1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm finally out.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by fanfreek, May 9, 2010.

1. fanfreek

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Finally, after years of keeping quiet. I personally never thought this day would come just because I was scared and was always thinking of my best (in the material sense) without realizing that I needed to unburned myself. I had been dropping hints to my dad for months, and finally I decided to tell him. It took me a great 15 minutes after the conversation started, but I finally told him... and he was okay with it, somewhat. He didn't understand it, of course, but he wants me to live my life the way I want to live it, without anyone giving me tips on how to live it.

I previously suspected he might know, only to find out later that he had absolutely no idea during my entire life. He still thinks it may be a phase (because the women I ran into were just awful), but I explained what I wanted and he was okay with it by the end of the day. I was getting prepared for days of drama before that, but the day turned out great. On the other side, he doesn't think I should tell anyone (probably because he hopes I might change my mind one day, so why should anyone know?), especially since I live in the type of small city where they'd crucify me if they ever found out, so he even suggested I should go live in the city again, which I might just do.

All I know for now that it went okay, and now I have to move on somewhere from this place. I'm ready for change. Too bad finding a guy in the place I live is like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

2. EWU2012

Congrats on coming out to your dad. Hopefully I get the courage soon to come out to my parents and the rest of my sibilings soon. I do know for sure that they all know because my sister told me but I just haven't confirmed it yet to them. It will take time but your dad will come around to be more accepting.

3. Beachboi92

congrats :slight_smile: and don't worry about your dads current views, those things have a tendency to change in people who are truly accepting. No parent really "wants" their child to be gay because they are afraid of what type of issues will result (discrimination etc). I hope you continue the streak, after the 1st the next ones always get easier :slight_smile: and if you have any more issues with your dad just let him know you wouldn't have told him if you where not 100% sure of things. It sounds like it will all be ok though :wink:

4. fanfreek

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm still surprised in myself, that after all the struggles I've had, I was able to do this.

I always had an okay relationship with my dad, so it's all okay. We'll see how it develops.

5. Connor22

go on my son thats great that you came out and great that your dad was so accepting well done :slight_smile:

6. rachob1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congrat's

7. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

WOOP! Well done :grin: My dad was the same when I told him. He was awsome about it all.

8. seadog

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You have power in your manhood! Congrats on flexing it!

9. fanfreek

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks guys :slight_smile:

10. padre411

Congratulations! That's a big hurdle to have leaped.

Peace,

11. Jim1454

Telling our parents - no matter what our age - is often the hardest. I'm glad you've got that behind you.

12. dude99

dude99 Guest

congratulations! That was very brave.
    Well your dad said to you not to come out to anyone else. I guess he does not want to see you hurt or he thinks you are just going through a phrase. I guess he could be abrehensive about it. But do what is right for you.

#13 dude99, May 12, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2010
  13. Sylver

Fantastic! Gotta agree with Jim - coming out to parents can be the hardest. It sounds like your dad took this well. Given that this came as a shock to him, give him time to adjust to this new understanding of you. Don't change who you are, just show him you are still the same loving son you have always been, and I think you'll find your relationship will strengthen even more with time.

14. Damon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    good good im happy 4 ya :slight_smile: