1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out to my bi pro-gay sister???

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by GoinStag, Aug 9, 2010.

1. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Here's the thing: I have 3 sisters, one is a half sister. My 1st "full" sister had a girlfriend like 3 years ago but hasn't dated girls since so idk if it was just a one time thing or whatever. My other "full" sister is openly bi. She is also a feminist and gay rights activist type person.VERY liberal. Me and her haven't always got along but we can be civil sometimes. She is moving to Ohio in like 2 weeks.

Should I come out to her? She is obviously very supportive of homosexuality. She would be my 1st person to come out to. So should I come out to her???

2. Beachboi92

if you feel comfortable doing it go for it. Especially if she is understanding you probably won't have to worry about her saying anything to anyone else if you tell her she is the only one you have come out to :slight_smile:

3. blankpaper

YES:icon_bigg

4. olides84

It sounds like she would be a safe first person to come out to. Maybe it could also improve your relationship with her, sharing something so personal, as well if you asked for her advice about other members of your family.

5. AlyssWonderland

If you want to, go for it! She's obviously going to accept you, and she would be a great person to come out to first! :slight_smile: Good luck!

6. concklin

Agreed. You should do it.

7. Prccgeek

If you think you are ready, I think it sounds like a great idea. It might even bring you two closer together.

8. Paper Heart

If you are comfortable with letting her know, then I'd say go for it. It'll definitely boost your moral, get some experience coming out, and maybe bring you guys together. Especially since she's leaving.

9. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Yeah the only thing I had against it was "Should I really be telling her this RIGHT before she leaves"?. But she is incredibly supported of gay/les/trans lifestyle. She was in the gay-straight allience at her college and stuff.

10. RedState

Sounds like if you were going to come out to someone, she would be the one to do it to. From what you have said she is understanding of the issue at hand...and understanding of your family situation, which is equally important.

11. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

Yeah I just don't know how she'd handle it if she knew her own brother was gay. I mean I hope it would go well.

Today she was just snapping at me for the stupidest littlest shit. Then me, her, and my other sister sat down for lunch together and all the bitching just stopped. She started talking about same-sex couples going to dances together and stuff.

I just think it's like she'll be JUST moving in away from home I don't want to just throw this out at her 'cause idk how she'll take it. I'm probably just nervous. Whenever I get really depressed I feel the need to come out. Now I know you aren't supposed to make big important decisions while depressed but in this case would it be ok???????????

12. RedState

Well, from someone that has been to the abyss of depression, I know the feeling of the urge to come out when you are in total despair.
    When I was at my utmost lowest, it was all I thought about.
    But, I sat down and let things settle and realized that the timing was not right for me.

You are right, you always need to be careful when making life-changing decisions when you are in a depressive state. On top of all that, it can be very nerve-wracking (and downright scary) for some to utter the words "I'm gay" for the first time to someone else.

I don't know what your relationship is like with your sister, but if you feel comfortable with it and her, then it might help help your depression to begin the process. How she will take it? Who knows. No one really knows how people will react when they first tell them they are gay. It's a gamble.

Should you tell her, you need to prepare for the possibility of her telling your parents too. If you don't mind them knowing at this point, then it is not a problem. If you still wish to keep this from them, well, that may be difficult.

But it seems that a great deal of your depression, or anxiety, stems from the isolation of not being able to express who you are and the judgement of others when or if they find out. You're def. not alone in that. If you feel the time is right, then--as I said before, she knows your family history--she would be the logical person to come out to first. Having someone that knows you're gay, and having someone to actually talk to about it, goes a long way in curing isolation issues.

13. GoinStag

In Loving Memory

It's not just being gay that has brought on a lot of depression, my childhood plays a fairly big role. Until I was 8 I had married parents and was "home-schooled". I was incredibly happy. Then all of a sudden my parents were getting divorced and it was like somebody pulled the rug out from under me. I immediately had to move, I was thrown in school, and my Mom had almost no money being a stay-at-home Mom all these years. Everything has just continuously been getting worse since.

The other day I found this old dusty home video in my basement. When I popped it in it was from when I was like 4. Me and my sisters were like play wrestling on the floor with my Dad and my Mom was holding the camera laughing.

Ugh I got off track. I think I might just wait 'till we visit her. She'll only be like an hour away. That is if I feel ready.

14. Foxed

Nothing to worry about telling her. She'll take it perfectly fine, seeing as the type of person she is.

It will only get harder, the more you delay it!