1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to my mom today!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by guacj, Mar 1, 2010.

1. guacj

It's been a while since I have posted on here, but I figured it was about time to post an update. After telling most of my friends that I am gay I just kind of stalled and just kept putting off telling my family.

Last week on my way back to school from a weekend at home I called my sister and told her that I am gay. At first she didnt believe me, but I assured her that I wasnt joking she gave me her support and asked me when I was planning on telling our mom. Since then she has been kind of giving me the push that I needed to tell my mom.

So I called my mom today and was on the phone with her for about 2 hours and we got on the subject about how I was breaking up with my girlfriend, who I broke up with about three and a half months ago because we are both gay. So I hinted around and finally told her that I liked guys. She didnt believe me either, which is a total shock becuase all of my friends we like we have always known. After I got off the phone with my mom and texted her and said that I was serious about what I said about being gay. She responded later and said. "well your still my son and I love you very much." I was so nervous about talking to her again I waited till she called me about seven hours later. She sounded like she was about to cry and she immediately brought it up. She told me that she hurt because I felt like I couldnt tell anyone and had to hold onto it for so long. She also told me that she is fine with it as long as I am happy, and that she fears the challenges that I will face because of it. By this time she is in tears, and I respond by saying that she should feel bad about me not telling her sooner, because it took me so long to just be able to tell myself.

I really couldnt ask for a better mom and am so glad that she is as supportive as she is. I just wish that I could have been able to come to terms with my sexuality sooner in like, because I think that it would have made the process a whole lot easier.

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your mum and to your sister! I am happy for you that your mum and sister are so supportive. Awesome!

Everybody goes according to their own pace. You still have the rest of your life to share things with your mum and to be yourself around her. Cherish the moments that you will have with your sister and your mum knowing that they will always be there to support you. Well done!

3. RaeofLite

Wow. What a great, supportive mom and sister you have. :grin: Lucky you. I'm sure the revelation will have brought you even more closer together which is great. :slight_smile:

4. Johnnieguy

Congratulations!! That is fabulous! And, I might add, eerie because I could have just as easily written that story too. Literally, word for word. Except after the initial phone call saying I was breaking up with my girlfriend in order to date guys, we emailed each other rather than text.

Congratulations!!!!

5. guacj

Thanks for all of the support. It's weird because alot of my firends have very similar stories about their coming out.

6. uptownboy

marvelous !
    you are so lucky to have a supportive family like that
    and congratulations on your coming out...feel much better right ! :grin:

7. EM68

Congrats on coming out to your mom! Sounds like my mom's reaction.

8. Jim1454

Great story. Thanks for sharing it!

Don't beat yourself up about taking so long. You beat me by over a decade - so don't sweat it!

9. Halpert

Congratulations! Your Mom sounds quite wonderful, I'm really happy for you! :grin:
    Good luck in the future!

10. Sylver

Awww... what a wonderful story!! :icon_bigg You are so lucky to have a family that loves you so much for who you are. This must be such a relief now!

11. Alex19

kudos!! ur mom is awesome!

12. kv88

Congratulations! Doesn't it feel great to open up to your mom?

13. steve1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    you are sooooo lucky your mom is so loving and understanding, not the case with my Mom. she is still a basket case since i came out to her. don't have regrets about when you came out, we all do it only when we are ready. cherish what you have.

14. guacj

I just wanted to thank everyone for their support and kind replies....I wish you all the best!