1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National Coming Out Day

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by beckyg, Aug 26, 2007.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    October 11th is National Coming Out Day in the U.S. For those of you not in the U.S., it could still be a good day to get support from people here and make a committment to come out to at least one person on October 11th. How about it?

The theme for National Coming Out Day 2007 will be Talk About It, continuing the slogan and branding that the national program has been building since 2005.

National Coming Out Day is a time to celebrate openness and honesty – whether you came out 20 minutes ago, or 20 years ago – this is a time for all Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Straight supportive people to Talk About It with friends, family and coworkers.

Coming Out Day Kits include:

Resource Guides to Coming Out
    Straight Guides to GLBT Americans
    Transgender Coming Out Guides
    Poster, Balloons and HRC Stickers
    And everything else you'll need to celebrate living openly!

To order your kit, please visit:
    www.hrc.org/comingoutkits

This year will also mark an important hallmark as National Coming Out Day, falls on the 20th anniversary of the 1987 Gay and Lesbian March on Washington, and the unfurling of the AIDS Quilt on the National Mall. The very first National Coming Out Day was celebrated a year to the day later as a way of continuing the spirit of openness, honesty and visibility that the March and the AIDS Quilt presentation inspired.

Keep watch in Mid-September for an announcement from HRC inviting everyone to participate in a unique and exciting National Coming Out Day Celebration!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. ppreston9

ppreston9 Guest

sounds lovely becky

3. xequar

I'm already out, but I'll be happy to support anyone who wants to come out!

4. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Yes, let's see if we can make it an EC coming out day too. We had several people come out on the same day a couple of months ago. It would be great to do that again, and National Coming Out Day would be the ideal day to do it.

5. Sam

Sam

I think I'm going to stop chickening out and change my myspace.

I am basically out to everybody except my dad's side of the family and I have to tell everybody who is struggling on when and if you should come out I say go for it because a lot of the worrying you will find out was unneccessary. I really am a much better person since I came out to most of my family and friends. don't be afraid, make national coming out day a goal for you, make it the day you will tell somebody who you have been afraid to tell such as your parent(s) or a friend.

6. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I came out on myspace too!

7. Blueeyes

Blueeyes Guest

ive told almost all my closest friends so far, maybe on that day i will have a mass coming out and start a facebook group called "GUESS WHO IS GAY" (doubtful, but its a thought)

8. SpikySpice

ooo, yes, let's all come out of our closets and say hello to the new world!

about myspace, some of my friends deleted me from their lists when i came out:angry:

it was heart breaking

but yeah, let's come out together yall:icon_bigg

9. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    They weren't really your friends Spiky. Your true friends love you the way you are.

10. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

If people don't like the real you, then it's them that have problems, not you. True friends will stick with you no matter what.

On MySpace, some of them may have just removed you because they don't want their friends to see that they have a gay friend. Still shallow though.

11. SpikySpice

yes, i mean it really bothered me at first, but now i'm getting used to it, since i haqve learned something here is to be proud of yourself, at 1st I thought it was cuz of me

12. GuitarGirl1350

I used this day last year ^^

13. Sam

Sam

I know that if someone erases me from their friend list on myspace because of my orientation then they weren't friends in the first place but it still makes me not want to do it plus I wish we could create our own personal labels on myspace because I don't clearly fit into anything I don't fit into a nice little label.

14. Time

I feel the same way! I would rather put something cleverly hinting to gay, but not the actual word! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Grof142007

-.- i love how i made a thread about this 2 days ago and no looked at it but when she does it everyone go banada *sigh* guess i put it in the wrong spot oh well

16. xxAngelOnFirexx

I'm out to everybody excpet most at my school. i don't care if they know but i might tell some of the other girls in my friend circle just to 'come out' and celebrate the holiday. =)

17. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think I am out to everyone except some people at work - which I try to be careful only because I would like to stay employed. Perhaps I shall try to talk openly about it with some friends who have kind of been avoiding the subject with me.

18. Vampyrecat

*gulps*
    I have a letter ready....I'm just not sure I want to give it to my parents....
    I'm one of 6 kids...second youngest, one of four girls...everyone else is straight...I feel like such a freak in my family..
    I dunno...maybe...maybe not..

19. Today4U

Trust me, we're all "freaks" together in one big happy family!(*hug*)

20. Sam

Sam

you can do it vampyrecat! I came out to my parents by letter.

So I am going to change my orientation on myspace from no answer on October 11th!