1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Almost done

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by KneeDragger, May 4, 2010.

1. KneeDragger

Last week I came out to my kids. Tonight, I came out to my parents and my sister over the phone. They live far away, so telling them in person is about impossible. Now that just leaves my wife's side of the family and one set of friends.

My parents were shocked but supportive. Mom could hear the pain in my voice and wanted to hug me. She told me she loves me and that I'm still her son. Dad was quiet and didn't respond. I totally expected that response from him. As one of my super supportive friends said "Dad's putting it together why you never wanted to play catch". My friend is awesome. Anyway I know they have a lot to process and that they will adjust in time.

My sister was the most shocking to me. She usually comes across as a cold b****. I told her I was gay and instantly she said "I love you and I want to hug you right now". With that, I lost it. That was the reaction I had prayed for but totally didn't expect. She told me she has to take it all in but that she is there for me if I need anything. She is the best and I feel so bad for underestimating her.

So now I'm sitting here in a very weird state. I'm sad and happy at the same time. Sad because I feel like I let everyone down (I know I didn't but it feels that way). And happy that I'm getting to the end of my coming out process. It's just a strange place to be right now. My head is spinning from all of it.

At this point, saying "I'm Gay" isn't hard. It's pretty easy. As a matter of fact, it's almost too easy. I've almost outed myself a couple of times. I just didn't want to come out to these people until I had come out to my family.

Tomorrow will be interesting. I'm sure mom will call and maybe even my sister. Dad probably won't bring it up because it's just not like him to discuss things like this. Mom will keep me posted as to how he is processing this. That's just what she does. Thanks mom!

2. remow49

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrats on your journey! I hope it will only get better in time. I'm so happy for you that your family took it great! I'm sure your dad is fine with it...he just may not know how to express it. :slight_smile:

3. uptownboy

wow your sister did a great great great thing because your story tell like "she usually comes across as a cold b****", bu then she did something unexpected and that was awesome !! congrats

4. padre411

Congratulations! I am just at the point of imagining being where you are right now. It seems like elation and wonder and the feeling of the ground shifting under your feet are all valid ways to feel at this point.

I pray the hardest work is done and that you can now get on with living.

Peace,

5. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations for coming out to your family. I can only imagine how hard this must have been and I am happy for you that your mother and sister have shown you their love and supporte.
    I know other people have told you that already, but one more time can't hurt : you're not letting down anyone. You are handeling this all situation with an incredible courage that commands respect.
    Many (*hug*) (*hug*)

6. Jim1454

That is truly awesome news! I'm glad you've done it, and I'm glad it went as well as it did. Congratulations!

7. KneeDragger

Thanks for the support. As expected, my sister texted my wife and I this morning with a message of support and love. What I didn't expect was a call from my dad. I was driving to work and I had the radio cranked. He called and it ended up going to voicemail. He asked me to call him and that he has had time to process what I told them last night. He said all he cares about is for me to be happy and that my wife and girls needs are being addressed. We don't talk about feelings or emotions when we talk. This is the closest thing to feelings and emotion that he has ever said to me. Likewise nobody in my family says "I love you". So maybe this will pull all of us together.

Today is a good day for me. I've calmed down and I feel just a little bit of relief. Coming out has been very frightening because I've expected the worst. So far, each person has reacted much better than I would have expected. And in the case of my sister, I found out that she is the best sister I could ever ask for.

Now to begin the process of finding my new "normal". Lex has said that being out kicks ass. I'm not to that point yet, but I'm beginning to understand what he means.

8. Jim1454

Trust Lex. He knows what he's talking about! :icon_bigg