1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nothing Changes.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Carraway, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Carraway

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is a coming out story, and at the same time. It's not.

Nothing changes.

My name Is Jamie, I was 15 years old, when I first came out.

At an early age, I knew something was, different. Nothing I could put my finger on, until I reached puberty. I began too notice I didn't feel the same way about girls, that every other guy did; While what grasp of sexuality I had at the time, I knew I wasn't 'normal'.

When I reached 15. I realized that I was gay, everything my parents were against. Going from a Straight-A student, too nearly failing my classes, I almost flunked. I ignored what friends I had, and became shut-off. Afraid of what I was, and anyone finding out.

One sunday morning, while making lunch with my mother. We got into a heated argument over homosexuality and why its a sin, and why its wrong and why we're not normal, and what they "deserve". My mum, believes we are nothing less than scum, that should be imprisoned or lined up against a wall and shot.

I told my mum what if I was gay, what would she do.

She told me that she wouldn't have a gay son, because she wouldn't allow it. I told her it wasn't up too her what I was, and she says as a parent she'll decide whats good for me.

I told her straight out, I was gay. I was furious, and blurted it out without thinking. My mum stormed out the kitchen, and I didn't see her for a few hours. I knew I made a mistake, coming out. Like all Mum's and Dad's they share everything, and obviously with our very loud fallout my dad comes in.

My dad walks into my room, and asks me if what mum says is true; and I tell him yes. it is. He tells me how can I know, I'm a child.

I just know, I say to him over and over again. He gets upset, and we both begin shouting.

He hits me across the face; and tells me I'm wrong. He hits me again, and again and asks me if I've told my sisters, or anyone else. He throws me against a wall, and I blackout.

I wake up, with my mum in the room, she sees me awake. and starts yelling, telling me that she wont have a fag for a son, and tells me how dare i bring this "fag nonsense" into her house; she spits on me, and kicks me, over and over. My Mum leaves the room. My dad keeps asking me what I was thinking, telling me I'm nothing but dirt now, and he'll set me right. He hits me again, punching me in the stomach, and forcing me too look at myself in the mirror, screaming too me is this what a fag looks like.

He stops, its getting dark outside.

I can't speak; I can't move, and I'm not crying, I don't know why. all I feel is the blood in my mouth, I can feel my broken ribs, when i try too breathe. I'm on my knees, alone. Wondering why I'm not a normal guy, ending up believing this is what a sinner gets, believing that if your mother kicks you while you're on the floor, that you are good for nothing, after all. That if your dad turns on you because your not what you made him believe, you're nothing at all.

I start crying, quietly, as the day turns. It's quiet in the house now.

The next day, my dad takes me out for milkshake....Tells the neighbors and passers by I was in an accident. Nothing changes.

Nothing at all.

Not even me.

Not one day goes by, I don't think about it, and wonder what I did wrong, because too this day I can't understand what that is, and I end up believing everything she said, was true. I'm not openly gay. I'm accepting of what I am; I'm too scared too let myself out, because if your own parents can't understand...who will?.

So you end up, back inside; With the same confusion, the same doubt and the same feeling in the pit of your stomach that something is wrong.

With a smile on your face, You're suffering inside, you don't even realize how much you're hurting, because its all just a lie now.

Nothing changes.

This is for you, the one who is inside, and can't come out. For the one its not a ray of sunshine, and a solemn relief; that so many coming out stories here are. I'm sorry; Hang on. Just Hang on.

Even in the dark, we're still together. It will change.

2. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    Damn, sorry your parents are so uptight. Story totally spooked me out.

3. Eleanor Rigby

I don't think there is any word strong enought to say how revolted I am by your parents reaction. How could someone do this to their child because of who he loves ? It's beyond cruelty... it's inhuman.
    I don't even know what to tell you, except that I am so sorry you had to face such an aweful reaction from you parents. I hope you have find some kind of peace of mind since then and I deeply hope you'll find some support elsewhere than in your family.
    Many (*hug*), Cécile

4. oomf9

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm really sorry that has happened to you. No one deserves to be treated like that and I hope this experience only makes you stronger and will not break your spirit.

I am also in the process of coming out and I also have concerns about coming out to my parents given my strict culutural background. I also asked my dad what he thought if one of his kids were gay and I pretty much got the same answer. I know it may be hard not to have my parents accept that part of my life but I think I am slowly learning to love myself first and I am finding strength in the fact my friends support me.

Take care of yourself and stay strong!

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, Jamie. Welcome to empty closets.

First, thanks for being courageous enough to share the details of your story with the community. I'm really glad you've decided to join and share your experiences.

Like Eleanor, I have a hard time finding the words to express my outrage and anger at your parents for being so ignorant, cruel, self-centered, and hurtful toward you. You took a tremendous risk in opening yourself up, and your parents couldn't even take a moment away from their own self-absorption to understand how it must have made you feel.

You haven't said where you live or how old you are now, so it's hard to provide much in the way of detailed advice, but in any case, you seem to be pretty clear on the important points: you can't change who you are, you deserve to live and love and be respected for who you are, and you won't be happy, in the long term, living your life in the closet.

I can completely understand why it would be so frightening to consider coming out, given what happened. But others will not treat you the same way. As you spend time in this community, and hear others talking about their coming-out process, I think you'll see that the majority of people are accepting and loving, and the grossly inappropriate response of your self-absorbed parents is not typical.

I hope that you'll stick around and spend some time here. I know it took a lot to share your story and that you probably don't have many people who know the "real you", but you can be yourself here, and feel the sense of community and support and love that this community shares.

If you would like to talk in more detail in a less public setting, please feel free to message me or any of the other advisors.

And... please keep sharing your thoughts and feelings :slight_smile:

6. Lady Gaga

Lady Gaga Guest

I too cannot find a word for the amount of disgust I feel towards what has happened to you.

I wish I could give proper advice, but I really do not know what to say. I just am so sorry for what has happened to you.

I can give some advice, but it depends on where you live really. In major cities such as LA, New York, Chicago, Houston, Seatle, and more, there are places for LGBT youths who have been abused for being gay.

They let you live there in their own shelter, they provide for you. In return you either get a job or go to school and you can live there for up to year. Even more depending on your age.

If I was in your situation, I would see if I could get to one of those places.

Once your parents abuse you, you can leave without question under the law (again, depending on location.)

I'm not saying you should run away and go to one of those places automatically. If you genuinely are scared to be with them because of who you are, and you want to leave, that may be the best option.

I know some people who have been in a situation like yours, both of those people went to one of those shelters and it really helped them.

I wish you the best of luck in every way possible, and I hope things get better.

7. Carraway

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks Steve, I think I'm way past those now, there was no escape for me, I stayed with them, not because I was forced too, or because I didn't have the guts to run away. No, I'm still here because I'm...I dunno what I am, in the closet?, no longer gay?...scared?...stupid?; broken.

I'm 20 years old now since then, I move out in less than a year. I'm intelligent and well-spoken I dress in the same thing every day, Jeans and a Shirt. I work as a design consultant, and I compete in online-gaming.

Yet I feel like I never went past the age of 15. I'm stuck, being 15, being the that beaten kid on the floor, who can't understand or rationalize what just happened.

I'm trying to piece together, or at least make sense, of the last 5 years since. I didn't even, graduate. I didn't fail, I just, wanted to fuck up everything about my life or future, because I didn't see one, I still don't.

I've been pushing away a part of me, and when you push a part of you away, you're really shoving everything that makes you who you are, away as well. I've become a person that hates myself because of my sexuality, and I've resorted to denigrating its meaning in all parts of my life.

I know I should be more angry at them, but I'm confused at what they want from me?. They think what just happened and what they did is what parents do when kids go through their little "phases". My mum can look at me and ask me if I blame them for anything, and I don't know why i look back at her and say I don't.

I want them to understand what I feel, I want them too feel what I felt, I want mum and dad too see in my eyes, how badly it changed me, how badly i want too be okay with what i am, because all i see it as is a disease, and something that's messing me up.

How can after what they did, how can I still want them, or love them or just, wanna talk to them about whats going on with me?

I'm too scared to be, just too be me, without watching what I say. Or, making sure I don't stare too long at a guy, or, just, be to flamboyant, or over the top, I don't know. or just look at a guy without feeling guilty, and sick about what I'm doing.

I'm so detached, I think what happened was right, I want to be the person they took away from me, and I don't know how to get it back. I don't know whats right and wrong about me anymore, or how I should live as an adult like this; I don't think I can, I don't know if i deserve it.

I can't, live like this anymore, I'm tired of being confused, of being angry, of being too scared to just be me, I'm tired. It pounds against my head, over and over and over and over. You're not good enough.

I don't think I fully understand why I posted my story, or why I post again. For me, doing something like this, seems silly, even now I consider just deleting this lengthy emo-rant because my mum always says you put your emotions aside, and you focus...Well...Focus on what Mum....Being a fuckup?

But there is nothing, after this, If I don't find, what I'm looking for. if its understanding, or help, or compassion, or even just a friendly face. I'll prove them all right, that I was a good for nothing after all, and just put myself out.