1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Managed To Do It

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by Lebowski45, Sep 10, 2010.

1. Lebowski45

So, somehow, God knows how, I managed to finally get the words out to tell my sister. I felt like I physically had to drag the words out of my stomach......I feel so relieved now. I unexpectedly started crying aswell, but it couldn't have gone any better. She told me she knows lots of gay people and couldn't have been any more accepting, she told me to only tell our parents when I felt ready and not to be rushed into it. So thats something to think about. I'll tell my brother today hopefully (it doesn't seem so hard now) and then.....I can relax for a bit and think about what to do next :slight_smile: Thanks to all who've offered encouragement :slight_smile:

2. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations! :thumbsup:

It sure does feel good to have support from family, doesn't it? the first family member can be nearly as tough as telling the first person, but as always, it's downhill from there.

Best of luck in telling your brother later today!

3. Lebowski45

It feels excellent :slight_smile: Just knowing that there's someone in your family who'll stand by you nomatter what makes a big difference to how you feel. And your right, this was the toughest "coming out" I've had to do so far (partly due to the fact that I couldn't hide behind msn I think) but I feel like things will be so much easier now :slight_smile: More than anything, I just feel relief that I did it. Thanks very much :grin:

4. RedKnight

yay go you :slight_smile: congratulations

best of luck for your brother now then

5. Jiggles

Jiggles Guest

WOO HOO! :grin: Well done! told you you could do it! :slight_smile:

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    happy dance!!!!

(!)(!!)(!)

7. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,well done for finding that courage.Now youve managed your first family member i think you should consider telling your parents face to face when you feel ready,by the time youve told your brother you should find parents, being the third family members no more awkward than your sister was.

Just keep thinking about the relief and open living once these last two awkward bits are out of the way.

Good look and keep us posted.

8. x2x2x2x2y2

Congrats!! That's awesome!! I know what you mean when you say someone in the family that will stand by you no matter what. It feels great. Good luck with coming out to your bro and keep us posted!!

9. Caprica

Caprica Guest

Woot!!! Congrats on doing it and on havign an amazing sis :slight_smile:

10. Lebowski45

Thanks everyone! :grin: I couldn't have done it without the support of EC, it's helped so much. I would have posted back sooner if my computer hadn't insisted on causing me problems, its another achievement I've managed to get it up and running again :lol:

I told my brother aswell and it was another great reaction, he took in the information, hardly batted an eyelid, said it was cool, and then we proceeded to talk about something else like nothing had happened. That's five people I've now told and none of them seem to care at all, they just act the same way around me as they always have! I think you tend to make a bigger deal out of it in your head than it actually is.

So, I feel a lot more comfortable now that my brother and sister know and that they'll back me up nomatter what. I've another brother - who doesn't live here - to tell and that'll go well too I think, it's just getting an opportunity to tell him, which I will do when it arises. I'm not going to tell my parents in the next day or so, but I'm thinking about doing it soonish. I always envisioned telling them by letter, and I've actually drafted one out, but I'm starting to think about doing it face to face, although it still scares me somewhat.....I want to tell both at the same time, and while I don't think my mum will have much of an issue with it, my dad - although I think he'll come round over time, and once he understands it - will be more difficult, hence my want to write a letter and clearly explain how I feel. Because I'm pretty lousy at speaking.

Anyway, that's all for another day. Thanks again everyone :slight_smile:

11. RedKnight

I think your just liking all this attention you are getting :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

no seriously though, well done. its good that you brother has taken it and still treats exactly the same, just what you want in a brother.

(insert other advice here)

and once again, congratulations :slight_smile:

12. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi.glad to hear your brother took it so well,exactly the same as my brother did when i told him.

Now you have both on your side and you think your mum will be ok it sounds like your dad will have a hard time being negative,when he sees everyone else being accepting he will soon come round.Of course,that may not be a worry at all,he (as my dad did)may well listen and accept it and just say"if that what makes you happy,i dont care".He may surprise you,his son is differant,not just someone he knows who happen to be gay.

Good luck,when you get around to telling them(hopefully face to face!).Your doing really well so far.

13. Eleanor Rigby

Congratulations for coming out to your brother and sister ! I'm happy for you they are supportive :slight_smile: I hope things will go the same with the rest of your family. Let us know how things are going.
    Take care (*hug*), Cécile

14. peaceandlies

congrats. i know you were scared:grin:

15. yourillusion

Congrats! Family is the hardest I think. Good luck talking to your brother later too!

16. Lebowski45

My very belated thanks (major comp problems :frowning2: ) for all your kind words and advice :grin:

I've not yet told anyone else but I've been thinking about it a lot over the past week or so, and I think I'm going to tell my parents in the next few days. I was going to say last night but the opportunity never really arose and both of them have stopped for a long weekend holiday from work and I don't really want to spoil it at all, so I'm thinking of doing it on Monday night, the night before they go back to work.......and I've decided to do it face to face :confused:

Once that's done, everyone else can know really, its just a matter of how I go about it but that's another matter.

Thanks again :slight_smile:

17. csm123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi and well done.

With your parants having a bit of time off work,you could be lucky and get a bit of calm relaxed atmosphere in your house by the end of the weekend,this may be a good opportunity and still give them time to talk and take it in on monday(just a thought).

Good luck whenever you get the opportunity and try to keep everyone calm and positive.

18. Lebowski45

Yes, I think I'm quite flexible about when I'm going to do it. I think if an opportunity comes up I'll just take it. I was even considering doing it tonight for a while because it was just us three in the house, but they were sitting chilling, watching the tv and I didn't really want to spoil the night, I'd rather tell them when they're not really doing anything.....I think I'll know myself when it feels right, but hopefully it's soon. I feel like once they know I can tell anyone else with ease. With every day I feel more and more confident about it, and all the fear is starting to fade. I've sampled a little of what it's like to be open and I want to experience it more and more :grin: