1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Godfather insists that I'm Straight

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by RobbieS, Aug 19, 2010.

1. RobbieS

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So the other day, I was standing at my bathroom sink, crying to myself about how people in my neighborhood are mean to me because I'm bisexual (somebody heard somehow, and the whole suburb I'm in knows). I promised tp myself not to let it get to me, but it did. My godfather walked in, and asked mr what was wrong.
    So I replied to him, "Would you still love me if I liked guys?"
    He responded, "Robbie, you don't like guys."
    I asked, "How would you know?"
    Him: "I just know. Besides, you're only 13, you're too young for this."

What got me even more upset, was that he never really answered the question. I fear this, like really. I love him, he's like a dad to me, because I don't know my dad all to well.

I cried the rest of the night. :tears:

2. VentinIntrovert

Ah cheer up! People are naturally really mean. On the bright side though, coming out can be a true test of friendship. If people can't accept you for who you really are on the inside then they aren't really your friends to start with. Focus on those people who support you, those are the friendships that will last.

I'm positive you're Godfather still loves you. There's no reason for him not to over something like that, thats just silly. Cheer Up! :slight_smile:

3. paco

paco Guest

it's unfortunate, but these things happen to people that are different like us. don't beat yourself up for feeling bad about it, you're not weak because you let them get to you, that just makes you human just like the rest of us.

you're plenty old enough to know what you like, and don't let anyone tell you that you're not because 11-13 is when people are supposed to notice their sexuality. maybe he's just not ready to know yet. someday, just not yet, and when that time comes, if you need help, you know who to ask :slight_smile:

4. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    People your parents age (or your godfather's age) don't like to think of someone 13 as a sexual being, even though quite a few people have started puberty by that time and are definitely having sexual thoughts.

I think your godfather's response is part ignorance, part denial. I don't think there's any hatred or disrespect in there, just a "head-in-sand" response of "If I pretend it isn't an issue maybe it will go away"

I wouldn't worry. Even though he didn't answer, you can bet it made him think. And I bet the next time you talk to him, it will be a little easier. Of course, if he's a fundy christian type, it may take him some time, but he'll come around :slight_smile:

5. x2x2x2x2y2

A few people thought that I was too young to know when I came out...and I am three years older then you. >_> That's just part of the denial stage.

I'm guessing, because you didn't get some really negative or crazy reaction, that he wouldn't have too much of a hard time with it, if you decide to talk to him again later.

6. MagicalMatt

That's the second time I've heard someone say that that was their response. That's a load of bull. You're 13, you're a sexual person, you know what you want (maybe not all of it, but you know a little), and you're still learning.

People make me so mad sometimes. But, just be yourself and don't let your godfather get you down. Love him, let him love you, but don't let his negative attitude make you upset.

Big Love from Oklahoma

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes parents (and other adults) try a bit too hard to "parent", by treating kids a bit too much like kids. Your godfather's thought process probably went "Oh, he thinks he's gay. If I explain he isn't, then all his problems go away." Which, yeah, is majorly wrongheaded, but I don't think he meant to be unkind. You know your heart. Give your godfather some time to get used to the idea, and I'm sure he'll come around.

Lex