1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Telling my niece

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by x2x2x2x2y2, Jul 22, 2010.

1. x2x2x2x2y2

So about a month ago I told my sister that I wanted to come out to my 11 year old niece(her daughter). She said that she still needed time to get used to it and also she needed time so that if her daughter had questions, she could answer them more easily. So now, a month later, I've been pushing my sister to let me tell my niece. Well my sis gave me the green light yesterday, and the three of us(my niece, me, and my sis) will meet sometime this weekend and I'll come out to my niece.

I'm both really excited and really scared. I'm sure my niece will be confused because she watches alot of tv and she thinks that every gay is the flaming stereotype. I'm sure there will be a bit of awkwardness for awhile, but I believe that eventually things will go back to normal. My niece and I are pretty close. She talks to me about stuff that I know she doesn't tell anyone else, so I really don't want these bonds to break.

Anyways, I should be able to celebrate soon!! (!)

2. Eric

Good luck man, I'm sure it'll all go smoothly. Most kids seem to have a kind of naive way of looking at things like this and they're usually pretty cool about it, so I doubt this will affect your relationship. If anything you'll be a bit closer. You'll probably even teach her a lesson about how inaccurate stereotypes are.

3. nebenebe

Lafayette, Louisiana, USA, North America, Earth
    If she's really close, she won't care that you're gay. She'll still love you. Anyway, good luck, I hope it goes as well as mine did when I told my best friend.

4. x2x2x2x2y2

Thanks guys. I'm kind of sad because I don't think I'll get to tell her till sunday. =/ I was hoping to do it tomorrow. But whatever, sunday will come soon enough.

And honestly I kind of hope that she'll get comfortable enough to talk about guys with me. lol She already talks about guys that she likes(celebs and real guys) with me but, of course, I have to pretend like I can't relate.

My other sister sort of pissed me off the other day. She said that she doesn't think that she want's her kids to know because they're too young. Her oldest daughter is 8, and she asks me what girls I like. Why is it bad if I simply tell her that I don't like girls, but guys instead?? Then she said "Well she wouldn't understand." which I'm sure is true, but there's a lot of things that kids don't understand but you still tell them. For example, a family friend died recently and she told her daughter. Her daughter didn't really understand but none the less she still told her.

Wow. I can't believe I got so sidetracked in this post. =S

5. Bang Bang

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awww. I really hope you get the opportunity to tell your niece. I think it's really important that the children are aware of these things while they're young and their brains are developing. If she thinks all gays are like the stereotypical flamboyant people now, if she doesn't come to know that it's not true before her brain develops, she might be able to adjust to that information. You get what I mean?

I think it would be wise to tell your niece now so she can grow accustomed to it. But then again, I'm sure she wouldn't care or anything, you're her uncle, she loves you no matter who you like.

Try to convince your sister that it's better to get this out now than later.

Good luck! :grin:

6. george678

Good luck...and hope she doesn't go mental!!!!!

7. x2x2x2x2y2

I did it!! I called my sister but she didn't answer, so my mom took me to her house. I told my sister that I wanted to take my niece for a drive and she knew why. She was hesitant but I pushed for it, so she let my niece come.

Once we got in the car I just came out and said it. My niece was shocked(of course) but she was ok with it. She asked a lot of the typical questions. I asked her if she still loved me and she said yeah. :slight_smile: It was nice. The only complaint she had was that I should've told her once she was off track from school. lol She goes off track on friday, so that's not too far away.

I'm really glad I told her. I just hope that my sister sees that the sky didn't fall.

8. Walolas

Congratz on telling her and the good response =)

9. george678

Congrats, good response.

10. Bang Bang

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Awwww! That's so sweet! I'm very happy for you. :slight_smile:

11. x2x2x2x2y2

Thanks everyone!! I haven't talked to her today, but I'll probably call her soon. I'm sure she's still absorbing the news.

12. Bang Bang

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure she'll be fine when you call her. :slight_smile: