1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How exactly do you even come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by factwithinfiction, Aug 4, 2010.

1. factwithinfiction

It's really hard to explain my situation but I will surely try my best. I'm out to all my friends and only to two people in my family. The rest of my family does not know and I know they will be most difficult to tell mainly because I wouldn't know exactly how to bring up the conversation or say the words "I am a homosexual".

I'm actually pretty quiet when it comes to the people who don't know my homosexuality so for me to just come up and say "Hi, I'm a homosexual", it would be entirely awkward and despite that's probably the easiest way to do it (blurting it out), its not really how I function.

My family's real religious. I know I won't be able to just change them like that. Already my brother, who doesn't know but believes I'm a homosexual is saying that my friends pressured me to be gay. If I tell them its not a choice but its something you are born with, they laugh and think I'm ridiculous. I need to know how to get through to them and to defend myself against their blasphemy because right now I don't have a strong enough argument against them.

2. Owen91

Owen91 Guest

If you say it enough times, they might start to believe you.

Remember that if you want to avoid an argument, don't make it one. Don't let them attack you and try to convince you otherwise. You know you're gay. I know it. Some of your friends know it. That should be enough proof for you to be able to have strong convictions on the subject. With strong convictions, hopefully you'll be able to hold your ground and stand up for yourself and your sexual identity. :slight_smile:

Related note: Personally, I find it really awkward to say "I'm a homosexual." It's quite... different. It makes homosexuality sound like a disease or a different kind of person. That's because homosexual in that sentence is a noun. Being gay isn't who you are, it's just a part of your overall personality and individuality. Thus, I think using an adjective like gay gets your point across. "I'm gay" is just easier to say, at least for me.

Maybe that would help you, too?

3. Tiny Catastrophe

I understand what you're saying about your family's religious beliefs and such. My mom's side of the family is very religious (my uncle is a priest lol). I didn't exactly know how to come out to my mom because I was afraid of what she would say or how to go about even bringing it up. I'm very bad at being verbal with my feelings especially talking about my sexuality and I would much rather write things down. One day I was supposed to be taking the train to visit my girlfriend because she was very sick and when I told my mom I had to go she refused to let me because it was so last minute. At that point she was under the impression my girlfriend was just a very close friend. So finally out of frustration I went in my room and wrote on a piece of paper "Mom I'm bisexual and (name) is my girlfriend" and I handed it to her and left the room. Once she had time to process it she handled it rather well. The point of that long story is maybe you should try writing whoever it is you're coming out to a letter and give them time to process what you've just said to them. I hope this helps

4. george678

It's REALLY difficult. Some people come out face to face, some come out over chat, some come out in letter's.
    Either way coming out and saying them 2 words "I'm Gay" is hard.