1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accidentally outed

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Whelan, May 15, 2010.

1. Whelan

Whelan Guest

On another forum I saw a coming out topic asking for advice, to which I replied "Slip it into casual conversation like I plan to." What I forgot was on of my friends also reads that forum, and I later got a text from her saying "You're bi?" I talked to her on msn later and her only question was "Who is hotter, David Boreanis or James Marsters" and "Fine then, we'll get along well" after I decided.

I almost outed myself to my mum as well the other day, I mentioned that the new UK equality minister is homophobic and she said something like "Well you're not LGBT so why worry" And she's asked me a couple of years ago if I was gay, before I'd even twigged that I like guys and girls.

Now, after all this I'm considering coming out totally but I don't really know if it's worth it, cos from the reaction I got nothing at all has changed, so should I bother?

2. biisme

Well, congratulations on being out to your friend!!! It's great that she was so awesome about it. :slight_smile:

Well, maybe your mom was trying to lead you into a conversation about it. You said that she has already asked you before about your sexuality. Do you know her views on people who are not straight? Is she accepting, do you know?

Well, only you can decide if you should come out. You don't have to. You may tell people not do it will change anything, so just that they know more about you.

3. Whelan

Whelan Guest

I'm fairly sure my mum'd be fine with it, we're British you see, so I really don't know anyone who'd be more than mildly obnoxious about it.

Thing is, I don't want to go to all the effort of coming out when, A) I'm not sure whether I'm gay, bi, going through a phase or what and B) it'll likely change nothing in my life. What I'd really like is some help trying to figure out who I am.

4. No One

Congrats! Sometimes people surprise you. If you want to come out, do it, but don't feel like you have too.

P.S. David Boreanis

5. Paper Heart

Thats great! Like Biisme said, get a feel for your mom's feelings towards the LGBT. The self identity crisis however isn't as easily solvable. My suggestion is to just not dwell on why you are what you are, but just express what comes naturally to you.

Ps. Sorry No One, but I vote for James Marsters

6. x2x2x2x2y2

Figure yourself out first. Imagine yourself spending the rest of your life with a girl. Is that what you want? Does that feel right? Now do the same with a guy. Which feels better?

Sexuality is a tricky thing. If you're ready to tell your mom, then tell her.