1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Coming Out Anniversary

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Zume, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Zume

Well it's been one year to the day since I came out to my parents. One week before April Fool's Day.. Oh what a fun time that was..the constant stream of "Is this an April Fool's joke?" questions.

Just thought I'd share that with you all.. Aside from my birthday..now the most important day of the year to me. :slight_smile:

2. Sylver

It's great to see that it still means so much to you! (*hug*)

Your coming out story was one of the biggest influences on my coming out to my parents two days ago. For all the fear and dread I had which were providing me with limitless reasons to put it off, it was only psychological. When I read that you faced a real fear of being "thrown out on your ass" as you put it and yet you still went through with it, I knew that what I was facing was trivial compared to what you were up against. I actually printed out your story and read it once more just before I went to my mom and dads. And in that silent moment before I spoke those words from which there's no returning, I said to myself "If he could do it against greater odds, then so can I!" It got me over the hump, which is something I wasn't sure would ever happen in my lifetime.

That's why I'm so glad that people share their coming out stories on EC. They really do make a difference in other people's lives - I am living proof of that.

So one year later how do your parents feel about you being gay? Has your relationship with them evolved? Has it felt good to be open and honest with them about who you are for a year?

3. Zume

They, along with the rest of my family, crack jokes about me from time to time but that is expected. They seem to be dealing with it alright.. although they don't talk about it very often to me. It's become a much better situation I think..no more talks about when I get married..etc. It's lifted a great weight off of my shoulders. But I still get the feeling as though my mom is still uncomfortable about the whole thing so I don't bring it up very often. It's much more of an adult-adult relationship..or it was for a while..like they had met a stranger. But it's gotten better as though they realized that I'm still me. I still have no idea how my mom would react about some of my comments.. For instance, yesterday, there was an extremely cute cop that drove past us.. I was lucky enough to catch a glimpse :wink:.. Almost said something but I still have that feeling in the pit of my stomach like I'm not sure what she would say if I said anything. It's only been a year but parents are like this I suppose for a while. My sisters were fine with it right off the bat so I've had a lot of fun with them. They are my cheer leading section I think :lol: My mom has talked to them quite often about me apparently and they have been able to get her better used to the idea. It's helped them to have somebody to talk to.

4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Reading how well it went for you really give me something to look forward to :slight_smile:
    I wish I could remeber the date that I told my family haha

5. Jim1454

Congratulations. It really is a milestone of sorts.

I guess I'll also always remember coming out to my parents too - it was on the (Canadian) Thanksgiving weekend in 2007. They took it reasonably well, and have just continued to get more and more comfortable with the situation. They like my boyfriend and they are genuinely interested in how we're doing.

I agree that this site can be very inspiring. It was for me.

6. Jay D

Happy Anniversary!!!

7. Prccgeek

That is great! I can't remember the date I came out? I am going to try to figure it out.

8. nickmc

Yay! Congrats! :eusa_clap
    I'm glad that you're mum has realised that you're still the same person (or is at least starting to). As she becomes more and more comfortable, I'm sure your relationship will develop to something even closer- she seems willing to work on that since she's talking to your sisters :slight_smile:

As for the date I came out to my parents. I don't remember it either! I totally thought it was about Nov last year but when I said that to mum a few weeks back, she was positive it was before my 21st so it must have been before September :eusa_doh:

9. riddlerno1

Congrats!! I wish i could remeber the exact date i came out. I know it was like Summer 2008! :slight_smile:

10. Just Adam

congrats, im happy its all going well for you.

11. QuilsQ

Happy Anniversary!! I think it's great that things are going good.

12. fulofbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Happy anniversary. i also celebrated my one year anniversary coming out to my first ever person on 25th march

13. RaeofLite

Aaah to come out in the month of April. :slight_smile: It's either, an April Fool's joke, or an insult/celebration of Jesus's resurrection. :lol:

Congrats. :icon_bigg

14. Grottodude

April coming-outs are the best! Congratulations! =D