1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Overwhelming

Discussion in 'Coming Out Stories' started by LostandFound, Sep 11, 2010.

1. LostandFound

LostandFound Guest

I came out to about 80 people (close friends and acquaintances) in the span of 2 days a little while back bringing the total from about 20 to 100.

The coming out all went fine and not a single person had a problem with it but now I feel completely overwhelmed. I feel like I've been thrown into the deep end and I have no idea what I'm doing. I usually drink about as much as any student but since I've come out I've been drinking more because it numbs these feelings.

Coming out has changed things, not in a bad way, but things are more difficult with me. Girls are now way more touchy feely around me and being the 'new guy' I'm always getting hit on by the gay guys around me (in my jobs, school, friend groups). When I was closeted I was so scared of people getting close to me and while I look forward to overcoming this fear at the moment my impulse is to push people away. This combined with the drinking, I just end up being really insulting and having to apologize in the morning.

I just feel so overwhelmed, like everything is spinning out of my control and I can't do anything about it.

2. Eleanor Rigby

Hey (*hug*), things are going to be ok :slight_smile:
    First congratulations for coming out. 80 people in two days that's huge, to say the least, and I totaly understand that you're feeling overwhelmed.
    Just take it easy for a few days.
    Everyone had been supportive wich is already a good thing. Now, you just have to get used to the fact that you can be yourself around these people and that you can drop your usual defense mechanism.
    Maybe stop drinking completly for a little while, until you feel comfortable again, that would spare you the apology in the mornings :slight_smile: And, when you feel uncomfortable with people mentionning the fact you're gay, just be honest with them and just say "I came out very recently and I'm not feeling totaly comfortable with the fact people know yet."
    That will enable you to get some space without having to push people away.
    Take care (*hug*), Cécile

3. peaceandlies

Excelent. its a great feeling, i find, not having to hide anymore