1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Dream Has Come True

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by s5m1, Jun 25, 2010.

1. s5m1

As I was driving home from work last night, I realized that all of my dreams for my life have finally come true. I am starting this thread because I wanted to share my experience with others who are struggling so that they will see that it is entirely possible to live a happy, fulfilling life as an openly gay person.

As hard as it once was to think it was possible, I have finally achieved the life I wanted. For decades, I denied I was gay and could never envision admitting it to anyone. It was only when I hit rock bottom and could not envision living another day that I finally sought treatment for my depression. Eventually, with the help of a great therapist and a lot of support from EC, I accepted I was gay and came out. This was not an easy process or one that happened overnight. It took a lot of time and work. Sometimes, I thought I would never reach this point, but I never gave up.

My outlook on life instantly brightened. I was no longer ashamed of being gay. My self esteem skyrocketed. I realized that being gay was only a part of who I was, and that there was nothing wrong with that part. Soon thereafter, I developed a great circle of gay friends and an active social life. I also met the man I plan to spend the rest of my life with. After decades of empty relationships, I felt love for someone that is deeper and more intense than anything I had ever felt before (other than my love for my children, of course). Going out to dinner with a large group of gay friends; hanging out in gay bars and enjoying the eye candy; partying hard at Pride; or just enjoying a quiet dinner at home with my partner – life as a gay guy can be a whole lot of fun.

My law firm partners are fully supportive and accepting. We are even in the process of putting together a plan to market to the gay community and to large corporations that want to hire diverse, LGBT lawyers. Being gay is actually giving me an advantage in marketing my practice! Beyond the business side, I am also now free to actively work with gay rights organizations, such as HRC and Lambda Legal, donating pro bono legal work.

I know how hard it can be for many of us to accept that we are gay and then fully embrace who we are. For those EC members who are still struggling, please don’t give up. Even when there seems to be no good options, don’t give up. When the fear of coming out feels overwhelming, don’t give up. As long as you keep working at it, eventually you will get there. It may not be today, tomorrow or next week, but happiness will come.

2. KneeDragger

Thanks for the inspiration. I guess you could say that I'm back at the "I accepted I was gay and came out" phase. I feel better having this weight off of my shoulders, but I sometimes wonder if I did the right thing. Hearing from people like you and Jim who have made it through gives me inspiration that I can make it too. Keep up the positive/supportive posts. They help. :slight_smile:

3. x2x2x2x2y2

Very nice post. Really inspiring.

4. Chandra

This is wonderful. Thank you.

5. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    So happy for you, hope we can all get to the happy and content place one day. And as other's said thanks.

6. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I have tears in my eyes (and that doesn't happen often). That's such an inspiring story, I am so happy for you. Thank you for posting it. ^_^

7. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Great post,with so much for many of us to aim for these sort of posts give such inspiration of what can be achieved.

When reading this i had a moment to reflect on my own situation,which has been very much the same.I can now proudly say i have reached 80%/90% of my dream,most of which has been achieved by inspiration from all the posts on EC.

8. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    great thread, thanks for the positive vibes

9. EM68

I am so happy for you. I know I am getting the but its a work in progress.

10. Jim1454

It's SO awesome to hear all this from you. I remember when you joined and where you started from, and your story really is an inspiration for others. I wasn't aware that you were out at work - which is fantastic. And the fact that you're able to help 'the cause' in such a practical and direct way is amazing!

Having also found my soulmate, I can relate to how incredible it feels to have that someone special in your life. Everyone deserves the happiness that you and I have found in the relationships we have with our partners.

11. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's amazing. Good for you! And thank you so very much for sharing your incredibly inspirational story with us all. :slight_smile:

12. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Thank you that really inspires me a lot.

13. Awww, that's so inspirational! :eusa_clap

I'm glad that you're so happy. It's good to have a positive vibe going around here.

14. stevie

thanks for posting. i have thought for awnile now in the coming out process you have to be ok with yourself first, it is the most important what you think of yourself, your own self esteem. you are helping to confirm my thoughts. thanks

15. sleeb

Thanks for sharing. This is the kind of story that helps me take babysteps to have a happy life myself.

16. padre411

Wow - this is tremendous. I am so happy for you and look forward to getting there myself.

Peace, Mike