1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biggest step ever

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by peaceandlies, Sep 5, 2010.

1. peaceandlies

My first come-out was when i was 12. It was the bloody hardest thing ever, I came out as bisexual as opposed to gay, and I wasn't even capable of saying the word. But still, it was one person down and it helped. The girl in question is still my best friend and she's someone I am very graateful for.

I grew up in a conservatitive christian village, with christian parents, who'd taught me homophobia. I remember for the first time, when I was seven, knowing there was something wrong with me. The internalised homophobia lasted until about a few months ago, when i finally realised I was gay, and stopped unconciusly fabricating responses to guys.

Over the summer I came out to a bunch of people who I will mostly never meet again, although I have kept contact with quite a few. Then my best friends outed me to one of her friends right in front of me, and for about a minute I was furious. It was my decision about when I was going to come out, and I hadn't planned to come out to someone I barely knew.

But then I calmed down. The girl wasn't homophobic. She may even have already known, after commenting on how the rainbow wristbands i had on kept slipping into the wrong order. And I had just told my best friend I was going to come out as soon as I got back to school. And so I ended up greatful to her for doing something I should have done myself.

All summer, I had been promising myself I would come out to my 'best friend in spain' - not my best friend, but my best friend in the same country as me. Her name is Stella. I had oportunities to talk to her on MSN all summer, but I promised myself I was waiting until I met her in person, so that I didn't look weak or vunerable. But the time came, and I couldn't speak. I was just terrified of her treating me like you're average lesbian, who's a faggot as soon as I leave the room.

So I went back to MSN, and promised myself I would really do it. And of course, she wasn't on. The next day, she did come on, and finally, I erased the very last of my internalised homophobia. This is the convo we had:

And she was totally ok with it. And a load of crap has happened since I told her, and I just can't stop feeling happy. It was a bit roundabout, the way I said it. But i know next time, when I go into school with my special lesbian t-shirt, that I will just be able to say "Yes, since you ask, I'm Gay". Since school starts on Wednesday, I should be freaking out about it, but the fact that I'm not is a very good sign.

A note to those thiking of coming out:

Coming out had been the most important thing in my life, and apart from the fact that I don't have to lie anyone, It seems to have given me the biggest self esteem boost I've had in years. I'm waiting till my parents have payed my university fees before I tell them. Its not a matter of fear, just knowing how they'll react, and it will certainly involve withdrawal of financial support.

I know I will meet a lot of homophobia at school, but I've always liked it when people I hate are scared of me. This is no different. What matters to me is that I have a friend who I know will support me no matter what, and I think most of my other friends will not reject me either.

So, wish me luck for Wednesday, and anyone who wants to ask help with coming out, go ahead. I think I've had a fair load of experience with it that I haven't written down above, so I might be able to help.:eusa_ange:eusa_ange:eusa_ange

2. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    Good luck!

3. TriBi

Congrats - and good luck for Wed (I kinda think you won't need it tho' :wink:).

4. AlyssWonderland