1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The first person I ever came out to

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Jeremy, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Jeremy

Okay, this is kind of a funny story. Definitely painful at the time, but it's been over 2 years. I think I can laugh at it now.

It was the end of winter quarter in 2008 during the final choral performance of the year. For the end-of-the-year concert, we put on a bunch of excerpts from musicals to include The Fantasticks, Cats, Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, etc. At the time, there was a girl with an obsessive passion for me. She was kind of a bigger girl though pretty short and had only really known me from that year, but we were also in a professional quartet for Christmas caroling, which is how she really got to know me. She was very open about telling absolutely everyone how obsessed she was with me and was convinced that I couldn't tell she liked me (she never directly told me, but come on, it was obvious). She probably thought this due to my persistent attempts at showing disinterest in her.

For the concert, there were several soloists including myself and the girl who had a crush on me. She decided that for one of the numbers she would kiss me on stage without telling me (something that wouldn't look awkward in context, yet something I was completely against). She had this planned out for a while and thought I didn't know she was going to do it. However, somehow I did know (by overhearing conversations and putting two and two together I guess).

I wasn't entirely sure whether or not she would go through with this, but I knew exactly where it would occur if she did. After much pondering, I found that there was this lovely part in the program where her and I stand right next to each other at the front of the stage, conveniently right before her solo and after the scene I knew she would kiss me in. I decided that if she kissed me, I would tell her I was gay during that formation. It ended up that that's what happened, which is kinda funny because there was a video taken, and I can see myself leaning over ever so slightly to tell her on video, though no one else knows this. :wink:

After the concert she cried but persisted in giving me a ride to the party afterwards (probably because she wanted to talk to me). In the car she seemed very understanding and promised me she would not tell anyone. However, as soon as we got out of the car, she burst into tears, went into the bathroom with some other girls, and told them I was gay (seriously like not two minutes after she promised me she wouldn't tell anyone). Afterwards, she continued to tell everyone until eventually the entire choir knew... the same night.

Of course this was very painful to me, and I didn't take it well at all, but we don't have to go into that. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Overall, I knew she liked me for quite some time, and I turned her down politely countless times. There were even times when she wanted to "have a talk with me," and I would tell her that I was not looking for a relationship. However, it was getting out of control, and it had to stop somewhere.

Lol, yeah. Anyway, that's probably the weirdest way to come out. It kinda sucked though because it went from no one knowing to everyone I know knowing instantaneously. I've since earned my degree from that school, and continued my education elsewhere.

2. fringelunatic

That's quite impressive. I told my first person on Facebook chat, which was a bit impersonal, but I guess my funniest experience was telling someone who thought I was joking - I'm pretty sure she had a soft spot for me, and I'm pretty sarcastic. I think it upset one of my friends more than me though; he was quite offended that she thought I was joking.
    Still that must have been one awkward car journey.

3. Jeremy

lol yeah, for sure! I've learned a lot from that experience though. I guess ultimately it really taught me to hate people and to throw away all of my emotions. I've gotten better though; I'm super friendly now. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: lol I haven't seen her since, though.

I have a friend who's a stereotypical frat boy (tall, big in a not fat way, not all there in the head XD), and he always calls me a faggot, though he deosn't know I'm gay. One time, I don't remember how it came up, I told him I was gay, and he didn't believe me at all. I'm pretty sure he still doesn't believe me. lol

4. fringelunatic

lol, well my doubter came around quite fast, and was really quite apologetic. To be fair she should have known, since I'd spent most of a school trip the week before flirting with a mutual gay friend. She's a complete dear about it now, and advises me that I'm better than the guy I have a complete crush on :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

5. george678

It must of been really crap at the time, but reading it did make me laugh a little, she liked you so much.

6. silentsound

That has to be one of the coolest coming out stories I've ever heard!

Still, I'm sorry it didn't totally work out for you