1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe a funnier coming-out tale :)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Gargravarr, May 3, 2010.

1. Gargravarr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi all,

I know I'm new here, but I thought I'd share my story of coming out, if only to one person, because it went so well I still can't believe it!

I'm a well-known, both to my family/real-life friends and online, as a fanficiton author. It was whilst reading some gay fics that I realised I'd always had stronger feelings towards guys, and it eventually came to light that anything I'd ever felt towards girls was something I'd forced on myself whilst at school, as my school didn't treat gays well at all, so I tried desperately to appear straight. It didn't work, but I was able to hide being gay. Didn't help much, as it kept me confused for years until recently I accepted it.

Okay, so... I got some inspiration to write a gay romance fic as a way to describe what I was going through, and posted it. It went pretty much undetected and though I was pleased with it, I wasn't too bothered and forgot about it. That was a couple of weeks ago.

Yesterday, I saw a large number of updates in my inbox from my sister, who I'd help set up with a fanfiction account, and she'd posted her Harry Potter work all at once. I live away from home, so I MSN'd her and jokingly thanked her for filling up my inbox. She then reminded me that she gets all of my updates too.

This is the point where everything around you goes silent and you start thinking 'oh no...' :slight_smile:

She told me she'd read my romance fic, and that she had an idea of why I'd written it. I figured, I'd accepted who I was, so why not? I didn't hide it, I told her outright that I was gay, and she was instantly accepting of it, which made me relieved beyond measure. She told me she'd suspected for quite a few years, and that my close friends also strongly suspect I am. We had a very open discussion and I went to work very happy with the result. It's strange, because I've never been very close to her. In real-life she's extremely irritating and always wants her own way, yet online we have very open, understanding talks. Altogether though, I feel very happy knowing she both knows and accepts me.

As she's my only sibling, the next step would be parents and friends. However, during my talks with my friend on fanfiction who helped me realise, I decided that whilst I wouldn't hide the fact that I am gay, I didn't feel the need to broadcast it either. If anyone wants to know, I'll tell them outright, but otherwise, I don't feel my friends/family need to know. If, on the other hand, something happened, like I met a guy, then I'd have reason to tell them.

My parents would most likely understand; my mum outright asked me a couple of years ago because of comments one of my friends made at a party, but still deceiving myself, I told her I was straight. However, my parents came immensely close to splitting up recently so I don't want to add to their stress. Again, it doesn't change anything, so I don't feel that they need to know yet.

So yeah... I've had an interesting couple of months recently! :slight_smile:

Thanks for reading!
    -Gargravarr

2. Jim1454

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you have your sister in your corner now. That's great!

3. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    gratxs mate ! im sure that fan fiction would be a great read :grin:

4. Gargravarr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Haha, maybe! What makes it funnier looking back is that fic was rather... erm, how do I put it... passionate...? :icon_redf

Thanks for the replies, both of you! It makes me feel so much better knowing there's aplce I can talk about this!

#4 Gargravarr, May 3, 2010
    Last edited: May 3, 2010
  5. remow49

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats! That's a great story :slight_smile: I hope all else will go well for you!!

6. AlyssWonderland

Congrats! :grin: Glad it went well! And welcome to EC.

7. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    well done. Super good news!