1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Done.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by 12tonowhere, Apr 26, 2010.

1. 12tonowhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When I say I am done, I mean I have told most of my friends and my familiy knows. At this point I told feel like there is anyone else I need to come out to. I changed my facebook profile page so anybody who is bothered could take a gander and find out, I feel it is no longer my place to let them know.

My parents were the last milestone and they in turn told my extended family. I had been trying to find the right moment to tell them. So, I was looking to do it face to face, however, I am at uni and not home very often. At Christmas my sister had a pregnancy scare, we were worried for a while there might be something wrong with my aunt. Essentially, there just never seemed to be a right time. I came close on my birthday but I was blazing drink and felt it wuld have been inappropriate.

Anyway, it turns out that some time last week my 19 yo sister got engaged to her 23/24 yo (thats how well I know him) boyfriend, after 2 months!!!! yes. 2. months. Like wtf. Even weirder is that my parents are fine with this( my family history is pretty unimportant but my dad proposed after two weeks which explains their lackadaisy attitude) . Anyway, I was talking to my mum on the phone about how ridiculous the whole situation is, and decided that there is never going to be a time when something else isnt happening, my sister has too much drama, and since they are at least happy about this, then I may aswell "come out" and say it...

So I told her, and all was fine. She was like I just want you to be happy. Apparently when I was 4, my uncle had been going of on one about homosexuals, when my granmother cut him of and told him " we dont know what we have in our house". So, even at the age of 4 I was displaying signs. My mothers family all gather on a Sunday after Church, and they discussed that if it was the case, then it was not a problem. So, I guess I was a kind of lucky.

My mum had actually been more worried I was straight and was going to be a bachelor for the rest of my days, she had went of the idea of me being gay when I was 13 or 14, which when I remember back is probably when I would say my sexual ambiguity came to light, which I found pretty funny.

I think it left her torn in some sense though, because, it means no grankids from me, when I probably the best offsrping :wink: lol and I dont think she particularly agrees with gay adoption ( she works with the homeless, and she find many of them have had tough lives, attributed to a poor upbringing and a broken home. I cant say I would totally disagree) but she was totally fine. Kinda glad I live far away because she wanted to come give me a hug, I think if I had said I needed her to come through she would have been there, despite it being about an hours drive and it being 11 at night.

Not to leave my dad, he phoned the next day to say he was fine with it, and that I was still his son and he loved me and that hadnt changed. If I am being truthful I just wanted it out there and none of the cringe hallmark moments of support and stuff, it kinda gives me the dry boak, I just wanted it to be a non issue and get on with our lives. which I think it will be now.

So that is mean, as it says in the title, done. Theres no one else I need to tell. All though I feel such statements could be somewhat naive lol

Thanks for reading if you could be bothered!

2. HalfInsane

Congrats! It's great that your family took it so well, especially right off the bat like that.

3. The BC

That's awesome. Congrats!

It makes my day hearing about positive coming out stories. :slight_smile:

4. elitechris

One of the best coming out stories i've read :slight_smile:
    My mom is also torn about the whole grandchildren issue... but adoption and surrogacy are some options

congrats!

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Your family sounds amazing. Specially your grandmother :slight_smile:

Congrats on finally coming out to everyone that really matters!

btw, adoption is actually a ver positive option. There are many good people that have been raised by gay parents now and nothing has been wrong with them.

6. 12tonowhere

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Without seeming really harsh, my family isnt amazing...there is many problems. But what family isnt.

Yeah my gran was wonderful, and I am happy she wouldnt have been bothered. I often wondered if I would have been a dissapointment to her. So, im glad to hear that would not have been the case!

7. Jim1454

Good story. I'm glad it went so well.

8. Sylver

Thanks for sharing this with us, and congrats on being fully out! :thumbsup: Doesn't it just feel so great about this not being an issue any longer?

9. Goliath

Congrats! Was it harder than you thought at first?