1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What seems so simple is so hard

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by RobbieS, Aug 17, 2010.

1. RobbieS

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So, several times in the past month or so, I wanted to tell my mother that I am bisexual, but I always chickened out. I knew (and know) that she is an LGBT supporter, but I just was too scared.
    Then one day, last week, I finally told her. As soon as the words left my mouth, I cringed and curled into a tiny ball in the chair I was sitting in.
    She patted my arm, and I realized I was crying. I imagined she would say, "Robbie, you're too young to know, you're only 13", but what she said was, "Hon, no matter what, I will always love you. This is no exception."
    :slight_smile:
    Even though I know she loves and supports me, I still feel, well, awkward…

2. fringelunatic

Well, I don't know if you've come out to anyone else, so what I say may not be new to you. Coming out is a rather awkward process - I found it more awkward than embarrassing, so that's not something to be ashamed of or worried about. I remember thinking things immediately before coming out like "why do they need to know", or "how do you bring that up in conversation?" or "they never discuss their heterosexuality with me, why should I tell them I'm gay?". So yeah, it feels really awkward at first, but it'll feel less so with time. :slight_smile:

Congratulations - you've done something very difficult! You're also fortunate that your mother is supportive, and happy for you. As for the business of you being too young to know... I can understand that from your mum's point-of-view, you are quite young still (which is great - I wish I was out at your age!) and your mum probably doesn't epect you to have matured enough to be able to reach a conclusion like that. She is supportive though, and now you've told her she's unlikely to be distressed by the fact that you're bi as you grow-up.
    I hope this has been helpful, I'm afraid my long posts tend to get a bit waffley and disorganised, and generally don't address the point I intended them to. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. RobbieS

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I only found it awkward the first time, with my mother.
    I came out to my friend Annabelle 2 days ago, and what she said was,
    "Robbie, *puts hand on my shoulder and smiles* just know that I'll kick the ass of any bitch who is mean to you for it."

4. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out is hard. It might seem simple, but its tough. You've wanted to tell your mom for a while but you've been having fear and doubt, now that its done those feelingshaving no where to go, so their spilling out of you. Be proud you came out to your mom, you'll find that others you are never has hard as the last.

Congrats!

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi, Robbie, and a slightly belated welcome to EC.

Congrats on coming out so early! The rest of your high school years will be a lot more enjoyable because you'll be able to be yourself and not hide or pretend to be someone else! And you're really lucky to have a mom who is so understanding and supportive.

You seem to have a deeper understanding of yourself than most do at your age. I hope you stick around and contribute to the community here because I think you have a lot to offer (and, of course, to gain by being active in our little community.)

Best of luck and keep us up-to-date as your "coming out" unfolds.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Thats freaking awesome :slight_smile:
    Congrats and give your mom a hug from me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: