1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardest Coming Out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by 12tonowhere, Feb 19, 2010.

1. 12tonowhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well prob not techincally the hardest as I am dreading coming out to my parents but I reckon they will be fine with it.

No, this coming out was to my uber macho flatmate. I had it in my head, and prob with good reason, that he would not be okay with it. He didnt speak to highly of the gay guy he shared a flat with before. so anyway....

So we had been discussing living situation for next year and i didnt want to move in with them if they werent cool with it, so I had already told one of the boys ( lets call him X and he was grand, turns out he had then told another prospective flatmate(Z) who seemingly didnt have a problem with it, but I still was kinda pissed...

That just left the other one Y, so Im tryin to think of how I could do it and I was choking on my words just thinking about it. I tried to get my other flamate to sort of prob him and try and see what he would think if i was. apparently thought he wasn't "fighting my battles" for me. So, in true cop out fashion I texted him, asking if he had heard anything about me lately. ( was just in X's room about to watch a film) anyway Y comes through with his phone asking me what the text was all about,

"just a question"

I replied and he never said anymore. So Im mid texting him to say im gay and I hope its not a prob for next year, when he sits on the bed next to me( the movie is on by now) shielding the phone I fire of the text. Time passes by and his phone goes of and he checks it, silence for a good 10 mins and then...

"did that really need a text" asks Y

"yes" I reply

more silence....then he says he fine with it, had heard something "through the grapevine"( rom Z, big mouth that he is) and he says He hopes I hadnt been stewing over it for a while. WTF? I was like well you arent the easiest person to tell, and he was like fair enough.

Long story short, he is fine with it. Which I guess can only be good thing, I hope they are still as fine with it should I ever bring some back to the flat :dry:

Time will tell...

Sorry for the shoddiness of this post but I hate reading over stuff that I have written.

2. x2x2x2x2y2

Congrats!! Im glad it went well!! I too told my friend through text, although he was in the same room. lol

3. Johnnieguy

Well, I came out to some people via text message, and it went well. I came out to some people via facebook. That went well too. My roommates didn't care even though I thought they would (since all 6 of us were born and raised Catholic).

All went well. Even though they all knew before hand (they figured it out little by little, and other friends of mine confirmed it for them). I came out to them after we lived together. It would have been so much easier had I just come out to them when they were living together. They all told me that they didn't want to pester me, because my sexuality is none of their business. Basically, they didn't care.

4. Holmes

I told a friend of mine known among our general circle as being a little conservative. He responded as anyone else would have, almost better really, in how he put it. He really didn't care at all. I'd be wondering for a long time about him, knew he'd be ultimately ok, but thought telling him would be awkward.

It is really a relief to find that when even those we worry knowing about don't care at all.

5. Halpert

Well first offs. Good job on another coming out.

To do with the people telling people, feel for ya. I know how frustrating it is when people do so, especially to people that matter or you care about. When I first came out, I came out with the expectation of it slowly getting around. As unfortunate that notion is, I find its something best to expect. I'm not saying panic over it, just be prepared for more of it.
    For me, I found as time went on, and I told the people I cared about, I no longer had a problem with people talking about it. Possibly a part of the process?

But anyway, I'll stop rambling on. Good luck in the future! :icon_bigg

6. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    man that takes balls to text someone in the same room as you. That sounds like it went over superbly though!congrats!

And i'm not being sarcastic, to text someone in the same room about that would make me nervous lol

7. i need help

congratulations...its not easy...i think almost every one has came out to someone in a text or some kind of media form...i came out to a friend the other day via text, she was driving i was in the front passenger seat, we were the only two people in the car...it just easier, you say what you want and once its sent there is no nervous rambling to get out what you want...but it will work out all good....

"it will all be ok in the end, if its not ok, its not the end"

8. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations :slight_smile: That must have been a difficult coming out, but I'm glad he is fine with it.

9. polesmoker

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    I'm glad things went well for you :slight_smile: