1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Coming Out Experience with my Sister (AKA Why you shouldn't IM that you're gay)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by MisterThomas, Aug 26, 2007.

1. MisterThomas

Out Status:
    A few people
    It was a dark and stormy night...
    Actually from what I remember it really wasn't that stormy although it was pretty dark. All I'm saying is it wasn't really wet, cloudy, or stormy in any way... It was just dark... Like night usually is unless you live next to a football stadium. I probably could have just said it was night since I lied about it being stormy and darkness is usually implied when you say 'night'.

Let me start over...

It was night.
    I can't really remember what I was doing that night. I'm pretty sure I was working one of many comics I like to make or updating something on my website but my sister was on MSN messenger so we ended up IMing for while. All was going well but something in the back of my head was telling me to tell her something I hadn't told anyone before... Telling me to tell my sister I was gay... In other words telling me to be a complete idiot because IMing life changing news is probably not the best way to deliver life changing news.
    I ignored all common sense and told her.

After I sent her a message saying that I was gay and confirmed that I wasn't joking I was hit with a barrage of questions. Most importantly she wanted to call me but I told her not to for two reasons. Reason one: It would wake up sleeping members of my family. Reason two: I just hate phones.

Within the next few days we met for lunch and she seemed rather indifferent for a while. Eventually she asked me if I was suicidal... My response was no and she seemed relieved (and oddly disappointed). Apparently from the way I worded my message she assumed I was close to taking my own life or something dramatic like that. I assured her that I was not going to take my life or go on a killing spree. She responded with, "I'm glad that I have a normal, non-suicidal, non-flaming, queer brother."

The funny thing was she told me that she was bi-sexual herself. I responded with, "DUH!" I don't think she ever realized how obvious she was... I also found out that when she told her husband that I was gay he also responded with, "DUH!"

This has lead me to two conclusions!
    1. Never come out to a family member over an IM or they might think you are suicidal.
    2. DUH! Is the best way to respond when you find out someone is gay.

2. Jim1454

Re: My Coming Out Experience with my Sister (AKA Why you shouldn't IM that you're gay

LOL! Great story. I'll keep it in mind if and when family remembers respond with 'DUH'! It's totally normal!

btw - Welcome to EC!

3. MissyJ158

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Re: My Coming Out Experience with my Sister (AKA Why you shouldn't IM that you're gay

Lol, nice coming out story, it gave me a laugh XD
    And welcome to EC!

4. Tom

Tom Guest

well next time sum1 comes out 2 me im gona have 2 say "DUH!" to em, it seems the right thing 2 do now and welcome 2 ec!

5. Sam

Sam

coming out through IM something I haven't done. congrats on coming out.

6. Psych!

Psych! Guest

But if someone says DUH!, that means u r either flambuoyant sp? or just totally indiscreet

BTW, Welcome 2 EC

7. Time

LOL Fun story, and congratulations :slight_smile: