1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the verge.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by RedState, Apr 22, 2010.

1. RedState

Due to recent circumstances in my life, I have decided that I have I need to take the plunge...at least with one person. Because I am isolated basically, I need some sort of local support. Everyone that knows I'm gay doesn't know my friends at home. In other words, I've been living two different lives as all of us do in the closet.
    There is a dear friend of mine that is basically involved in the same line of work I am. He is older than me...like 45 or something (no romantic attraction, just good friends) in my town.
    He is openly gay, and has been for years.
    He has jokingly called me "you're such a homo" for years.
    I trust him...which is the important thing.
    But I am scared to death on how to do it, and don't know if it is the right time. I don't know if I am doing this just because I have been going through I rough time, or because it is finally just that time.
    But like I said...I am scared.
    Suggestions?

2. Zumbro

If you're real good friends, go out to dinner, or a bar, or just go hang somewhere and have a talk with him. I would hope that being gay himself he will respect any wishes you have to stay closeted until whenever you feel fit. Don't expect him to turn into a 'gay mentor' though. He might, which could be fun, but he might just want to be a friend.

Good luck!

3. The BC

I'd recommend dinner; do it sober.

4. Jim1454

There isn't a right and wrong way to do it. You just do it. You arrange to meet him somewhere where you're able to talk privately. You can even tell him in advance that you have something you want to tell him, or something you'd like some advice with. That way you've got his attention and he knows there's something a little 'heavy' that you want to talk about.

Then when you do meet with him, you just tell him. You could lead in with "There's something that I'm struggling with and I thought that talking to you about it would help. I'm gay." The rest of the conversation will just happen quite naturally.

Good luck. I really think it would be an awesome thing for you to do right now.