1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

An Unprecedented Argument Leading to an Unprecedented Declaration

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by theJosephDean, Jun 30, 2010.

1. theJosephDean

Okay. First a little background information before I begin telling of the past hour's events. My mother and I don't see eye-to-eye on anything. We argue about everything under the sun because we (sometimes deliberately) do things to get under the other's skin.

Today was no exception. I trekked up my horrendous driveway, retrieved the mail, and - as requested - took our push lawnmower and dragged it down to park under neath the back porch. For reference, the house is set into a hill so the back porch is way up off the ground due to the basement and yeah.

Anyways. I told Mom that I couldn't find whatever she told me to sit it by, and she walks down the steps and points to it. I point out that it is underneath the steps, not the porch, and that she just should have specified (I laughed, making a joke out of it, I wasn't actually being serious). She proceeds to flip out like she always does and here goes the argument.

It went from that to me having an "attitude" to my health and blahdeeblahblah.

Irrelevant. Finally, she just goes, "Why then? WHY are you sick all of the time if it isn't anything health-related and isn't because you're mad at me?"

For those of you who have read any of my posts (because I tend to complain everywhere, lol), my boyfriend is eight hours away doing an internship, and I don't get to talk to him as much as I'd like. And missing him really messed up my system earlier this month (we also hit a few rough patches and had to deal with some issues, but that's all done and over with :slight_smile:).

In the following dialogue, X represents her husband, Y represents my sister, and Z represents my sister's wife.

Well I finally looked at her and said, "Okay. Think of it this way. You know how X always gets offered opportunities down in Atlanta and other places to set up stuff for work but always turns them down? Well, think about if he went down there and did that, but he stayed there for months at a time and you barely got to talk to him. You would be upset and furious and sick, too, wouldn't you?" She just goes, "Yeah." I say, "Well that's what I'm dealing with right now." She goes, "Well I'm not that far away for you to not talk to me!"

I pause. "Really? *sigh* Mom, I'm not talking about you." She says, "Then who?" I say, "It's because of Andrew, Mother. I can't talk to him as much as I'd like, and it's just been upsetting me." She pauses and goes. "Oh so you're like a couple, like Y and Z?" "Yes."

Then it's like all the tension built up from the fighting just vanished, and she sat down, and we just talked for a few minutes about it. She gave me the same mindset she gave my sister, which includes the typical, "Well, it's not right by the Bible, and I don't condone it, but you're my son, and I love you, and it's not like I'm going to kick you out or anything," and she did the same half-laugh that I always do.

She also said that she knew the moment I went to go stay with him for a few weeks, but I think she means the end of May, beginning of June. I don't know if she knows that we've been together since March :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Ah well. At least it turned out okay, I guess. I just think it's hysterical that me not finding a simple cinder block turned into... well... that.

*sigh* Just wanted to share my new accomplishment, fellow EC-ers. Now let's hope she doesn't have a tiff whenever I move in with him in a couple of months :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2. Shevanel

Congrats Joseph! (*hug*) I think that's a rather decent reaction :slight_smile:

3. coolguy144

awww good job buddy!! I'm proud of you =]

4. OutToSea

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think that was overall a very good reaction. Congrats. :grin:!!

5. Thats an interesting way to do it, but hey, if it works! Congratulations!!

6. Mister Gaga

Great story dude! Congrats!

7. Davy

Scotland (That's the bit with hills & rain)
    Oh missed this first time around. Woe ist me.

Anyway glad it got bumped back up.

love this bit.

:lol: I have found mother's tend to think everything in there kids life revolves around them.

But anyway a belated congratulations.

8. theJosephDean

Thanks, everyone :slight_smile:

And Davy, sooooo true. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. george678

Aww Congrats Glad it went well!

10. Connor22

congrats dude sounds like you earned it :slight_smile:

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What a great story, Joseph! Nice that she already knew but gave you the time to come out when you wanted to. With some luck, you might find yourselves getting along better in a more general sense too :slight_smile:

12. Mister Gaga

Wow, that was a great coming out.

I'm seriously considering this way of coming out since I'm in a similar situation.

And, congrats =)

13. Charme

Charme Guest

I like this story cuz it let's out a lot of steam. Congratz on coming out to your mom in a progressive manner. Shouting -> Calm Discussion is not an easy thing for some people.

14. jonny

could've been alot worse. she still loves you right, she handled it well i think. hey its a step in the right direction

15. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats. I wish that was my mother's reaction...or better...(by better I just mean without the Bible talk because we're not religious). But CONGRATULATIONS!

*throws a huge party with puppies*

16. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations :slight_smile:

17. concklin

congrats Joseph! glad it went well

18. theJosephDean

Wow, I just saw everyone's comments from today. Thanks a lot :3

That's how we always are about everything. In a way, it's good, but it's also very frustrating.

*gasp* Puppies! :grin: Gah, I wish they weren't so religious >_< She'd get a quote from Jesus for her damn car insurance if it were possible.

19. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone