1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Enaithor, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Enaithor

I came out on facebook :grin: which is great
    But then my mum decided that it was "dangerous" and to "be careful" (as if she cared) and she basically started having a go at me for coming out on facebook...
    How bloody supportive :/
    She actually expects me to stay closeted for life. She does seem to have a lot of latent homophobia :/

2. fringelunatic

:/ There's another case not dissimilar to this in the advice forum. Sorry to hear that, but on her case it may not just be latent homophobia bu technophobia too.

Sorry about what happened, but if I were you I'd let it blow over. If you're friends with her on Facebook you could always just change your privacy settings for her so it looks like you aren't FB out. But that's a tad dishonest.

3. Enaithor

Yeah to be honest that's a bit ridiculous
    She has always been technophobic, she thinks I have no idea what I'm doing, when really I'm pretty computer-streetwise, and I know what I should and should not disclose...
    But I know that she is latently homophobic, and that she expects me to never come out :/ to be honest, she isn't very clever.
    Then she started making excuses just now about how even she wouldn't put that she's interested in men. Because she's worried about it being private information :/ and that it makes her sound desperate or some crap like that.
    But obviously, I just put it on facebook to make it official, I don't want to have like some week-long coming out ceremony at college or anything = put it on facebook before the start of college

I really wish I wasn't friends with her on facebook, she seems to spy on me enough as it is

4. fringelunatic

Lol, same, I sometimes wish I hadn't agreed to add my mum.

5. Eleanor Rigby

Your mom is right about one thing : what you put on facebook is not private anymore.
    It's possible that you're mother have some issues with latent homophobia, but I think she is also very concerned that you could have to face bad reactions because of coming out on facebook. Maybe your mother is ill at ease with the fact your gay, but I think she is also trying to protect you, wich is basicaly what mums do.
    I think you'd better respect her concerns and have a talk with her about why you want to come out on facebook and what you do to protect the privacy of your informations. If she sees that you have been thinking about it and that you're careful about what you're doing, she might be more keen on trusting you than if you act as a careless teenager.
    Take care, Cécile

6. Enaithor

I know that facebook isn't private, although, as my mum was worried about colleagues of hers knowing that I'm gay, I set that to friends only...but I am *technically* out to everyone now, although no-one *knows* for sure yet
    It's just so irritating that she does like, the opposite of supporting me, doesn't help that she's a lot older than most teenagers' mothers, so there's a huge generation gap
    I've been talking to her about it, because she kept on going on about it, and she was all like "I thought you weren't going to do that" and it's like *facepalm* fail because I never even said that, I said I would wait until after high school...
    She will never trust me, to be honest, she thinks I'm completely stupid, when in reality, I'm a lot more streetwise than her (I can say that confidently because she isn't at all streetwise)

7. Eleanor Rigby

Maybe you should let her the benefit of the doubt, especially as you said she is a bit more older than most teenager's mothers. Yes, she may have a hard time accepting that you're gay, and she may have some misconceptions about what being gay means. That doesn't mean she is not going to be able to accept it, she just needs some time, and maybe to be educated about it. And that is something that you can do.
    Did you think about maybe giving her some Pflag material to eduacted herself about gay issues ? Here is a link to a Pflag booklet for parents of LGBT people.
    http://www.pflag.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Publications/Daughters_Sons.pdf
    Maybe you can print it, read it and give it to her, telling her you know that she is having a hard time with the fact you're gay and that you're willing to answer any questions she may have.
    I'm not saying it's going to do any miracle and she probably will still need some time, but at least she'll know she doesn't have to deal with it on her own if she needs support.
    Take care (*hug*) Cécile

8. fringelunatic

9. Enaithor

The thing is, my brother came out as gay at about 5 years ago and she's always just done it completely wrong...when I came out to her she asked me if I wanted to be a girl
    I was like *facepalm*
    It's probably made even worse by the fact that she doesn't accept that she isn't very accepting of it, she doesn't realise that having the view that homosexuality should be hidden is actually a view that doesn't accept it
    If you get what I mean
    Gonna check out that fflag stuff though

10. fringelunatic

11. Enaithor

Good luck telling your parents :slight_smile:

12. fringelunatic

Thanks, but this isn't the first time I've decided that I'm about to do it. Last time I only managed to tell my little(ish) sister.

13. Enaithor

Are you parents like allies lol

14. fringelunatic

lol, no, not really... They are married, which I guess puts them on the same side though...

15. Enaithor

I'm probably being dumb, but what do you mean lol

Also, baby when it's love if it's not rough it isn't fun~

16. fringelunatic

:wink:
    Yeah, you asked are my parents allies... unless this is some chav slang that I'm not following...?

17. Enaithor

Allies, as in, straight allies...straight people that are for gay rights basically
    and all that jazz
    *jazz hands*

18. fringelunatic

lol, sorry, with you now. No, they wouldn't be quite as active as that would imply, and I think my mum might be rather innocent about homosexuality in general. My dad's just, well, indifferent really. He doesn't go out to pride marches, but he's not homophobic or anything.

19. Enaithor

Ah right.
    Did you do it yet?

20. fringelunatic

No. I'd intended to do it at dinner, but conversation was leading very much away from the way I'd wanted to do it, then I'd decided I'd do it this evening, except my sister was watching a film with my mum, and I really want to tell them together.
    To tell you the truth, that's half an excuse really anyway. So I've decided to send them each an email, probably tonight, and get up early tomorrow morning, to intercept each of them when they get it.