1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Get it over with?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by travelinsoul21, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Since I started coming out (2 whole people), I can't help but think that I should just get it over with, write an email to everyone and then deal with it as they read the email. But then there is a small part of me that says "whoa, not so fast". I mean i've never even been on a date with a guy (yet:grin:) Am I moving too quickly or is it possible that I'm just that tired of hiding this lie and that subconsciously I just want to get it over with and out of the way so that I can move on with my life?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's really no reason *not* to come out if you feel you're ready. It might be really intense for a couple of days, but then... you'll likely feel a sense of freedom and liberation. There's no need to wait until you date someone if you know where your attractions and fantasies lie, nor is there any reason to disclose that you haven't dated anyone male yet if you don't want to... but honestly, very, very few people are likely to ask that question.

I'd say go for it if you think you're ready.

3. Eleanor Rigby

You have to come out on your own time and own way.
    Not everybody deal with it the same way. Some people prefer telling in person, other write letter or email. Some come out step by step and others tell everyone at once.
    If you feel ready for this and if coming out to everyone at once in an e-mail is what you want to do, then do it :slight_smile:
    Take care

4. I'm gonna wait for a few days, and wait and see how i feel once I've figured out exactly what to write, and then if I still want to send it to everyone, then I will

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My only suggestion is to think if there's anybody you're very close to who you might rather come out to in person (or on the phone). If the two you already came out to took care of those, then a mass e-mail is fine. :slight_smile:

A problem a few people come across is framing the e-mail correctly. It's hard not to babble, or to make it sound like a confession, or an apology. Instead, focus on what you said above - "I'm coming out of the closet now, so I can stop worrying about who knows and who doesn't, and can focus on moving forward with the rest of my life."

Lex

6. RaeofLite

I remember that I came out to my close, supportive friends before coming out to my parents and sister. I felt like I could fly and that EVERYONE should know.

Now it's not so much of a big deal. However, if you want to come out, come out for you, not because you feel pressured to tell everyone now that you've come out to a few people. Make sure you're doing it because you care about the people you're telling and that you're respecting yourself.

You may find a variety of reactions:
    -that some people already knew
    -others are surprised
    -others may respond negatively
    -some will ask you a flurry of questions
    -and others yet may be indifferent ("Why are you telling me? I don't really care... It's not a big deal.")

To some straight people it's not a big deal, in that if it doesn't affect your life, then they don't see the big deal about it. It's strange, but I guess they've never been in the position to come out because they've never had to, so they can't understand what it feels like with all the tension and turmoil one can experience.

And if you tell those that you care about (and still associate with day to day), then maybe just leave it. If you feel braver, disclose the information to others. The more you come out, the easier it'll be, generally.

And remember, it's not a race. But when it is, slow and steady wins. :slight_smile: