1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bisexual

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by yourillusion, Sep 8, 2010.

1. yourillusion

Sometimes I keep feeling like it's not necessary to come out since I'm bi. It is a weird feeling, almost like I don't 'deserve' to, to have the support or something. Like I should be able to just keep that part of myself to myself and not make a big deal out of it. But yet it feels really important and I think I'm just trying to give myself an 'in' to keep hiding. Does that even make sense?

2. Darkwing65

Yeah, i know what you mean. Your not completely gay but not straight either. I feel like being bisexual is a bit like being in limbo, and no one really takes us seriously. It upsets me because the world is no where near being black and white; its a lot more bisexual then everyone likes to think. :wink:

3. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey I think that makes total sense and im sure you will find that lots of people here have felt like that at some point. I think even people that are gay can sometimes feel a bit like that as on one hand they think they shouldnt have to come out (people shouldnt just assume you are straight) but on the other hand once they have accepted or begun to accept their sexuality it is an important step to share it with others.

A couple of things I do know are that you definately deserve support just like anyone else that is gay, straight, transgender, bisexual or questionning, and you will find lots of help and support here at EC.
    I also think all of what you are feeling is pretty common when people are first admitting their sexuality to themselves and trying to come to terms with it. Its natural to want some safe haven place to beable to retreat back into. But you will become more confident and it will get better.

4. 16bit

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, I understand what you're saying...
    I'm also bisexual and I don't feel obliged to shout to the whole world that I'm bi because it's not something that significant to me.
    Yet, it plays a huge factor to who I am now.
    especially my personality and style...
    But yes you do make sense, and here's a little advice:
    well... it really depends on what YOU want and if you are very open to your sexuality
    but my advice is to only tell your close friends... or just friends in general, because I personally am not the type to go around and blurt it out to everybody.
    But like I said, it depends on what you want to do.

5. RaRa

What if you fall in love with a woman? Are you going to not pursue it and deny deny deny? And if you do pursue it are you going to keep it a secret? This will only make things worse.

6. yourillusion

Thanks for your replies..

Rara, that's what I keep telling myself as to why it's important. If I met someone I'd want to pursue it and not have to deny or hide it.

7. peaceandlies

I think theres 2 reasons why to come out.

1, the more of us that come out, the more acceptance we'll get.

2, because lying to people (and yourself sometimes) almost drove me crazy

8. Caprica

Caprica Guest

Its not necessary to come out if you are bi. You could hide it for the rest of your life and hope that you will fall in love with a wonderful girl. After that, you will have to live with your secret. Live with the thought of "if shes were to find out would she leave me?"

What happens if one of your kids comes out gay? Would you blame yourself? Would you tell your kid?

Yes, you don't have to come out. The thing is that you shouldn't have to hide it. I know its extremely hard to come out as bi. Specially with everyone telling you that you are just confused or that its just a phase.

Good luck with coming out. It is an important part of who you are and don't let anyone tell you any differently :slight_smile:

9. yourillusion

Thanks so much you all. You bring up some really good points and it's nice (and different) to feel such support.

10. adam88

I know exactly how you feel right now. If I come up with anything helpful to say other than mere sympathy, I'll let you know. :wink:

11. Shevanel

This xD I started writing a post yesterday, but I stopped because I didn't know what to say xD

12. Pseudojim

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, the reason i wanted to get it out was so i could act naturally, say and act how i want, without people silently (and sometimes not so silently) asking the question "is he gay, or what?"

So i suppose for me, coming out was more about other people than me to begin with, but it became more about me and less about other people as time went by.

but yeah, it's a bit of a limbo-land!

13. AlyssWonderland

I've felt this way before, but its alot better when you're out. People won't be questioning if you're gay or not. It makes it alot easier to just be yourself. :slight_smile:

14. yourillusion

Alyss, I love your signature. Made me lol. :slight_smile:

Thanks again you guys!

I am thinking of changing my facebook profile on 'coming out day'. It really has been too long.

---------- Post added 11th Sep 2010 at 04:39 PM ----------

I totally agree. And it's tough to be accepted by either side because they want you to 'make up your mind'. But for me, I'd have to force myself if I were to narrow my attraction to just one gender... Which is what I've been doing for years and it doesn't feel natural. I think I'm ready to be done with the forcing already.

15. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well here at EC we dont want you to make up your mind.

16. Holmes

The main reason to come out is if you think it likely that you'd find yourself in relationship of any duration with a woman, you would probably like to let others know. You might also like to feel free to talk to people if something might be happening. Or even just to feel free to talk about your feelings. Everyone deserves support, and I hope you have good friends who are there for you to talk about this or anything else. Being gay isn't like being part of a club, where you have to agree to be a full member all the time.

You might very occasionally get hassle from gay people who don't like people who are just bi. That's rare and don't attach importance to what people like that say. Your own feelings are what is important.

17. Caprica

Caprica Guest

The only thing that I don't like about this is that it implies that you can choose to "act bisexual or not". If you are bisexual then there is truly no way to know who you will end up with.

Coming out doesn't mean you have to tell everyone. It just means that you won't stop yourself from falling for a guy JUST because of what people will think.

The choice is obviously yours, but just because we can "hide" it doesn't mean we should even try. Just my thoughts.

18. Holmes

If I it came across like that, you got me wrong. I think it's possible for someone who's bisexual to have all their relationships with one gender, or the other, to go out with a few of one for a good few years, and then the other, or for it to be seemingly random. It depends on the person, and what bisexuality means for them, who they meet, and who means more to them emotionally.

So yourillusion, even if you don't think it likely that you'll be in a relationship with a woman, it could be good to tell a close friend, so that whatever happens, they'll understand.

19. Darkwing65

Don't force it! You don't have to like just one gender. I would be lying to myself if i tried to just like one. I don't, i like both. :slight_smile: I'm an equal opportunity offender. (&&&)

20. peaceandlies

think about it. come out, and you double your chances for a date.