1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Out to Mom. Weird!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Markio, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Markio

I just came out to my mom. I'm really surprised at myself, because I didn't expect I would tell anyone else in the family until way later.

We were walking the dog, and my mom was talking about my dad, because they're not talking to each other right now, and so divorce sounds like it's gonna happen. Anyway, toward the end of the walk my mom says that my sister once said that she thinks I like guys.
    "So?" I say, because my sister knows I'm gay anyway.
    My mom asks, "Well, are you?"
    I pause, almost conversationally because I'm taking dog bags from the dispenser, and say "Yeah." It made sense, because we were both kind of uncomfortable anyway since she was talking about her marriage to my dad earlier.
    We keep talking, I tell her I knew since I was about ten, no one cries, and we get home.
    I go to my room and text my sister if she outed me to mom. My sister says no, asks what happens, I tell her I came out, and she texts me that mom is texting her right now.
    I start writing this thread, and my mom comes into my room because she's seeing a friend tomorrow morning and wants me to feed the dog. I say yeah, and ask if she's okay.
    She says she is, and that everyone kind of knows, and while I don't think she's entirely convinced (she thinks I need experience with another man to know for sure), she sounds like she isn't falling apart over it. Thank God.

I feel nervous inside, because I have to tell my brothers and dad eventually, and it is going to be awkward now that my mom knows, but I was able to answer her questions with conviction, and I was not disowned. I hope that I can move on now, and just be myself from now on. Although I still feel a little shocked that I told her.

2. zzzero

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's amazing! Good for you! I wish my mom would just ask like that. It sounds like she took it fairly well! Im sure the rest of your family will be fine with it too, especially if you've got other brothers to carry on the family name!

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Markio, what an amazing story. Isn't it interesting how these things just sort of happen out of nowhere when we don't expect them?

And so cool that you didn't deny it and just went with the moment. I'm sure your stomach was in your throat right at that moment. I think you'll be surprised much easier it will be to tell the rest of the family. I think it says a lot about you and how "ready" you are to be yoruself! Congratulations!!

4. Markio

Aw gee! :roflmao: Positive encouragement makes me giggly. Thanks, you two!

For the record, I have three older brothers: one in the Marines, one with a girlfriend, and one here at the house that I'll probably tell next.

5. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations for telling your mom (*hug*) and I am happy for you she seems to take it well.

6. george678

Congrats, for telling your Mom. Parent's are the hardest to tell I think.

7. concklin

It might be awkward to tell your dad and brothers, but at least you have your mom and sister at your side (assuming your sister can be around) for when you tell them. Your mom loves you, so she'll be there for when you tell your dad and brothers.

Hopefully your parents' situation doesn't make that difficult.

8. Dtownandrew

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Congratulations on telling your mom! Just remember that if you're mom was pretty receptive, the rest of your family will probably be too. I told my mom first, and then the rest of my family afterwards. I was so nervous to tell my dad and brother, but it turned out that my dad and brother talk to me about being gay way more openly and often than my mom.

9. TriBi

Hey well done!

...oh - and you need to update your 'out status' now :wink:

10. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats!

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your mom! Well done! :slight_smile:

12. Markio

Well, on another walk today my mom told me about her friend who has a daughter that dated another woman for awhile, but now she's with a man, and my "lifestyle" is dangerous.
    I responded with, "She is probably bisexual. And it's not a 'lifestyle,' why would I choose to be gay? And being gay doesn't mean I'm going to have anonymous or unprotected sex and do ecstasy. Gay people can have monogamous relationships too."
    Then she characteristically trailed off with, "Well, just don't rule out..." what I assume was the possibility that I could be with a woman, which is highly unlikely.
    We moved on in the conversation, and later I told her that her friend with the daughter also has a gay nephew that went to my high school (he's out, I just don't think my mom knows him). I told her about a few of my other friends who are gay, where they're from and stuff, and she didn't seem put off or anything.

I'm sure it will take her awhile to get used to my being gay, but in the mean time I am not doubting myself or taking it harshly that she's hoping I may still like women. By the time I get a boyfriend, maybe she'll accept it. Not that I'm counting on having a boyfriend solely to prove to my mom that I don't like women that way.

13. OutToSea

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It sounds like she's just worried for your safety. Hopefully she'll come around soon and realize that she's worrying for nothing. :slight_smile: And congrats by the way!

14. george678

Yeah I agree, I think it will take time but she'll come round in the end. :slight_smile:

15. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on coming out to your mom. I think you handled yourself pretty well. :slight_smile: It does sound like she is worried, but just give her some time. I'm sure she'll come around sooner or later.

16. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Amazing story. You should be very proud for having the balls of admitting it and not simply lying. Not everyone can do that.

As for your mom, let her have that little hope that you will someday "change." Someday she will see the truth, but until then that little hope might make the whole process a lot easier for both of you.

17. Mister Gaga

Wow, now that's a great story. I'm feeling the awkwardness of the situation since I've been through a similar one, but I think things will get better soon enough =D

18. BrettV

what a fantastic story. You're very fortunate, and like others have said, should be very proud of yourself. What you did took courage. Good for you.