1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Last few family members

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by gaius, Apr 18, 2010.

1. gaius

gaius Guest

It's been a long time since i've posted on here, mainly because i came on here looking for advice on coming out, and since for a long time now I have been out to most people, i haven't really had a story to tell. The last people i had to tell were my grandparents, and at first i thought there was very little need to tell them anything as i wasn't in any serious relationship and, since i'm at university 3 hours drive away, i also don't see them very often.
    The problem came to head when me and my mum were having a coffee with them and they mentioned the subject of girlfriends...and me and my mum could only stammer out something weak as a response. We realised that our own familiarity with me being out was going to make one of of us say something in front of them. i didn't want to come out to them that way, but i had my own concerns...
    My Grandad comes from the north of england and if people know the mining town hard man reputation that the north has, in some peoples cases it is true. I'd never heard him say anything homophobic, but i knew that although he didn't dislike gay people, he didn't agree with it either and seemed to view it as more a choice than something you are born as.
    We decided my mum would talk to them while i was at university, that way if it blew up, arguments wouldn't occur and that if anyone had an adverse reaction it would have time to blow over before we all came face to face.
    i spent the first two days back at uni without any sleep....i knew they would visit during the first week but i wasnt sure when so i couldnt be sure whether they knew or not yet.
    When finally on the third night, I managed some sleep i woke to find my phone ringing and when i picked up it was my grandad, who with a much quieter voice than normal told me it changed nothing and he was always going to love me no matter what.
    i would describe my feeling when i hung up but i feel this is a better description!(!)

I apologise for writing a complete essay, along with no family fall outs or anything massively exiting but as this is my last ever coming out post i felt i should write it down here. Much love to everyone who has supported me and talked to me since i joined ec, not to mention the people on chat in the middle of the night who often have to talk to me when im a little drunk from a night out... i wanted to say that no matter what you think someone might say, or how you think they might react, the truth is always better, just remember to take care of yourselves and ill pop on here every so often and take a look at the hot guy game!:icon_wink
    Steve

2. RaeofLite

Awesome. :grin: I'm happy to hear it went noticeably well for you. :slight_smile: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

3. nickmc

Aww yay! I love reading about reactions like this :grin: Go your grandparents!
    Thanks for sharing.