1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"coming out" to father

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Eleanor Rigby, Feb 22, 2010.

1. Eleanor Rigby

So, this is not truly a coming out, and I am not saying it's in anyway way comparable on what you guys had or have to get through for coming out to your parents,but I thought that was the place it would fit the best.

First you have to know that my father is pretty homophobic. Not the kind of homophobe that would go on gay bashing or say that gay people are going to hell, but he is more of the kind that will do stupid comments when he sees an obviously gay person, and he is not in favor of gay rights.

So, this evening, I was checking on EC and my brother who was with me in the room asked me if I was checking on facebook. So I answered "No, I'm on a forum". Then he asked me "What kind of forum ?" and I answered that I was on an LGBT forum.
    As he didn't know what LGBT stands for, I explained him, and by the way explained him how I found EC and that I am currently staff member on the site. My brother told me I am a surprising girl, and that was the moment my father entered the room.
    So he asked my brother why he tinks I am surprising, and I answered "Well, that's because I was just explaining him how I became staff member on a support forum for gay people" (I didn't used LGBT, I wanted him to get the thing straight away...so to speak :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:). He looked a bit taken aback, and then he mumbled something like "Well...hum...that's interesting." I smiled and he went for bed.

I was pretty proud of myself. I mean, it's not as if he suddenly discovered that I support gay rights, we already had big arguments on that matter on a political level. But as he (and my mother) often do loud homophobic comments when I'm around because they know it irks me, I am quite pleased with the idea that he now knows I am more involved than he thought in this community.

2. Phoenix

Phoenix Guest

Yay Cécile. We do appreciate you being here for us and it's good that you let other people know that you're involved with the LGBT community and that you do the great job that you do.

3. padre411

It would be really hard to hear that kind of running commentary from parents. I'm really glad you had this opportunity to enlighten your father, even if it is just a bit.

Peace,

4. Bryan44

Yay! Congrats on telling your father that you are apart of EC and about your support of LGBT. That is awesome.

5. KittyBoy

Congrats Ceci, you might be changing the way your father views people! He might act kinder to people. Furthermore, we owe you a lot of thanks for everything you have done for us ^^:kiss:

6. Chandra

I don't know you that well, but I just want to say that I really appreciate your integrity in standing up for what you believe in.

I really believe that it's people with attitudes like yours who will make the difference in pushing LGBT rights forward; yes, of course it's important for members of the LGBT community to stand up for ourselves as well, but the fact is we are a tiny minority, and without the support of open-minded straight people it's difficult for us to get very far.

There's been a lot of talk lately about the difference between "tolerance" and "acceptance", and I would take that even a step further. I think there are people who truly believe they're accepting of the LGBT community, but they won't speak up about it for fear that other people might - oh no - think they're gay! And you know what? If someone is afraid that people might think they're gay, that means they still think there's something wrong with being gay. Fundamentally, there is still an attitude that needs to change. People like you - and my straight roommate, who listens to Ani DiFranco and Tegan & Sara and watches the L Word and talks about gay rights, and doesn't care what ideas people might get about that - have the kind of attitude that really needs to take hold in order for there to be true acceptance in our society.

Wow, that was long. tl;dr - Thanks for your support. :slight_smile:

7. RaeofLite

Wow. Way to stick up for yourself and your civil rights beliefs. :grin: We need more allies like you.

8. x2x2x2x2y2

That's awesome!! I really wish there was more people like you in this world.

9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations

10. Eleanor Rigby

Thanks guys :slight_smile: but I really don't think I did anything that impresive. I mean, it's not as if I had taken any risks anyway.
    But I agree with Chandra, straight people should stand up more for gay rights, and the more we'll bring it up in a casual way, the more people may finaly realize LGBT people are just as normal as anyone else.

11. Sylver

Actually you did take a risk. I think it's almost as hard to proudly support LGBT people as it is to be one. The stigmas you face are the same. I agree with the others, it is a great source of comfort to have straight "allies" who understand and are supportive. It makes a big difference to me personally. Maybe look at it this way - if more of the straight people in the world were as openly supportive as you, it would make it almost impossible for the "haters" to have any voice at all.

So I'll add my congrats and thanks as well - you're one of the heroes and another reason I love EC so much! :thumbsup:

12. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Another congrats from me! Not to detract from gay people supporting gay rights, but in a way, coming out as being in favour of gay rights is even more impressive if you're straight. It would be so much easier to not bother and avoid getting into conflicts like these.

And hopefully it does make it harder for your dad to be so openly homophobic. He can hardly claim you don't know what you're talking about when you argue in favour for gay rights now!

And yeah, it might not have been exactly like coming out as being gay yourself, but it was a coming out nonetheless. so it definitely fits here!

:eusa_clap and (*hug*)!

13. Eleanor Rigby

That's probably the main point in fact. I mean, I have been standing for gay rights since I am 15, so it's nothing new really. I already had arguments with homophobic class mates or family members when I was in my last year of middle school. But the fact I have been here for a year enabled me to be more aware of what LGBT people issues really are, and about the different kinds of situations thay have to face in different places of the world.
    I feel more educated on that matter, so more confident, and I hope I'll be able to raise even better arguments for gay rights based on what I have experienced with talking with you everyday.

14. bouncingsouls

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Can we make you an honoury queer? Because your actual amazing!

15. Peter

You have been made an honorary queer years ago. You are fantastic!

16. Alex19

i. love. you.

17. Eleanor Rigby

I'd be definitly honored to be made honorary queer :lol:
    (&&&)

18. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is great that you mentioned it to him. Congrats! :slight_smile:

Mentioning it to him can only be a good thing. He might start changing his views on LGBT people.

19. Zume

You go girl! :thumbsup: :lol:

20. Jim1454

It's wonderful that you're proud of being a staff member here, and willing to share that with your dad. I certainly appreciate you being here, and without a doubt the site is better for your involvement! Thanks.