1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to the ex girlfriend (yikes)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by MagicalMatt, Aug 5, 2010.

1. MagicalMatt

Hey, everyone. First post. :eusa_danc

So I figured I'd share this little story. I dated this girl in high school for a year, and it was the most awkward relationship ever. I wasn't really a concerned boyfriend. I definitely wasn't a good boyfriend. Anyway, things ended a while back and then more recently I started coming out to friends. I'm now very much out in my college town, but not so much at home.

The other night, I'm at work and sitting there at the computer and my ex logs on to Skype. I haven't spoken to her since March or so, and we're still great friends, so I talk to her. Conversation is just standard catch-up stuff and whatnot. I'm not really expecting to tell her, but I can hear my best friend in the back of my mind telling me I need to just do it. He's been begging me to for weeks.

So I say, "[best friend] has been asking me to tell you, and I just really should. But...I'm gay. And well...that brings up a lot of things."

I sit there for 10 minutes and she says nothing. I'm seriously freaking out here. Stressin' :icon_sad:

"filling silence" I say.

She sends back, "Don't fill silence. I hadn't read it yet. I'm glad you told me, and I'm not weirded out."

She proceeds to ask me about my family situation and is honestly interested in my life for the first time in a couple years. It was like the old days before we dated and were best friends.

Needless to say this was a wonderful experience and went way smoother than I had expected!

2. Owen91

Owen91 Guest

That's fantastic! I'm so glad you had the courage to just say it. Nice job. :slight_smile:

3. MagicalMatt

Um... @Owen91. Ravenclaw? Am I detecting Harry Potter nerddom?

4. george678

Congrats good way to come out.

5. Jeremy

That's great! It's always nerve-racking when you have no idea what the response will be, but I'm glad to hear that it was a good one! :grin:

6. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations for telling your ex girlfriend :slight_smile: I'm glad she is supportive