1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to mom, and hopefully everyone else

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by BlasttheCloset, Mar 16, 2010.

1. BlasttheCloset

I have finally decided to come out to everyone (thanks in part to the great advice I received here: http://www.emptyclosets.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33054 and hearing some really positive coming-out stories lately). But I am kind of nervous, especially because I just ended a year-long relationship with a really great guy.

So my first question is: I don't want people to hassle my ex-boyfriend or say that he "turned me gay," so how long should I wait/ what should I do about that?

My second question is that I am almost certain my parents are going to be fine with me coming out, but what questions have you gotten from parents/family/friends? I want to know what questions I might expect, although I have pretty liberal, non-religious parents, so I don't expect any bad reactions from them.

2. adam88

Are you coming out as lesbian or bi?

If Bi I don't think many people will come to that conclusion.

3. BlasttheCloset

I am coming out as bi.

4. biisme

Well, some typical questions are:

- How long have you known?
    - Have you ever been with a girl?
    - How sure are you?
    - Are you coming out as bi because it's "easier" than lesbian? (I've actually heard people ask this.)
    - Who knows?
    - Can we tell the rest of the family/friends?

5. Holmes

That was fairly much what my parents asked me. Except not too much on whether I was sure, as I was 22 at the time, so they presumed I was old enough to know myself. I told them I was gay even though at the time I felt bi. I knew I was settling more and more as gay, so didn't want to get into that question.

Parents will ask a lot of questions, but probably just because they want to be sure you're ok. Friends will probably ask less.

As to your old boyfriend, it's a little strange. I'm meeting an old girlfriend again tomorrow, I told her last summer that I was bi. She wondered why I hadn't told her, and I said "Well, I was always bi, but had a bad experience that I didn't want to talk about" and she understood. Probably not the exact same for you, but if you tell him that you're bisexual, he won't presume he turned you off, if you explain that you had feelings towards girls at some level long before you met him, and that for now you need to act on that side of your sexuality.

Oh, I have to say, I do like your profile picture, do you play the cello?