1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I cannot believe what I did today!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Sylver, Mar 23, 2010.

1. Sylver

I came out to my mom and dad today!! I did it!! I did it!! I can't believe I did it!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I had been dreading this like nothing else in my life - this was definitely the scariest thing I've ever done! I have been scared of my parents forever and I thought for sure this was going to be the end of our relationship. I was expecting the worst or more.

But I knew I had to do this for my own sake, so yesterday I made the call to my mom that I was coming over today. This morning was one of the most anxious mornings I have ever lived through, and I don't know how many times I thought up reasons for turning back - probably a new one every 5 minutes. But some of the recent coming out stories here on EC plus some personal help from a couple of wonderful friends on EC got me over the hump and I went through with it.

I sat down with them and we talked about random stuff for a while. My heart was racing like I was about to die... Then during a quiet moment I sucked in my breath and I did what I told myself I was going to do - I told them the honest truth. I said "I came here for a reason. I wanted to have an adult conversation with you about something that's very difficult for me to say, but that I need you to know. I'm gay." And then I just let it all out and there was no stopping me. I was almost in tears and they just sat there and listened without saying anything.

Then came the shock of my life. My mom, a religious zealot for as long as I have known her and someone who has regularly put down homosexuals as aberrations to God, said "If this is how you are, then I accept you. You are my son and I will always love you no matter what." And my dad, who has always put me down and has quite a temper, said exactly the same thing. I had to check to see if I was actually talking to my parents and not some stand-ins that only looked like my parents!

Then we talked about it for a while. They asked me if I was sure, how long I knew, and what it was like keeping it in. They were genuinely interested! They said that people "in the family" had suspected for some time... Then it got really unexpected. My mom started telling me that the Catholic church, her church, was wrong about homosexuality! She said that this is how God made me, and if I was born this way then everyone including the church should be accepting of that. She said that recently her priest had said in a sermon that homosexuals were God's children and they should not be diminished for being born who they were. And my dad said that he would defend me to anyone who asked in the extended family. And then they said they were both proud of me for coming out to them, and they felt bad that I wasn't able to tell them sooner!!

As a final surprise, they told me that a person I grew up with back in my small town was likely gay and has been living in the city with a guy for some years now, although they weren't sure if he was officially out yet. And this coming from a town that has zero tolerance for gays!! So we ended with probably the most meaningful group hug in my entire life, and they said again that they were very proud of me for doing this.

I shocked myself by doing this - when I joined EC in early January I was so screwed up that this wasn't even on my agenda. My parents also shocked me - I still can't believe that this was their response. I was expecting the total opposite and this never factored into my calculations.

This is probably the happiest I've ever been in my entire life! I can’t even begin to describe the whirlwind of emotions I'm feeling right now, but I'm sure somewhere in there is elation, relief, disbelief, supreme joy and amazement. I am on top of the world right now!!

I am now "officially" gay! :slight_smile: There's no turning back from here, and I wouldn’t turn back for a million bucks. I feel like I've "graduated" from EC College - with honors!! Yes, I am very proud of myself - if someone told me I'd do this just 2 months ago I would have said that they were nuts.

I owe a huge gratitude to EC - I would not have done this without all of you!! You are my favorite people in the whole world, and this community has served its purpose well. So now I'm going to add another name to my list of EC heroes - my own!! :thumbsup:

2. Taurusguy92

I'm so happy for you!!!! (*hug*)(*hug*) Congratulations!!!

3. RaeofLite

Wow. That makes my day James. I love hearing great news like this. :grin: (!) Congrats!
    :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

4. Halpert

Wow, Woow. James, that is absolutely Fantastic! I'm so pleased for you. Congratulations! :grin:

5. remow49

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That's amazing! Your story is so inspiring and I can't wait for the day that I'll be ready to tell my parents! Congrats!! :slight_smile:

6. Chandra

I just got teary-eyed reading that. Kudos to you for your courage, and to your parents for opening their minds.

7. Beachboi92

congrats (*hug*) recently all these coming out stories have been very good and inspiring. I am especially warmed to see religious people being more tolerant and as accepting and loving as people like your family. It is great to see there are more good people in the world than we think (*hug*) :slight_smile: thanks for sharing that and congrats

8. Geradeth

Amazing!!! Congratulations, I'm so happy for you!! You must feel like you've hit the jackpot in respect to your parents reaction!

9. Nodnarb

Now I've got some tears in my eyes and a huge smile:grin: Congratulations on an amazingly perfect coming out!!!!

10. EM68

Congrats James! Well done! :eusa_clap

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations James! I'm still soooooo happy for you that you were able to come out to your parents. It's great that they are supportive and understanding and that you can be yourself around them and can put all the fears behind you. :slight_smile: (*hug*)

12. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    James, this is really wonderful to year! Congrats on screwing up the courage to do it, and even more so on the wonderful response from your parents. I'm sure this is an enormous load off of your shoulders. You've given some wonderful and insightful advice to others in the time you've been here so it must feel great for you to feel more open and free with yourself too!

13. Gaetan

Congratulations!

14. padre411

James - I'm thrilled for you. Thanks be to God and to EC and to everyone and everything else that have helped you get to this point. :eusa_danc :thumbsup: (&&&) :eusa_clap (*hug*) :icon_bigg (!) :smilewave :sunglasses: :newcolor:

15. dukeguy06

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Wow, I'm happy for you, I bet you feel alot better now

16. dude99

dude99 Guest

Congratuations. That is so cool that your parents are so accepting of it. I started to become teary eyed because of your post.

#16 dude99, Mar 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 23, 2010
  17. Zume

Hope for the best.. plan for the worst..eh? :lol: Congratulations James.. You've made an amazing achievement. :slight_smile:

18. Eleanor Rigby

OMG James ! I am sooooooo happy for you and proud of you ! I know coming out to your parents was something that really scared you. You have been incredibly courageous to do it. And the way they reacted is absolutly awesome !
    This thread just made my day first thing in the morning.
    (&&&) Cécile

19. ThePug

Inspirational. Congrats on coming out to your parents and it's great to know that your mind is at ease.

20. s5m1

James, congratulations! I am so happy for you. You should be very proud of yourself for taking that very big step. Now it is time to enjoy the rest of your life.