1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Letter to mom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by flymetothemoon, Mar 8, 2010.

1. flymetothemoon

Hi guys, I am planning on coming out to my mom and letting her know about my girlfriend...but I am planning to do it in a letter. I was wondering if I could get some input on the letter and things I might want to change/add/take out/etc... here is the text of what I have so far...also I'm trying to come up with a way to end it if anyone has any suggestions...thanks for all your help...

Dear Mom,
    It is not easy at all to write this to you, but I know that you have been trying to figure things out since Zac and I broke up. I am relatively sure that somewhere inside of you, you know there is something more to the story that I'm not telling you, and I can't hide that part of the story from you anymore. It's not fair to you or to me. I want you to understand that I am writing you this letter because I love you, and because I feel that I need to tell you this now before you find out on your own later.
    Zac and I broke up because I wasn't in love with him anymore. I couldn't trust him anymore. We didn't have what we used to have, and we haven't in a while. I wanted us to still have that because I knew you and dad and everyone else really liked him, and so I tried to believe it was still there, but it wasn't. And I realized that for sure when I realized I was falling head over heels for someone else. That someone else happens to be a girl. I don't know exactly what this means for me as far as sexuality goes, so I really can't tell you. I don't really think I fit into a neat little category to be able to label it for you to help you understand. What I can tell you, though, is that I like her a lot, and I am dating her, and I would love to be able to introduce her to my family without having to lie about who she is. I would love to be able to tell you I'm visiting her, or that she is visiting me, without having to make up some story about what is going on. I don't want to have to call her my best friend when she meets you for the first time. I want to be able to proudly state that she is my girlfriend. I understand if that can't happen right away, and I understand if you are never fully okay with my choice, but it is a part of who I am, and I would really like for you to be able to accept it and me.
    I'm sure that you are feeling a range of emotions as you read this...you may be upset, angry, confused, concerned, or any number of other things. I understand all of that. Really I do. I understand that you may need time to deal with these emotions before we can even think about talking about this. I've had a lot of time already to deal with these emotions. I've been dealing with them for quite a while on my own, and I've had time to sort through them. I'm doing this in a letter so that I can give you that space and time to sort through those emotions on your own as well. But please understand that if you want to talk, I'm just a phone call away and I will try to tell you whatever you want to know about this. Know that it's hard for me to tell you this, only because I'm certain this will be hard on you to hear, so it might take me a little while to get it all out, but I am willing to talk to you about this. I am not sending a letter to run away from that.

2. Spectre

Hi there! Gee, it sure seems like a lot of letters are flying around lately! Good on you. :slight_smile:

I've edited some of what you have written, feel free to ignore it. Except for the part about the "choice" - don't ignore that one - it needs changing.

3. flymetothemoon

thanks...as far as the choice part, I didn't mean choice as far as sexuality, I meant as far as the relationship...when I wrote it, I didn't even think about it being taken as sexuality, because I definitely don't think that part is a choice at all...but now that you mentioned it, I can see why it needs to change...thanks for the input. I really appreciate it.

4. shimmersky

It's a beautiful letter. I'm sure it'll all turn out awesomely.
    <3
    Keep us updated on the reaction and everything :slight_smile: