1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't say I feel a relief...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by EhE5, Jun 4, 2010.

1. EhE5

Just mad at myself for being friends with someone who wasn't worth it for so long. For wasting time going out with him to straight bars when he'd never do the same.

I'm not even sure why it suddenly hit me, but I just couldn't stand lying anymore. So I came out to this guy who is/was by far my best friend...
    "Yeah okay"
    "Seriously"
    "I don't believe you"
    "That's your problem"
    "Bullshit. That's fucked up"
    "Not really"
    "So you're a fag?"
    "And damn proud"

Blah, blah, blah. He then said he had to go do something. I don't think we're really gonna be friends again, he's shallow as hell, the type that would feel too insecure having a gay friend. I'm also pretty sure he blocked me on MSN because he's online 24/7 and now he suddenly isn't. One thing's for sure... if we do talk again, it will be because he contacted me. I'm glad I stood up for myself and never apologized for anything, because if we never talk again then at least I can remember it like this.

2. Totoro

Good job standing up for yourself! I don't think you deserve a friend like that >:3
    If he ever wants to be friends again, then it would have to mean he would come to his senses... Hopefully there are better people out there for you!
    I'm kind of a bit irritated about that point where he said "So you're a fag?", Com'on... Really? Did he really have to say it like that >_>

3. EhE5

Maybe he was half joking, but yeah... I can't say I expected much better. Some people say there's never a "right" time, but maybe this was the right time because a few months ago I wouldn't have been as confident. I didn't show a bit of shame and I'm glad for that. Maybe I should have just picked my friends better in the frst place.

I actually suspected he was a repressed self-hating gay guy for a long time. I wouldn't be surprised.

#3 EhE5, Jun 4, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2010
  4. jonny

Nice way to suck it to him. Be proud of who u are.

5. RaRa

What a flamer.

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! It is too bad that your friend reacted in the way he did. He surely lost a great learning opportunity. I am glad that you stood up for yourself and that you are confident and also really comfortable with yourself.

7. Eleanor Rigby

I am sorry your friend reacted this way (*hug*) but you can still be very proud of yourself for coming out to him and standing up for yourself.
    Whatever will happen with him in the future, if he is not able to accept you the way you are, he doesn't deserve to be your friend. You'll make new and better ones.
    Take care (*hug*)

8. EhE5

Thanks for the comments. I wouldn't even say I'm totally comfortable with myself, I don't exactly have a lot going for me right now so it will be weird for a while. I'm just finally proud of myself for the way I acted, I didn't back down like I usually do, I went through with it. I usually beat myself up for not doing things a certain way, this time I was prepared.

After giving it some time I do feel more of a relief now. Still lame this is my first coming out story, but at least it's out there and I don't have to waste my time on a fake friend :slight_smile:

9. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on coming out regardless of how it went. You went in prepared and you did it, and that's a good skill to have to come out to other people.

Now, I'm going to go against what some previous posters said, and suggest you don't give up on your friend too quickly.
    Yes, he was less than supportive. Yes, what he said was rude. And if he is a good friend you deserved a better response.

But... on the other hand... ten years ago, I remember being exactly like that guy.
    When a close friend of mine came out to me, I should have been honoured he came to me, and I should have been supportive, but I made a few nasty jokes and left in a hurry. And frankly, I wouldn't have blamed him if he had just said "well screw you too!" and never talked to me again.

But instead, he acted as if nothing was the matter, and after a few days of awkward standoffish silence we just kept talking about the stuff we regularly talked about. And when being gay came up in any way, he talked about it as if it were any other ordinary topic. I still hated myself for being gay in those days, but we got along pretty well soon after that. And in the end, he ended up the first one I came out to myself, and we just forgot about past mistakes.

Now, your friend might not be self-hatingly secretly gay like I was, but this might just have taken him by surprise. While that doesn't fully excuse what he did, some people just react awkward when surprised and take some time to adjust. He might just be one of those people... So maybe just try to act normal if you see him the next time and give him the time to see you're still the same as before. He might soon come to review his stance.

#9 Filip, Jun 5, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  10. EhE5

He has a girlfriend and he cheats on her (see his character?) so I doubt he's totally gay. Maybe bisexual. Definitely something fishy - and this is not even wishful thinking on my part because I don't find him attractive.

I was wrong about him blocking me on MSN though, still I don't feel like talking to him at all. I will not be surprised if he contacts me this weekend like nothing happened. I'm not necessarily done with him,I guess we'll see.