1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Advice on Coming Out to My Parents!! Please Help!!!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by perfectscorpio, Mar 23, 2010.

1. perfectscorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Other than a few of my high school friends from my graduating class, the only people I have to come out to is my family. I have been thinking about this a great deal and I really nned some advice, some guidence of some kind.

My parents were born and raised in Africa, Uganda specifically. So according to them, men don't date men (those words actually came out of my mom's mouth). They have no gay friends that I know of and the few times the subject has come up, it hasn't been good. My mom has joked about me bringing home a man, saying she would die if I did. She may have said that she was joking, but I could tell she was serious. It is these incidents, among others that lead me to the decision of coming out to my parents after college when I have no strings to them financially.

That was my plan ever since I came out to myself in December of 09'. However, from then until now, both of my parents have shown me signs that I didn't have to wait all that time. My younger sister been going through some emotional crap, pretaining to being a teenager. I've been talking to them about how to help her deal with it and they've been talking about how they love us no matter what and we (me and my sis) can be completely honest with them aboout anything and how we can't please them all the time, that we have to do what makes us happy in the long run. For the last few months, they have really shown me that there is a chance that they will accept me. Of course, they will be shocked and possibly angry and sad, but I think that with time, they will be OK with it. I can't expect them to be OK with it right away. If it took me 5 1/2 years to accept my sexuality, my parents deserve the same amount of time, if not more.

I feel as though I'm at the place where I'm comfortable with who I am and love that I'm gay. It's made me more confident and overrall happier than I've ever been in my life. Despite this, I want to be completely out and open, not having to hide the real me from anyone. Like almost any LGBT person, I'm terrified of how my parents will react. I know they will never stop loving me, but a part inside of me keeps thinking that they might.

Based on my circumstance, do you guys thinks I should come out to them over the summer or wait until the end of the year (the end of the year is the latest i will wait to tell them)?

2. Geradeth

I'd say it's important that you not rush and only come out to them when you are ready. That being said, if you can be ready sooner than later you'd be saving yourself the grief of waiting til the end of the year.

I like that you've given yourself a rough time frame and sound like you're staying focused and determined.

I like to think that it takes quite a bit more than being gay to make a parent stop loving a child (though I'm shouldn't be one to talk, I know that fear of parental reaction too and am still not out my parents...) Likely everything will go fine though; I wish you well in your efforts!

3. Sylver

I just crossed over to the other side of this equation today, so the advice I can offer you is quite fresh! :slight_smile: My parents shocked the daylights out of me with their response. Every indication they gave prior suggested their reaction would be aything other than what it was - total acceptance. I am still in disbelief and I'm expecting to wake up from a dream anytime now...

I have two criteria for people to come out to anyone, especially parents. (1) You must be comfortable with being gay and you must be able to say it out loud and mean it. It sounds like you're good on this one. Then (2) you must be ready on your schedule, no one else's. Only you'll know when the time is right, and if it doesn't feel right, it isn't. Trust me on one thing, you'll know the difference between it being the wrong time and just stalling. Two months ago would have been the wrong time for me, but these past few days I knew I was ready and the only thing holding me back was a bunch of lame excuses. We are smart enough to know the difference, although not always brave enough to act on that knowledge...

As for parents I would add a third criteria - you want to be extra careful if you're still dependent on them for support. If they're providing for your room and board or supporting you through college, you might want to wait for those reasons alone. Unless of course you feel comfortable with knowing how they will react.

There is no rush - it's not a race.

And one more thing, echoing some wise advice given above, I think we underestimate how much it will take to make a parent stop loving their child. I learned that one firsthand today! :thumbsup:

4. dukeguy06

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hello,

I too just came out with my parents. My parents are very big church goers and I was scared to death to come out to my parents. But I did, and they were very open minded about it and didn't freak out like I thought. You have to remember, no matter what you parents might say about gay people, it is different when that gay person is their son. Unless you have bad parents, they will love you know matter what. It may take some time fore them to get use to the idea of you being gay, but give them time.

Once you do tell them, it like a feeling I can't explain.

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the conversations you've had with your parents and what they've said about loving you no matter what point in a really good direction :slight_smile: And it's more common than you'd think for parents to have some kind of suspicion about their kids' sexuality, and to drop hints that they know and they're accepting, so it could be that they have more an idea of your sexuality than you might think.

My general rule of thumb when it comes to coming out is to do so when it feels harder to be in the closet than it would be to come out. If it takes until summer to feel this way, then that's the way it is and you can come out to them then. But this is a really good sign, and a pretty good indicator that it could go a lot better than you'd first thought, so if you find yourself feeling ready over the summer, then go for it. If you know coming out is going to result in being cut off or the like it makes a lot of sense to stay closeted, but if you feel that the reaction will be better than that, staying closeted when you feel ready to come out won't do you a lot of good.

Good luck (*hug*)

6. RaeofLite

One question... you don't live in Africa now, do you? Most countries in Africa prohibit any homosexuality or at least don't like it...:frowning2:

7. Halpert

The other's have already given great advice, so this'll be brief. All I wanted to say, is be careful with deadlines. A general timeline is okay, even helpful. But just be careful not to get too bent on a certain date, or even general date. Yes, its good to have that, and I advise something like it. But I don't want you to get hung up on telling them by a certain time, or on a certain day. Because, if it doesn't happen by then, the disappointment and frustration you'll feel toward yourself is horrible. I know it sounds rather silly, but the trouble I caused myself with that, it was pointless. Coming out deadlines have always been my 'button'. They scare me. :lol:

But anyway, I wish you all the best. And don't forget to keep us updated! :icon_bigg

8. uptownboy

what if you come out in your birth day when you're celebrating it with your family ?

9. RaeofLite

That would be an awesome anniversary, but it could make or break your current birthday... I would advise on coming out to friends you know'll be supportive before doing so for family.

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

^^That is a really good advice. Build yourself a solid base of friends before you come out to your family. That way, if things go badly (hope not), you can always go to them for support and comfort. Without my friends I don't think I could have ever come out to my family.

Hope it goes well for you :icon_bigg

#10 TheEdend, Mar 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2010
  11. uptownboy

well, just do it whenever wherever you think that you're very well prepared :slight_smile:
    good luck !!