1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my best friend!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by EWU2012, Mar 18, 2010.

1. EWU2012

So about four hours ago I came out to my best friend (girl) on our car ride home from college for spring break. We were actually going to different towns but we met my dad half way to both towns. I will also be living with this friend this summer and next year during school. She is also technically the first person I have come out to and the first in person.

So to start off I have wanted to come out to my friend for a while now. I knew that she would be really cool about it because she has other gay friends but just never found the right time. The beginning or the drive probably would have been the perfect time because we were joking around about last night on how a girl was flirting with her at a burger joint. She was going to ask for the girl’s number and stuff but never did. It was just a lot of fun. I guess I should mention that I was also there with another girl and two other guys and we were all pretty wasted and walked there. So yeah I wanted to bring it up since we were talking about this but just couldn't.

About 45 minutes later I was getting anxious because I knew that in about half an hour we would be to where my dad was. I just decided that once the song we were listening to was over I would tell her. I honestly didn’t feel that nervous because I knew she would be really cool about it but once I said I have something to tell her I totally froze up. :confused: I kept on mumbling and started to freak her out. She was scared and really wanted to know what I had to say. Finally talking around my words I finally just said that "I'm Gay" Once the words came out of my mouth I felt such relief. I thought her reply was funny because all she said was" aaahhhhh that’s cute". Then she said she was so happy for me and now she has someone to talk with about cute guys. :icon_wink Haha I just kind of laughed.

So after I came out to her we just started talking about who all knew and I told her that she was technically the first person. That the first guy I don’t really know but just came out to him because he is gay. I just wanted some advice on how he came out and how his family and friends took him coming out. We also talked about other things but before I knew it we were where my dad was.

Now that I have come out to her I feel so much better. I was stressing out so much for really no reason for the last few weeks over this and it didn’t help that I was taking college finals. :bang: Now that I have come out to her I am more ready to tell my family which will probably happen in the next two weeks while I am home for break. It will be nice because I can call her up for support if I am having a hard time following through with my somewhat plan. So yeah this was my first coming out and I am happy it went so well. I hope others who are contemplating coming out decide to do it because it feels so good having someone to talk with. I know now we will have an even closer friendship. :eusa_danc

2. Flare

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! :grin: It's a great feeling when you tell your best friend and they are totally fine with it. I can definitely relate to this:

Same thing happened to me recently even though I knew the person I was telling would be fine with it. Once you're in the moment you suddenly start panicking. Well done for getting it out because you definitely would have regretted it if you hadn't. :slight_smile:

3. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    great story. I'm in a similar situation, only my best friend is a guy. I've wanted to come out to him for a long time, but I keep losing my nerve.

4. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! It sounds like it went the best it possibly could.

And not managing to tell it is pretty normal. After spending a wholee life training the reflexes to keep yourself from saying it, overcoming that is always a hassle. It does get easier over time, though.

5. Notreallysure

Congrats! I hope the rest of this week goes good for you too. I know you mentioned you might come out to your family on your break, so whatever you decide, good luck! We're all here for you.

6. Gaetan

Congratulations! It always is very difficult to say those two words, even when you know the person hearing them wont care at all about it.

7. EWU2012

Thanks guys!!! I am so happy I went through with it. I still dont know why I was mumbling the words. I guess because it was just a random time. I know if I said something when we on the topic it would have been much easier but I coundn't. But that doesnt matter now because I was able to finally do it. And yes I still do plan on coming out to my family before the end of my break. Once I come out to them I will definitley let you know how that goes.

8. Gosaints

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Congrats dude, it feels so awesome when u come out to someone, good luck dude :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. x2x2x2x2y2

Congrats!! I'm glad it went well!! :slight_smile:

10. EWU2012

You can now add one more person to my out status making it 3! :slight_smile: My best friend that I told told our mutual friend and future roomate. Its actually cool though because I told her that she could. The only thing is that she told her about three weeks ago and I just found out last night. I'm really relieved because now I don't have to worry about it. Now I just need to tell our other roommate brian. My friend that I told grew up with him so I may have her tell him as well since I dont really know him that much. We have only met a few times. My friend said he would be totally fine with it. So yeah 3 people now know that I am gay and may be 4 soon.
    FYI I am writing this on my phone so sorry for how it sounds or if there are any spelling errors.