1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Took the First Step

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Windmills, Apr 11, 2010.

1. Windmills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I just e-mailed my best friend from high school telling him that I am gay. Up to this point I have told no one. When I joined EC yesterday, I wasn't planning on telling anyone else this quickly, but once I took the first step and joined, I felt this urge to really tell someone. I wasn't sure how long I would actually feel this, so I wanted to take advantage of the momentum while it was there.
    The only problem is that now I am stuck waiting for a response, which I don't know if I will get tonight. At this point my nerves are going crazy and I don't know if I'll be able to sleep or focus until I hear back, so really I am just trying to calm down since there's nothing else I can do at this point.

2. KneeDragger

Congratulations on taking that first step and welcome to EC. It's a great place to hang out for advice and support.

3. nickmc

Well congrats on emailing him!
    The worst bit is the waiting for a response but I'll keep my fingers crossed that everything turns out for the best :slight_smile:

4. kramer362

good luck, hope it goes well man

5. biisme

Good luck! I hope that everything goes well, and be sure to tell us when you hear back. :slight_smile:

6. Windmills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, everyone. I haven't heard back yet, but it's only been a day. It's just really hard at this point not to assume it's a bad sign, even though logically I know that a day isn't really that long a time.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off, I think it is awesome that you took the step you did and came out. This is something to be proud off.

Take a deep breath, and just remind yourself that things will be fine. Try to do other things and just try to keep busy. Concentrate on school or on work. I'm sure you will get a response soon. (*hug*)

Congratulations on coming out!

8. RaeofLite

Congrats. I hope it goes well for you. Tell your closest friends most likely to be supportive or openminded first and go from there. :slight_smile:

9. KatieIt

Congrats on coming out to your friend. Don't worry too much, he probably needs some time to digest the news :slight_smile:

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Congrats on getting the courage in order to come out to a friend. That's huge! :grin:
    keep us updated :slight_smile:

11. perfectscorpio

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Good for you in taking that first step. It's always the hardest you. But, the good thing is that it only gets easier from here!

12. Windmills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    He responded! And I definitely made the right choice in coming out to him first. :icon_bigg He said exactly what I wanted/needed to hear.

His response summed up: Congratulations on coming out, I'm glad you're giving yourself the chance to be happy, and I don't think any differently of you.

His response was so awesome that I now feel bad about doubting him while waiting (he's having a busy week, so he didn't see the e-mail right away and actually felt bad that I had to wait for a response), but otherwise I am so happy and relieved to finally be moving forward. :icon_bigg

13. EWU2012

Congratulations on the amazing response!!! Hopefully this gives you the courage to come out to a few more people. I am just out to three people but it feels good knowing I have them to talk to.

14. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! Happy for you that it went so well! :slight_smile:

15. Sylver

Well congratulations! :icon_wink You've learned a whole bunch of valuable lessons here. You've learned that coming out can be a positive and uplifting experience! You've learned that there are people out there, important people in your life like friends, who are happy with whoever you are - they just like you for you! And you've also learned a very difficult lesson which will hopefully stay with you for a long time - to trust your friends. It's so easy for us to doubt them, and what we're really doing is doubting ourselves. I'm so glad he proved you wrong to doubt him!!

16. Windmills

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, everyone for the support. I definitely have learned a lot in the past few days, and I have y'all to thank for it. Reading others' stories here is what gave me the courage to finally start coming out. I still want to proceed slowly, but I'm working on a plan of who to tell next, whenever that may be.

17. Love etc

Nice. Slow and steady wins the race. Just remember that.

18. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be perfectly honest, this is probably one of the most simple yet inspiring stories on EC in recent months... Reading things like this where you didnt really take time to dwell on the fact that you came out to someone till after you did it, really makes me want to do the same!

19. AlyssWonderland

Congrats! :]
    It is quite annoying waiting for a response huh? Even when they're right there next to you when you tell them, for me it takes a lifetime for them to say something.

20. itIsMe

Congrats!!:eusa_clap
    This story has made me think...Maybe I could start my coming-out-to-friends process with an innocent email :grin: It's a good idea :slight_smile: