1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out and this time I mean it.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by dudethere, Apr 9, 2010.

1. dudethere

Well two years ago I was outed by my principal which was terrible, but that isn't what this is about. When I came out they took it terribly the hole therepist, denial, even hate of somethings but he worst was, "why didn't you wait until you were 17?"

I had planned to wait and then do it again but I have recently started seeing someone who is amazing. I am going to a GSA conference next month so I need to tell them.

I think they know, I mean they have to but today my mom walked in on me and my boyfriend lying on the couch cuddling so its now in limbo between who is saying it first.

I just want some general things to avoid and good tips. I am ready and will be doing it this weekend, if not tonight.

2. Mogget

Tips, eh? Here goes:

Do

Be compassionate to those you come out to

Be assertive and certain of yourself

Have an idea of how you'll react to different outcomes. Coming out to someone who accepts you completely can actually be off-putting. If you prepare for a fight or an argument and don't get one, you can feel...awkward

Be prepared to tell your story

Do not

Shout or let your temper or tears get the better of you

Make your coming out about your boyfriend. This is your story, he can be involved, but it's not his story

Let anyone make the conversation about having sex or what you do behind closed doors. If they try, just say that you know how to protect yourself and leave it at that (and if you aren't protecting yourself...start. Now)

Come out for anyone but yourself. No matter how much you love your bf, he shouldn't be why you come out. At the very least, make it about how awful it is to date in the closet for you. Maybe this is just me being weird and incoherent, but I think it's important *shrugs*

3. Sylver

Unless your mother is myopic or painfully ignorant, she probably didn't miss this little detail... Mothers just have a way of noticing when their son is in another boy's arms... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

So let's presume she knows or suspects you have a boyfriend. Now the questions - (1) are you ready for her to know, and (2) how do you go about bringing it up. I'm thinking if you're cuddling with him on the couch at home, then you're probably ready.

So how do you tell them? I'd be resolute about it. It's a statement of fact. Remind them that you're still gay, and that's not changing any time soon. Then say that you're seeing someone and you wanted them to know about it because you want them to be a part of your life and this is a big thing for you. Hopefully they understand, but if nothing else they'll be formally made aware of the situation, and that's your baseline objective. Don't do it with him there though - don't make it any more awkward than it needs to be.

Good luck! :thumbsup: