1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out again after three years

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by factwithinfiction, Aug 28, 2010.

1. factwithinfiction

So I've been what I call "Moderately" out of the closet since my freshman year in high school. What that means is I don't tell people they usually ask me. There are few that I tell just because but for the most part its usually really personal to me and if they wanna know they can just ask or look on my facebook or whatever. It really doesn't matter to me.

That's not the point of my post. When I was a freshman I came out to two members of my family: my mom and sister. Even though I was more than desperate to tell more people, I didn't think it was a good idea because my family might have just thought I was confused. Well fast forward three years-I'm out of high school and I had yet to come out to the two main men in my family: my stepdad and my brother (my dad is a different story). I wouldn't say I was more withdrawn about my sexuality, it was just more like its personal so back off type of thing. Anyway, I decided to take a leap of faith and come out (rather randomly) to my stepdad.

I was scared because my stepdad never had the greatest track record with homosexuals. It wasn't that he beat one up it was just the usual homophobic comments. And it was weird because I usually don't get super duper anxious about this but I was now. I was SO close to missing the opportunity to tell him but I grew a pair at that moment and just told him.

Surprisingly enough, when I told him he was okay with it. In my head I was just like :eek:. He didn't seem to know much about the subject and I had to inform him that nobody plays the girl in a gay relationship and that I've known since I was young (the tender age of 5 to be exact) and that I wasn't confused and all that fun stuff. Despite all that he was really open about it and it took me by surprise but now finally it feels really good for me to be completely out in my own home and I don't have to be hiding it anymore. The feeling is just phenomenal and I feel proud of myself to be able to accomplish such a positive thing.

Now I just have to come out to my forsure homophobic brother and the rest of my family but that can wait until I'm 110% ready. I guess the purpose of this post was just because I needed somebody to tell so if you read all of this bravo to you! :lol:

2. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations for telling your stepfather (*hug*) This proves once more that people can do loud homophobic comments about gays in general and be kind and considerate when someone thay love come out to them.
    I'm happy for you things went this way.
    Take care (*hug*), Cécile

3. lunaj92

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats dude its sucks u waited so long just to see he was fine with it lol

4. peaceandlies

Thanks for posting that. it help with seeing how hating parents might still love me. not sure i'll risk it though...