1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My confusing (but good) coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by xyc, Nov 9, 2005.

1. xyc

xyc

Well, I came out face-to-face for the first time in early October. I'm 17.

Late at night, my best friend was having a kind of problem and so he came over to my place (I live alone). We talked for a long time. I'd been wanting to come out to him for at least 4 months. It was always fear of his reaction and the minor kind of crush I had on him that stopped me.

So, I said I had something to tell him. Really, it went awful because even then when he was waiting for me to tell him, I kept trying to weigh pros and cons in my head and didn't say it and so it was weird. But, then when I opened my mouth to say it... he said "I think I might be gay" to me. ( :eek: )

I answered after as quickly as possible that "I'm gay". After, we shared some interesting conversations about the gay community and gay couples and things like that (and some surprise). At last, he asked to kiss me... I said 'No'. (I still have no idea why... but mostly to preserve the friendship, I think)

We met again and after watching a movie and talking again, he asked to kiss me again... this time I agreed to try. The first kiss was awful, lol. But it has gotten better.

Long story short: from there, we became 'best friends with benefits' for a while, which I don't recommend. Our emotions got so twisted and it was all just sexual (with lots of pressure) and I got so confused that I thought our friendship was over. Then, we had a "talk" and (to my surprise) he asked me to be his boyfriend. I said 'yes'.

From there, it's been great and I've been very happy. We've slowed down and we get to do 'romantic' things. I decided to finally write this because just recently we've both explained how we felt about the other and (agreeing that we don't know what love is, but this must be close) said we love each other. :kiss:

We've had some problems (and even one person finding out about us... SCARY) but we got through them all. Now things are great with my first bf.

In the excitement of that coming out, I also came out to a very minor friend who lives quite far away over MSN. I think it was a bad choice, but she's very open-minded and promised to never tell anyone (and there's no one she could tell, lol) and so we've had some good conversations about homosexuality and our relationships.

Alright, that's all I have to say. From here, I hope the relationship between me and my bf can keep going well until we both move apart when we graduate. I plan on coming out to my brother which I am closest to and who is very open-minded next.

Thanks for letting me share this. Comments?

2. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh my gosh, I HATE you! I mean, you just described the gay boy fairy tale! You are pretty much living like 99.9% of gay people's high school fantasies! AHHHHHHH!

Wow... no seriously, that sounds indescribably awesome. When I was first reading and you said you didn't kiss him, I was nearly screaming, "WHY NOT?! AHHHHHHHHHH!"

So I'm glad to hear you wised up in that respect.

Seriously, I know not everyone agrees with me, but when moments like that come along, it is CRIMINAL not to seize them. Purely criminal. Because they are just a lot more rare than one would think. And this whole "preserve the friendship" "defense" is just... well, stupid. No, it really is. I mean, if you're good enough friends, you can negotiate murky waters between you. If you're not, then there are other fish friends in the sea. Because the logical extension of the "but I wouldn't want to ruin our friendship" argument is that you end up having relationships with people you don't know very well who you might not find good friend material, and frankly I'm a firm believer in your significant other being your best friend, or one of the small group of your best friends. And frankly I think it's just an excuse to avoid risk. I mean, I can appreciate wanting to avoid risk but to disguise it as concern for a friendship when it's really concern for allowing yourself to be even more vulnerable to someone is, well, super counterproductive. And bullshit. And denial.

Oh... uh... yeah, back to your story: that's like the best story I've read in forever. I hope you really savour it and have fun. I have to go be green with envy now.

3. desko

Gah! :O

Basically what Joey just said... that is one AWESOME story. I can't believe it... the odds... it's so cooool 8)

Wow.

4. xyc

xyc

Wow... thanks... I've never really thought about it being so great or whatever...

But, our relationship really isn't the greatest. Sometimes it goes so wonderfully, and then it'll be horrible. For example, last night it went terribly. And we were pissed at each other, but then he wanted to leave angrily so I stopped him and made him talk to me and we felt better in the end (at least, I hope). (*hug*)

The problem, basically, is that he is HOT and I'm just self-conscious. So, it leads to certain pressurings. Then I feel bad for not being able to be open to him and he feels bad for pressuring me and then we both get dressed and sulk on the couch. So far (because I'm self-conscious) I've been kind of the 'bitch' of the relationship too... or at least I'm afraid I'm getting perceived that way by him. And, there's another kind of problem where he (too much?) took my virginity, but then stopped (grr.. pissed me off). Apparently, he wanted to save it for our anniversary or for (he's quite a romantic) his wedding night (with whoever that might be). But, so now am I a virgin or not? And I don't know if my reasons for wanting him to take me are 'pure' or not or if that's okay. I'm worried too that he always needs change and excitement, but I just prefer a routine more and going slowly. Another thing: the person who found out about us is close to him (I don't know her), but neither of us trust her and she's trying to blackmail us in a way because my bf made her angry not long ago, so eventually it may get out across the school and I don't know what I'll do. She said she would never tell anyone because she didn't want to do that to him... but then a few days later she was calling him a faggot, which hurt him a lot and I had to comfort him and I hated her so much.

But, so I guess I wrote this just to prove it's not a "perfect" desirable situation... Though, it is pretty good! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Okay, I'll admit it: I didn't kiss him to 'preserve the friendship'. I had a connection with him for a long time (as friends) and I loved him that way, but I wasn't so sure sexually. The first time we kissed (my first gay kiss) was absolutely horrible and the whole time I was just thinking 'How quickly can I pull away without hurting his feelings?' The next time was amazing and I couldn't wait to see him again. I still have no idea what changed.

I have yet to romance him with my sexy violin-playing though... :eusa_booh

5. goratrix

ok, I officialy envy you.

If any of the... well... two guys that I had crushes on when I came out had reacted like that, I'd be a very much happier guy... XD

Anyway, I'm happy for you, and how things turned out. :slight_smile:

6. nisomer

WOW!!! what a great story! i hope the relationship goes well with you 2 and you guys able to tough it out.

7. hawkeye

I think the situation is amazing, You're trying to tell him, he tells you, everyone's confused about what just happened. lol, great. Dont feel bad about saying no at first, I remember thinking that it would be extremely weird to do something with a guy a while ago just because it wasnt an idea that i was used to. Imagine telling your first person you think you are gay, and then immediately have a horrible experience kissing him! it would be terribly confusing. As for the trouble in the relationship, don't sweat it, It's going to be the same whether you are with a guy or a girl.

8. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that's pretty normal, especially during someone's first few relationships.

Hmmn... well just because you're self-conscious doesn't mean that you aren't hot--or that he doesn't think you're hot. I think EVERYONE is self-conscious to some degree, however "hot" they may be.

What seems to help is to talk it through with the other person. I know I was EXTREMELY self-conscious in my first relationship even though I didn't happen to turn ugly for it. But I was lucky because my boyfriend kinda worked it through with me... made me feel safe and attractive and it probably did wonders for my self-esteem that no doubt last to this day. I think if people realise that self-consciousness is more about fear of being vulnerable than it is any kind of objective judgment about their own attractiveness, that helps. Like instead of framing it as "oh he's so hot; how could he want me?" frame it as "he's so hot and I'm so scared/nervous/etc." And just communicate that to him--if he's worth his salt, he'll hopefully respond reassuringly.

Stop right there! Do not get caught up in whether you're a "virgin" or not. "Virginity" is about the dumbest, most patriarchal control freak stupid oppressive category ever. And relatively meaningless in the context of queer relationships.

Who cares if you're a virgin or not? Anyone who seriously does is pretty fucked up.

I considered myself "not a virgin" long before I ever had anal sex. To me, "not a virgin" meant "sexual non-experienced." So once I had been physically intimate with another person (a boy, as it turned out), I figured I wasn't a virgin. But that just goes to show you that virginity is simply a construct that is meaningless. I mean, maybe someone's "first time" can be considered different from the other times you do something but wrapping it up like it's this thing that can "taken" or "stolen" is, well, nutso. People don't have this one "virgin" card that others can take away and they can never get back--it's a totally artificial way of thinking of it. Plus it's a completely disempowering way of thinking of it. Have I mentioned it's a dumb concept? *grin*

And frankly, if he's such a romantic, he wouldn't have started something he wasn't gonna finish and then claimed it was some kind of romantically-motivated decision. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

What do you mean by "pure?" If you want him to "take you," you want him to take you. Whether you want sexual gratification or some kind of deep spiritual connection, it doesn't change how you feel and it doesn't seem (to me) like it should change how you feel about having that desire. I mean, if you're horny and you want him, so what? Or if you're feeling loving and you want to "be closer" with him, so what? If he's enjoying himself and you're enjoying yourself, why saddle yourself with a guilt trip? There's nothing wrong with feelling "slutty" anymore than there is with feeling "loving." It's all part of our spectrum of sexual feelings. Maybe (more than likely) it's a mix of both.

Wanting your boyfriend to take you sounds like a pretty okay thing to me, whatever its root cause. I mean, wanting anyone to take you is just sexual desire... what's wrong with that? Does it hurt anyone? Does it make the world a darker place, that you lust after someone? Does it do some kind of damage?

As for your preferred pacing and his preferred pacing, well, that's something that can only be sorted out by talking it through with him. It's not fun and it's not easy but it's the kind of thing that doesn't really solve itself. Maybe you only think he wants to go faster--maybe he's being like that because he thinks that's the way he's supposed to be. Maybe you only think you want to go slower, because you have a hard time trusting him or being vulnerable. Or maybe you're spot on with your take on the situation--you'll never know unless you ask.

Wow... she sounds like a tool. I mean, it's one thing to be angry at someone; it's quite another to lash out at them about that kind of secret. That's really good of you to be there to comfort him--I'm sure he really appreciated it. I don't know about you but one of the best things I like about a relationship is the chance to be there for the other person. I find it really fulfilling.

That's sounds pretty cute. Perhaps if you tried it, he'd be the one wanting you to take him. *evil grin*

9. xyc

xyc

Thanks for the detailed reply joeyconnick!

Yeah, he's definitely hotter than me, first of all. I think I'm cute (and he tells me that).

Virginity: yeah, well, he was confusing for a while. He bought condoms and lube and then all of a sudden told me "It's not happening, so forget about it". So, that was fine. Then, suddenly it happened. So, I'm definitely not a 'virgin' anymore (whether it's a stupid term or not). I liked it, but it was, sadly, too fast (I wasn't ready/relaxed) and so not the greatest.

Yeah, I'm okay with the reasons. I want to be closer with him, and experience it, and I'm horny. So, I think that's fine.

Sadly, after we had anal sex, it seemed fine and then he got depressed and collapsed on the floor. Then, told me we had to take a break and just be friends and "no kissing". Then he said hurtful things. Then he slapped me twice very hard (this was, however, in response to me semi-asking for it because he hurts me all the time emotionally, he might as well in other ways). Then he repented, said sorry, and we're back on. He's been having a lot of problems in his life, and I don't know how to help him. I guess the problem was that his 'first time' was to be with a girl he was in love with and I was corrupting him (to his true sexuality) and not fitting in his vision of his perfect future.

I agree the 'comforting part' is very fulfilling, but I'm having trouble because he has too many things and is very confusing to me. He said he just needs some time to figure out some things and he should do it alone. But then he went back on that because he still wants me (for the support perhaps? Or horniness?)

He's also upset that he can't truthfully give blood now (I wish I'd never informed him) because of MSM gay ban for giving blood. I personally refuse to give blood until they lift that ban (plus, now I'm not able to if I answer the questions truthfully).

Something I never said: I don't like being gay, but he loathes it much more. He is still struggling with the hope that he's straight. He'd moved to 'bisexual' not long ago. Then, he told me he had "lost his attraction" for females one night. The next day, he went back to denying that and pretending he's bi, more attracted to women, and that he was going to marry a female. Amazingly, it seems that he's never had time/been able to figure it out much. As a kid, he was bullied about being gay a lot (part of his name rhymes with 'fag' also), and so I think actually being gay would prove them right and he can't do that. I've known I was gay, but just clinging to that 'bisexual' hope for a long time. This year was really the first time I could honestly admit 'I'm not sexually attracted to females at all' to myself.

So: does anybody think our relationship is not a good idea because he's still figuring out his sexuality? Whether we stay bfs or not, I will stay with him to support him. But, I don't know whether to say 'nothing sexual' when he's struggling and to just help him out/hold him. But, he wants sexual things sometimes when he's depressed because he thinks it'll make him feel better, but it ends up just hurting me (emotionally) and forcing me past my limits.

Any advice? (This should really be in the support section, I guess...)

10. drhladnjak

My own emphasis added to the quote:

Stop being a victim and get out of this relationship NOW!

I think your relationship is not a good idea, but not because he's still figuring out his sexuality. Being in a relationship can help a lot of people figure things out faster in fact. My problem with it is that he is being abusive both emotionally and physically to you, which is completely not acceptable. You can't count on him to change even if he says sorry every time it happens. Also, you're not "asking for it". He has no right to inflict that on you for any reason. It's important to realize while it's not your fault that he's abusing you, you have the ability to get out of this situation (by leaving him and cutting off all contact) and need to do so ASAP.

I'd also recommend googling around the web for info on abusive relationships. This site is just one example.

11. xyc

xyc

Eeehh... don't say that. Anybody have more advice??

I honestly asked him to hit me. I told him it hurts when he says "You're disgusting" and "it's over" even if he's just joking or depressed; it doesn't give him a right to do that, and I hate the constant 'I'm breaking up with you' joke (which somehow got started between us). So, I asked him to slap my face because he 'seems to always want to hurt me every other way'. Then (to my surprise, I'll admit) he did (a slap). Then he said 'That wasn't my hardest'. So I said 'Okay, hit me at your hardest' and then he feinted a couple of times and hit me again. It wasn't quite abuse, and it was very confusing. I literally did ask for it this time, though, lol.

Also, I don't want to lose him. Basically, I've decided to stick with him right now... can someone give me advice about whether or not it seems like this might be something he can get through (and I can help him through as hisboyfriend) or does it sound beyond disrepair?

Absolutely, if he really does just hit me or beat me, it's over for sure. I asked him to "never hit me again" ever. Because, he always kind of 'play hits' and 'play slaps' when you joke in a specific way or say something stupid, kind of. But I don't like it so I asked him to never hit me again ever and he agreed. He already failed by 'play slapping' me once, but immediately said 'sorry, force of habit' and it was fine.

So, when he seems to be in an irritable and depressed mood, I've decided it's probably best to do absolutely nothing sexual because it causes serious problems. I think that's a good idea. If he gets out of his depressed/confused state and we're happy again (like we were when we first started dating), it'll be nice.

Urgh... you're always taught about 'abusive relationships' in school... I thought I'd be smart enough to recognize it and get out of it if it happened to me... Do you still think it's abusive now that I've explained more?? :icon_conf

12. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi xyc,

You're welcome for the detailed reply. And I'm sure your relationship is extremely confusing because it sounds like your boyfriend is pretty torn up about being gay. That's understandable--it's not exactly an easy thing to deal with for most people. And when people are torn up, they do tend to take it out on the people who are closest to them. And from the sound of it, you make an easy target just because he can foist all the self-hatred he's facing over his sexuality onto you and make you a scapegoat for it (kinda the notion that you're seducing/corrupting him).

That's all understandable but I don't think it's acceptable. Even if he hadn't slapped you, some of the things he's being saying sound to me like they go well beyond the basic "I'm having a bad day" sort of thing. He is having issues with his sexuality that he is blaming on you, and that's not fair. And no matter how much you might have asked or begged to be hit, it sounds like you really didn't want to be and weren't expecting it... and I dunno about you but that seems pretty extreme to me, for him to have done it twice.

I don't think abuse in relationships is a "one strike and you're out" thing... some people disagree--they think if someone loses it once, they'll lose it again, so basically there are no second chances. I'm not convinced it's that simple but I do know that very few people start out thinking they're in an abusive relationship. Part of that is because they love the person they're with and part of it is because to conceive of being in an abusive relationship means you generally end up thinking of yourself as a victim, and most people don't want to be considered victims. But from everything I've read up on abuse in relationships, a key point is that initially, the person receiving the abuse doesn't usually see it right off the bat and the other thing, which seems to be happening in your situation, is that the person on the receivng end of the abuse makes a lot of excuses for the person dishing out the abuse--excuses and justifications.

I think everyone probably mistreats the people they're close to on occasion. Sometimes this takes the form of verbal or emotional abuse, and sometimes it gets more serious. I know I was pretty cruel to one of my ex-boyfriends and I still regret it to this day. But the relationship you're describing, minus the slapping, sounds like it's an ongoing pattern of him treating you really poorly. It also sounds really cyclical, with the whole verbal/emotional abuse, the "break-up," the teary-eyed confession, then the reconciliation. Which is then followed by the same thing all over again.

Something to consider might be whether you would consider it appropriate if a teacher slapped you? Or a stranger? Why is it that it's okay for your boyfriend to have done it? I mean, shouldn't he be the last person in the world to be hurting you, whether physically or otherwise? Yes, he's going through a tough time and dealing with a lot, and so maybe that excuses him--occasionally--being thoughtlessly cruel and lashing out at you verbally. But what if one of your parents slapped you just because they were upset? I mean, would that be okay just because they blamed you for their being upset?

Our society would come apart pretty quickly if whenever someone got mad, they were allowed to lash out at someone physically and that was considered okay.

I really think that if one person in a relationship is going through something heavy that is directly impacting their relationship, that relationship is not gonna go anywhere or be worth continuing in until, to put it bluntly, the other person gets their shit together. I can imagine what an important relationship this must be for you because so many aspects of it sound quite amazing, but I would give some serious thought to whether it's worth being treated badly. And that's somewhat of a trick question: I don't think, ideally, it's worth being treated badly on a regular basis for any relationship, no matter how good the relationship is otherwise, how hot the guy is *grin*, or how good he is in bed. You're worth more than that, so I hope you'll realise this is your first relationship and there will likely be many more in your life--and that you don't deserve to be treated poorly just so you can have a boyfriend.

13. drhladnjak

Well, perhaps there is no pattern of actual physical abuse, but I'm still not convinced this is a healthy relationship. There appears to be an ongoing pattern of emotional abuse which seems to be interconnected with a bunch of drama between the two of you. I still think you deserve better.

Maybe you should stick around to help out your friend, but I'm not convinced it's a good idea for you to be involved romantically or sexually with this guy as a boyfriend. To me it sounds like you're sticking with him because you're afraid of being alone and there's nobody else better in sight right now. Frankly, that's the worst reason ever to remain in a relationship. You need to ask yourself "do I want to be in this relationship right now?" not "is there another possible relationship on the horizon which will be better than this one?"

That said, in time he probably will work things out, at least to a certain extent. I mean a lot of people come to grips with their sexuality after a few years, but there are many who never really do. Things might work out or they might not. However, I imagine if things do work out, that'll be some time in the future. You don't need to be suffering like this in the present. You know the old adage: there are lots of fish in the sea.

14. xyc

xyc

Okay, a couple things I disagree with:

The 'abuse' isn't cyclical (... yet?). We haven't been together long, and it was mostly pretty good (a little rocky occasionally) at the start, and then it just suddenly went very badly, which may be attributed to his falling into a kind of depression, caused mostly because of his finally having to face his (bi/homo)sexuality. So, we had three bad dates. I'm still waiting for it to get better. If he doesn't respect me more, or if the relationship doesn't get any better, or if he becomes habitually abusive (emotionally, physically, whatever), it's gonna be over. I was supposed to meet him yesterday but couldn't. Our next date will be in a couple days and I'm gonna stick with him just to see what exactly will happen. *anticipates*

Being with him: okay, I admit it has a lot to do with 'he's the only one available' and I"m a little guilty about that. I'm living in a rural area and he's very likely one of the only other gay people here (at least around my age). However, our interests and things mix well a lot, and so that's why I became friends with him. So, it's a good match anyways and even if there were others he'd still probably be the one I'd wanna be with. Now, I just wish our relationship would work romantically. Also, if I truly think about it my answer to "do I want to be in this relationship right now?" is yes.

I'll see what happens and then maybe post back. (This thread has gone insane! I've said way too much!)

Thanks for listening and all of the support!!! :biggrin:

15. hawkeye

because of the situation he is in, I really think you have to talk to him about what bothers him. It sounds like the problem is that he is sexually uncertain, and that is especially hard to go through when involved in a relationship. Make sure you talk this out with him, because you can learn something about him that can help you help him when he goes into these depressions, and you will be able to avoid becoming a victim. Most importantly of all, talking to him could show you where your relationship is headed.

16. nisomer

i agree with hawkeye, u should have a little chat with him and ask him whats up. just talking to him about his problems could help him and your relationship a lot.

17. xyc,

I've been wanting to reply to your post for a while. I was in a similar situation w/ my college roommate, except I was the one who was very conflicted w/ the relationship (which is odd b/c my roommate is straight). After we fooled around, I always felt so awful. I would literally push him away; at those moments, nothing disgusted me more than the idea of touching him. It was completely unfair to him, and I regret it to this day.

To be honest, I don't think there's anything that he could've said to me to help me feel more comfortable about myself. I just needed time. So I think the best thing you can do is to be patient and to be a friend but to quit it w/ the physical stuff. B/c no matter how much he thinks he wants it in the heat of the moment, the ending will be the same every time: he's going to feel rotten, and he'll make you feel rotten, until he can accept himself w/o hating himself.

There's this wonderful song by Aimee Mann called Humpty Dumpty:

Baby you're great; you've been more than patient
    Saying it's not a catastrophe
    But I'm not the girl you once put your faith in
    Just someone who looks like me

So better take the keys
    And drive forever
    Staying won't put these
    Futures back together

And that pretty much sums up what I wanted to tell my roommate. Like, "Listen: I'm a completely nightmare. If I were you, I'd run away as fast I could."

And that shall mark the end of this episode of Completely Depressing Hopelessness, brought to you by Motionmaker.

(Ooh, btw, I totally get what you were saying about the hitting thing. One friend and I made a promise that we'd punch e/o in the face one day, but we drifted apart before it ever happened.)

18. xyc

xyc

I've tried to talk to him, but I never quite know what I'm saying and I've found it to be really hard.

Motionmaker: my bf's told me that he needs time and he has "too much baggage" and I shoudl get away from him. But, I said 'no' and that I wanted to help him. Maybe the wrong answer? I've been hoping the ending wouldn't just be the "same" every time, maybe I"m being naive...

19. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think you're being naive... you're being hopeful. Sometimes we hope in vain and sometimes we don't. But he does sound like he has major issues and he really, really shouldn't be taking those out on you by calling you disgusting or implying that you are somehow corrupting him. They're HIS issues, not yours.

20. xyc

xyc

Final closure:

We broke up yesterday. (the fantasy is over!)

He was abusive, also. Not physically, but otherwise. I basically tried to give him a taste of his own medicine as to how horrible and selfish he was being between the two of us. He didn't like it, got angry, tried to force me to give him a blowjob, I broke up with him, I kinda took it back, he said we should have a break and admitted he was a horrible person(though only to try to guilt me and make me look bad because its' as if I'm saying that I'm perfect), and then I drove him home. We fought and tried to 'be honest' but ended up just trying ot hurt each other. At last, we agreed it should be an indefinite break. I'm surprisingly okay. I'm not hurt at all, just slightly unhappy about it all. I get twinges occasionally wishing that we were still dating, but when I think about how horrible he was, I'm worth so much more.

I'd like to be his friend still, but he's just angry at me and not talking to me, basically. So, we'll see what happens. (Does anyone else think it's ridiculous that he's angry at me because i didn't allow him to continue being an abusive, selfish person towards me??)

I could rant for hours, but I was already so angry last night and this morning, I don't want to get into it. I'm so relieved it's over. (!)