1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on facebook

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by EWU2012, Aug 24, 2010.

1. EWU2012

So tonight I decided to go to a party that had a few friends there. The guy who invited me is gay and I came out to him the same day he came to a party at my place a few weeks ago. When I told him he told me that he knew like everyone else I have told so far. He is also friends with my cousin but I dont think that neither her or her husband knows because on my 21st they were talking about taking a trip to Vegas in december and that I need to find a girlfriend to bring with. I said I could bring my sister since it would be during her birthday but they wanted me to bring a girl I was interested in. I didnt say anything at the time. So back to tonight. I went over to a frat house for a party and my friend who is gay invited me over. He is in the frat openly gay so all his brothers know. I was there for a while drinking. I then decided to go use the bathroom upstairs because I had to go pee and when i went downstairs a few minutes later everyone was gone. I texted my friend asking where they were and he said that they were at the presidents place a few blocks away. At the time I didnt know what he was talking about since he was texting drunk and had bad spelling so i decided to walk home. Once I got home I realized what he said. I then got on facebook to reply to some comments left by him and another guy at the party. After I replied to them I just decided randomly that I would go ahead and come out on facebook. So I changed my interested in section to men but instead of leaving it for others to see I deleted the post off my page. So it still says interested in men but my friends cant see that I changed that status. I know that it is not the best way but I feel so happy right now that I did it even though I have been drinking. The president of the frat will also be working with me this next year so it is a big step. I want to be totally out and not hiding anything but the only thing that scares me is that I have not said anything to my brother. Everyone else in my immediate family knows except for him. I dont know how he would take it once he finds out but at this point I dont really care. My sister said that if he didnt like it that my parents would kick him out of the house since he moved back home. I feel better about that but I still feel bad about the whole situation. I really want to tell him but I am away at college a few hours away. I dont really know what I wanted from posting this except for putting my story out there. So if this helps anyone else to come out thats great and if not its all good because I am happy with my self tonight even thought I have been drinking and may not be in the best state to give any advice. I hope everyone else has a great night of sleep with no big surprises. :slight_smile:

2. I'm glad things seem to be going pretty well for you. Best wishes on becoming "totally out" eventually! C:

3. EWU2012

Thanks. I am out to a lot of my friends here at college but I have only told one person I went to high school with so that makes me nervous. I have been feeling better about it lately though which is why I decided to change it. I know it is not a huge deal but just knowing that it is changed makes me happy.

4. foofighter

I'm a freshman in college and out to my best friends in high school. I'm considering being out on Facebook only to people in my college network but haven't gotten the guts or will to do it yet. But I want to. I just don't know anyone else my age that has done it. Everyone I know that's gay just hides that part of the profile or lies. Mine is hidden.

5. EWU2012

Yeah I was going to hide it from some people but as I was thinking about changing it I realized I didn't want to have someone see and say something then have people who could not see it be wondering what was going on. I don't have anything on my facebook on a private setting so even people who i am not friends with can read everything. I figured it will also allow others who may see it and that are gay decide to add me as a friend or somehting. I know once school starts in a month a lot of people will probably be searching my page since I will be on student government and meeting a lot of new people. It should make for an interesting Junior year.

6. Owen91

Owen91 Guest

Same here. All my gay friends just omit that bit from their profiles. I do, too.

7. Shyvin

Congrats! I've been really thinking about using facebook to come out myself. :slight_smile:

8. lunaj92

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hope your out completly soon good luck