1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wrote a letter, giving it to parents this thursday.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by lolz, Mar 28, 2010.

1. lolz

Okay, I'm finally going to do it. Come out to my entire family through a letter. I am leaving for a trip to France this Thursday, and have decided a week away right after would be the best time to come out im ever going to get until college. I know my parents would need a week to think things over. I said in the letter that I will be checking my email every day, and they are welcome to send me anything they want. I hand wrote the letter so I cant post it on here, but here are some main points.

-Im gay (duh!)
    -Im the same son they always knew
    -Im sure about my sexuality
    -I currently have a very good support system
    -I am comfortable with myself

Anything I'm forgetting? I'm so excited!! :grin:

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good luck! One thing that might be helpful to add is something like "I';m not gay because of anything you did, or didn't do. It's just the way I am." But it sounds like it's a good letter, and I hope it goes well for you :slight_smile:

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds like you have covered the all important points. Maybe add: "I will always love you no matter what."

Good luck! Hope it goes well for you!

4. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you covered everything and it sounds like the best time to do this sort of thing. Good luck and I hope it works out for you! :thumbsup:

5. lolz

Thanks for all the support guys! I'm a bit apprehensive but I know if I dont give it to them this week I will regret it forever. And thanks I will add the above points :slight_smile:

6. lostinthought9

Good Luck!!!
    and keep us updated! :slight_smile:

7. RaeofLite

Maybe refer them to PFLAG (google PFLAG) or have some Coming Out books ready for them to browse through if they have a hard time adjusting to the news?

8. dukeguy06

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Good luck I hope everything goes well.

9. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I think leaving them an option to read more about can be beneficial, but maybe is too much to handle right away.Also, make sure you don't let them blame themselves for it.

good luck! :slight_smile:

10. biisme

I hope everything goes well! Good luck! And, be sure to tell us how it goes. (*hug*)

11. lolz

Good thinking with the PFLAG Stuff. I told them about how they could find some resources on this site, but PFLAG seems better.

12. Sylver

Yes, PFLAG is probably a better option for them because it is specifically directed at them as parents. If they ever connect with a resource, it will be PFLAG.

So I'll just play Mr. Cautious here (it's my job! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) and make sure you are ready for this. You do sound ready from what you've said and the points you're covering in your letter, but I'll go with better safe than sorry.

So first thing, can we safely assume that you're expecting it to more or less go well with your parents? I'm asking specificallly because of your age - you don't want to be forced into a situation where they react badly and it puts your personal safety and security in jeopardy. If there's any risk, I will always advise you to wait until you're more independent and self-sufficient.

Next question, are you mentally prepared for this? Are you confident enough in your sexuality to project a positiive vibe about it and about yourself? Again it does sound like you're at a good self-acceptance point, but I'm just asking to make sure. Also are you prepared for all possible reactions on their part? What if you're expecting it to go well and they don't take it as well. Are you at an emotional point in your own life where you can deal with negative responses?

Finally, do you know why you're doing this? Can you explain to yourself your reasons for having to do this now, and do they make sense to you as your own critic? Are they positive reasons or negative reasons? Have you weighed the rewards of this decision against the risks and come to the conclusion that the potential rewards outweigh the risks of things going wrong?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to talk you out of this - just making sure you're ready. If you are comfortable answering all of the above to yourself and you like the answers you're giving, then I'd say go for it! Good luck and let us know how it goes! :thumbsup: Oh, and enjoy France!! (lucky so-and-so... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

13. lolz

I completely understand the importance of thinking this through. First of all, I am more than comfortable with myself and Know what I am telling them is fact. I am assuming they will take it well, as they are generally liberal and open minded thinkers, but I have also prepared myself for a negative outcome. I know I would never have to find another place to live, it could just be awkward for a while but I am prepared for that. I am coming out because I'm tired of lying to my parents about girls and such. and it is really starting to seem like a joke, and it seems about time. I have added the PFLAG link in the letter aswell :grin: Just two more days!!

edit: lol a link in a letter. Kids these days :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

14. ANightDude

So? How did it go? :slight_smile:

15. QuilsQ

Good luck. :slight_smile:

16. wizdrorcal

It sounds like you've got everything all squared away. How did it go?

17. lolz

Sorry for leaving everybody haging, I just got back today :slight_smile: I got an email from my mom saying she already knew and she loves me :grin: We haven't really talked about it at all because my trip is the number 1 thing right now lol

18. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ahhh....good for your mom! I hope your Dad is okay too.

19. Prccgeek

yay! that is wonderful. hopefully you guys will have a nice talk about it and the rest of your family will take it well too! Yay for having a cool mom!

20. Eleanor Rigby

I'm glad your mom took it well. I hope things are fine with your father too.
    Congratulations for coming out to them.