the wind.

2. padre411

I keep joking about making a few status changes on Facebook and getting it all over with. It's like pulling off a band-aid. If it's going to be painful, it can at least be quick.

Congratulations on your new position on campus.

3. Emberstone

bad analogy for me. I pull them off slowly. much prefer dull pain for longer periods then feeling like someone had put a blow torch to my skin for two seconds.

Once I tell my grandmother, I could care less about the people on facebook. it is those who know my grandmother and talk with her alot that worry me. I want her to know from me, not from someone else. I am so tempted to go see her tonight, and just tell her, and finally feel fully free in who I am.

4. padre411

I hope it goes well for you, whatever you decide.

5. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations for your new position on campus :slight_smile: and I hope everything is going to go fine with your grand-mother.

6. Emberstone

she took it generally well. she did look staggered, and say 'oh no' when I told her, but we talked for about thirty minutes... lots of hugging. She told my mom a few hours later that she hopes I find a good partner one day.

7. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations :slight_smile: I'm happy she took it well

8. Emberstone

my brother is hoping my grandmother knowing a gay person, will huminize the issue, because after telling me she loved me regardless, the next thing out of her mouth as "just please dont go out there and get aids." That really miffed my brother, and we know she just wanted me to be safe, but he says if she continues, he will sit down and educate her on a few of the stereotypes facing gay people that are patently untrue/overblown.

9. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on becoming more involved with GSA, being out on campus and on coming out to your grandmother. Glad it went well for you. :slight_smile:

10. Sylver

Geez, I need to offer you a backlog of congratulations! When things happen for you, they happen fast! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I'm particularly excited about you becoming the student coordinator for your GSA. Keep us posted on how you find this role as time goes on. It sounds like a position where you can make a difference in the greater LGBT community and also help people directly - I'd be curious to know if this will make you feel even stronger and more empowered in the long run. I've often wondered if I could become active in contributing to a local LGBT cause and it would help to hear what it's doing for you. It's one thing to talk about it, but I really admire those who can get up off their asses and do something about it!

11. Emberstone

I think the reason this all lumped itself together was because I wanted, one, to be a proper representation to any student on campus who is struggling with telling their family, and two, it just needed to be done.

my grandmother has not brought it up to me, and we are going to lunch tommarow, but she has been the same when we have been around each other. I have not sensed any discomfort from her, but I also know she doesnt want to discuss it, at least for now, which I respect.

I just remebered, I need to change my out status, as it is old.

I now consider myself out of the closet. When I am in a relationship, my facebook info will change, but for now, it remains unspecified, because I have family on facebook that talk to my grandmother, who are far stauncher of chirstians than she is. I want to give her time to digest and become more open and comfortable with it before people are asking her about it.